2359glenn | studio
Nov 19, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #34,321 of 39,986
[/QUOTE]

Let's see how many steps:
1)Admitting: The subject was somewhat reluctant to give information but admitted to a military past as in VT-231. VT is very hard to decipher because it is too simple: It means Vacuum Tube.
Date of birth - T 4. Since Ken-Rad was sold to GE in 1945 it seems logical that 4 means 1944. If you assign a letter to each of the 12 months and want to confuse things you start all over with the letter N as January; in that case T is July. Ken-Rad 6SN7GT/VT-231 from July 1944.
2)Cleanup: The pins showed signs of abrasions. A touch up was done under a magnifying glass scraping the pins with a pen knife of Swiss origin.
3)Initial testing: The tube was tested in the GOTL and immediately started humming loudly. When tapped on top (you are not supposed to this with the tube lit up, but since the tube was made to military specifications it has to be able to take a little abuse) it emitted crackling and howling noises. Tapping on the chassis had the same unpleasant effects.
4)The treating team didn't really know what to do, so they resorted to applying an abdominal band of tightly stretched high temperature silicone tape around the glass envelope of the tube. At least it did not deface the tube since it has a black internal coating.
4b)Upon re-testing the noise and hum seem to have been lowered. Until it came back in full strength. The treating team decided on another treatment modality.
5)Heat treatment. Each tube pin was heat treated with an antique Radio Shack 35W soldering iron for 30 seconds. In order to endure this boring procedure, a pair of 12V triodes were inserted in the amp so that this procedure could be accompanied by music.
6)Shock treatment. After the heating of the tube pins was finished, the tube was re-inserted for further tests. The power button blue light hesitated a little to light up and the tube was glowing very brightly. Due to a glitch in the testing protocol a split second or two of 12V was applied to this 6V tube. ALWAYS CHECK THE VOLTAGE SELECTOR BEFORE PUTTING IN A NEW TUBE!
Did this finish the tube? Kaput? Is it all over Charlie KR?

No.

The tube survived the electric shock treatment. Before it s sounded more dull - now it sounds better. This was done serendipitously; this treatment modality is NOT recommended but c'est la vie.

The tube is still noisy and humming, but less hum.

7)Physical therapy: By tapping on the tube and moving it around a little in the socket and tilting it here and there, it is possible to find a position that is more quiet. This requires the use of sacrificial headphones lest a pop will blow your driver. The ones they give out on airlines are perfect for this but I have a bottom line Sennheiser HD201 the so far is holding up.
The tube runs hot - luckily the silicone tape acts as an insulator.

Maybe the tube is less noisy now but still humming.

As a last resort to tame this tube the treatment team decided on something more drastic.

8)High intensity kinetic acceleration/deceleration Rx: The tube was carefully and securely wrapped in a towel and smacked against my palm 10 times. Why 10 times? Why not?
9)After this final procedure the tube was tested for internal anomalies. By shaking it, it was determined that something is rattling in it. Maybe this accounts for the tube being able to function by jiggling it into certain positions. Due to the military blackout restrictions (tube coated black) the cause of the rattle could not be determined.

At this point the tube is usable. It is still microphonic and crackles if the chassis is tapped; however, when jiggling it into the right position, listening via headphones, I can turn up the volume to max on the GOTL (without music playing) and there is barely any hum or noise and then only at too high levels to listen to. I submit that my hearing isn't the best and I cannot hear very high frequencies (age related) that a younger person might hear.
At normal levels the tube now is fine and humpfrey. As a matter of fact, this is a very good sounding tube and it has the familial great bass that Ken-Rad is famous for.

I wish to give thanks to Chrisdrop who graciously sponsored this experiment.

Explanations as to the pathology and possible cures of the tube are welcome.[/QUOTE]

Well you did everything you could. Surgery under the microscope, chest compression, a tourniquet, you got out the paddles to try to get it back in rhythm... after all that the patient is limping and weary, but alive, and still showing signs of its heritage. The only question now is what's the bill for this emergency department visit? And does Chris have insurance?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #34,322 of 39,986

Well you did everything you could. Surgery under the microscope, chest compression, a tourniquet, you got out the paddles to try to get it back in rhythm... after all that the patient is limping and weary, but alive, and still showing signs of its heritage. The only question now is what's the bill for this emergency department visit? And does Chris have insurance?[/QUOTE]
Hi GDuss,
I am listening to a tune called Happy Hour