2359glenn | studio
Dec 31, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #34,877 of 39,986
Yes, I have a pair of these RFT 6J5 tubes, a triplet actually. I have posted about them before, let me see...

Here we go, back in August:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/2359glenn-studio.600110/page-1876#post-15102120
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/2359glenn-studio.600110/page-1884#post-15107810

Oh and Happy New Year!!!
Hi LG,
Thanks for refreshing my memory - now I remember! What I DO remember from that post, and I have been able to verify it myself a number of times, is that a pair of triodes sound better compared to the same tube in dual triode format; i.e. 2x6J5 sounds better than one 6SN7 of the same tube.
Do you remember anything from your readings about the Russian 6J5GT equivalents?

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #34,878 of 39,986
One of the hallmarks of the GOTL is the almost countless number of possible combinations. I am currently running Tung-Sol 6BX7, Brimar 5U4G and Mullard EL42 and it sounds great to my ears. :)

Happy New Year!

(And I have been wondering how these Twenties will compare to the Roaring Twenties of the last century. :) )

Interesting observation on the '20's g...

And interesting tube combo as well.

Cheers!

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #34,881 of 39,986
Happy New Year!

Jan 1, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #34,882 of 39,986
Happy New Year

Jan 1, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #34,883 of 39,986
Happy new year all!

How about some output rolling QnA ...
  • When choosing outputs, my amp (which is similar/ same-enough as several others out there) can handle 4 or 6 of 6B(LX)7s. Is it purely preference (in the sound) based? Is there any reason to prefer more or less for any other technical reason?
  • Same story for 6080s. I know @mordy you like 4x 6080s (part of your "platform"), and recently @JazzVinyl also had 4x 6080s, but were heating externally. Given the amp can handle the sum of the amperes per tube (I believe my amp is ~13A max), why heat externally?
    • There was also some dialogue back a while about running 4x Bendix 6080s (they will be hot) and a suggestion of at least using socket savers to "protect the amp". There was perhaps a suggestion that the whole enterprise was best avoided (even though they fit into the same sum-of-amps acceptability). Was this just a temperature issue? If so - is the goal to protect the amp itself from the raw heat? There were comments like "blow up the amp" that seemed worth understanding better!
  • Depending on the amplification factor, the volume will be in various ranges on the dial (i.e.; low like 7-9:00, or near 12:00, or > 12:00). Is there any reason to care about this aside from volume dial precision? I mostly care for output rolling presently, but I don't think the answer to this is limited to caring about output tubes.
OK, that is enough amp-query for now!

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #34,884 of 39,986
Happy new year all!

• When choosing outputs, my amp (which is similar/ same-enough as several others out there) can handle 4 or 6 of 6B(LX)7s. Is it purely preference (in the sound) based? Is there any reason to prefer more or less for any other technical reason?
  • Same story for 6080s. I know @mordy you like 4x 6080s (part of your "platform"), and recently @JazzVinyl also had 4x 6080s, but were heating externally. Given the amp can handle the sum of the amperes per tube (I believe my amp is ~13A max), why heat externally?
    • There was also some dialogue back a while about running 4x Bendix 6080s (they will be hot) and a suggestion of at least using socket savers to "protect the amp". There was perhaps a suggestion that the whole enterprise was best avoided (even though they fit into the same sum-of-amps acceptability). Was this just a temperature issue? If so - is the goal to protect the amp itself from the raw heat? There were comments like "blow up the amp" that seemed worth understanding better!
  • Depending on the amplification factor, the volume will be in various ranges on the dial (i.e.; low like 7-9:00, or near 12:00, or > 12:00). Is there any reason to care about this aside from volume dial precision? I mostly care for output rolling presently, but I don't think the answer to this is limited to caring about output tubes.

You will get buy with four 6080s but a good idea to get socket savers to lift them off the chassis. But will be fine for awhile.
If getting socket savers get them for all the sockets to save them if you are rolling allot.

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #34,885 of 39,986
Happy new year all!

Hi cd,
Interesting that you are concentrating on output rolling. There is a huge debate about how much impact the output tubes have on sound - 20%?, 50%? etc. I would avoid answering that question by saying that it is a question of synergy; for sure the output tubes play a very significant role re the sound. On the other hand, once I have found a combination I like, I mainly concentrate on driver tube rolling, but at times different drivers may need a change in output tubes to sound their best.
Re 4 or 6 6BL/X7: There are two factors involved: sound, and noise. The 6BLX7 tubes have a high amplification factor and in certain combinations the background noise and compatibility can be affected by using 4 or 6 tubes.
Re using 4x6080: To some it may sound like overkill since one pair supplies enough power. However, personally I have found that 4x6080 suits me better because it sounds better to me with a more filled out sound. I use a Bendix type graphite tube for slam and impact, and a RCA for warmth and mid bass. I think JV uses Sylvania/Mullard. These tubes definitely run hot. I also reduce the heat to the chassis by using socket savers which act as insulators. Than I use two small fans (3-4") to further lower the temperature. The amp should not go above 80C; with one fan it reaches around 45C and with two around 33C (some variations depending on ambient room temperature and tubes used).
Heat is the main enemy of electronics.
Re JV's use of external power I think it is an issue of having a quieter background - JV has to weigh in on this.
Re the volume, different tubes and tube combinations affect the volume. Recently i added a set of TFK EL11 to the pair of 6J5 drivers, and the volume went down a little. As far as I know, as long as the amp produces enough volume for what you need and there is no distortion, I don't think that it matters.
There is another debate whether a tube amp sounds better at high volume than at low volume, and some people try to adjust their sources so that the tube amp runs at high volume. Don't know the answer to this question. Personally, I use my GOTL mainly as a preamp, and by fiddling with the volume controls on my preamp and the GOTL I try to achieve a setting that produces the least background noise. Usually what works best for me is a volume setting around 9-10 0'clock on both the preamp and the GOTL.
I think that in the past Glenn was worried about running so many tubes at near the 13A capacity in the GOTL. However, he had told me that by adding external cooling you could go up to 14A. The most I have used is 12.4A and after extended use this seems perfectly safe using socket savers and fan cooling.
Disclaimer: All the above are my personal opinions; I don't have the electronic knowledge to verify this scientifically - all is based on use and personal observations.

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #34,886 of 39,986
So I bought a pair of metal base Sylvania 6J5 to replace the popping and noisy Sylvania VT135s(still need to solder iron treatment those). When they werent popping they sounded glorious....anyways found a NOS pair and rolled them in last night,and one lights up,but no sound. Having terrible luck with Sylvanias lately.
Contacted the seller last night around 2am,and he responded within 5 minutes,on New Years eve no less and is sending me out a replacement tube. To be sure I found a source for the VT135s online for 4.50 a piece. Ordered those too.
In the interim in using a super NOS pair of Raytheon 6J5s. These are the cleanest old tubes Ive ever seen. Took them a few hours to begin to open up. Im not sure they will end up beating the Sylvania in SQ,but they sound pretty good. Def less bass than the Ken Rads. Now I need to find a good pair of GEC L63s,then in Feb im sending the Monster back to Glenn for surgery.

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #34,887 of 39,986
Happy new year all!

• @JazzVinyl also had 4x 6080s, but were heating externally. Given the amp can handle the sum of the amperes per tube (I believe my amp is ~13A max), why heat externally?

Happy New Year @chrisdrop !!

I heat 4x 6080 or 6AS7's externally....because it keeps a lot of heat out of the GOTL innards. The external transformer gets quite warm when running 4x of these (I can also 6x of them, if I want) and all that heat is NOT under the GOTL deck. Yes there is still some heat from the 6080's that transfers to the amp deck, even with socket savers, cause they are 'hot taters'. But the innards of the GOTL are much cooler in this scenario of heating them, externally. I am not mandating the practice for anyone else. If you run 4x 6080's for a few hours using the Lundhal with socket savers...no problem. But I tend to run the GOTL most of the day. So I admire keeping that heat out of the innards.

One more reason...my amp physically buzzes when I run 4x 6080's or 2x 6AS7G/2x 6080. It is coming from the Lundhal transformer. I saw a youtube video where a guy fixes his buzzing transformer by re-gluing the iron plates together. I could probably do that to make this one behave.

But the External Transformer for heating powers cures this problem, and has the side benefit of much less heat being transferred the GOTL innards.

BTW...my amp run WAY cooler and never buzzes when running 6x 6BX/BL7's...no need for an external Transformer in this scenario, imho.

Cheers :)

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #34,888 of 39,986
@Monsterzero - my *J5 experience has been great, but I still have a limited selection. As another relatively-newcomer to these tubes, here is my semi-informed 2p:
  1. I still think the GEC 6J5Gs are my favourite all around. They are shoulder types and I have put pictures up before. They were on the expensive side, matched pair, via Billington. Whenever I am not rolling to experiment, I keep going back to these. I think @UsoppNoKami has a pair that have a similar shape, but a different print on them. They work really well w/ the Bendix 6080s and are currently running w/ 6BL7s nicely.
    1. Does anyone know what/ if there any difference between GEC labelled L63 and that are labelled 6J5?
  2. Sylvania 12J5 VT135 / black base. These have been pretty steadily in the amp during the latter week of my Christmas holiday time. These are probably the best quality/ value for money. They were not expensive.
I have a 1/2 dozen other pairs and I think they are strictly generally > the single valve alternatives, but in my limited experience, those are a step above the rest.

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #34,889 of 39,986
@Monsterzero - my *J5 experience has been great, but I still have a limited selection. As another relatively-newcomer to these tubes, here is my semi-informed 2p:
  1. I still think the GEC 6J5Gs are my favourite all around. They are shoulder types and I have put pictures up before. They were on the expensive side, matched pair, via Billington. Whenever I am not rolling to experiment, I keep going back to these. I think @UsoppNoKami has a pair that have a similar shape, but a different print on them. They work really well w/ the Bendix 6080s and are currently running w/ 6BL7s nicely.
    1. Does anyone know what/ if there any difference between GEC labelled L63 and that are labelled 6J5?
  2. Sylvania 12J5 VT135 / black base. These have been pretty steadily in the amp during the latter week of my Christmas holiday time. These are probably the best quality/ value for money. They were not expensive.
I have a 1/2 dozen other pairs and I think they are strictly generally > the single valve alternatives, but in my limited experience, those are a step above the rest.
Dropped a line to Billington for pricing. Not to be nosey,but whats a good price on the ST L63s?

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #34,890 of 39,986
Hi cd,
Interesting that you are concentrating on output rolling. There is a huge debate about how much impact the output tubes have on sound - 20%?, 50%? etc. I would avoid answering that question by saying that it is a question of synergy; for sure the output tubes play a very significant role re the sound. On the other hand, once I have found a combination I like, I mainly concentrate on driver tube rolling, but at times different drivers may need a change in output tubes to sound their best.
Re 4 or 6 6BL/X7: There are two factors involved: sound, and noise. The 6BLX7 tubes have a high amplification factor and in certain combinations the background noise and compatibility can be affected by using 4 or 6 tubes.
Re using 4x6080: To some it may sound like overkill since one pair supplies enough power. However, personally I have found that 4x6080 suits me better because it sounds better to me with a more filled out sound. I use a Bendix type graphite tube for slam and impact, and a RCA for warmth and mid bass. I think JV uses Sylvania/Mullard. These tubes definitely run hot. I also reduce the heat to the chassis by using socket savers which act as insulators. Than I use two small fans (3-4") to further lower the temperature. The amp should not go above 80C; with one fan it reaches around 45C and with two around 33C (some variations depending on ambient room temperature and tubes used).
Heat is the main enemy of electronics.
Re JV's use of external power I think it is an issue of having a quieter background - JV has to weigh in on this.
Re the volume, different tubes and tube combinations affect the volume. Recently i added a set of TFK EL11 to the pair of 6J5 drivers, and the volume went down a little. As far as I know, as long as the amp produces enough volume for what you need and there is no distortion, I don't think that it matters.
There is another debate whether a tube amp sounds better at high volume than at low volume, and some people try to adjust their sources so that the tube amp runs at high volume. Don't know the answer to this question. Personally, I use my GOTL mainly as a preamp, and by fiddling with the volume controls on my preamp and the GOTL I try to achieve a setting that produces the least background noise. Usually what works best for me is a volume setting around 9-10 0'clock on both the preamp and the GOTL.
I think that in the past Glenn was worried about running so many tubes at near the 13A capacity in the GOTL. However, he had told me that by adding external cooling you could go up to 14A. The most I have used is 12.4A and after extended use this seems perfectly safe using socket savers and fan cooling.
Disclaimer: All the above are my personal opinions; I don't have the electronic knowledge to verify this scientifically - all is based on use and personal observations.

>>concentrating on output rolling

I have been really enjoying the 6j5 world and spent the past 2 months basically rolling them.

Now rolling outputs a bit because I have largely been unable to change outputs due to my (now defunct) power/ hum issues.

At some point, I will get the proper adapters for c3g sockets and move there!

>>reduce the heat to the chassis by using socket savers

@Deyan is working on a set of socket savers for me, with my thanks in advance of course!

>>two small fans (3-4")

I was looking for some small, low noise fans recently. I haven't gotten any yet - but I am sure they will come soon enough.

>> Disclaimer ..
If it all goes tits-up, I am coming to get ya! :punch::runner::punch:

>>I use a Bendix type graphite tube for slam and impact, and a RCA for warmth and mid bass. I think JV uses Sylvania/Mullard.

I have been really enjoying the Bendix as my main outputs. I didn't really like them with Brimar 6080s (which I think were fine on their own in 2x or 4x). I think the RCAs are not expensive, so I will perhaps grab a pair (or if I come across JV's pref'd).

>>a tube amp sounds better at high volume than at low volume, and some people try to adjust their sources so that the tube amp runs at high volume.

That is interesting, although not clear why that is good. I could certainly adjust the line-out level from my source. Does it have something to do perhaps with being in the more linear range of the valve's amplification function? (possible BS comment)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back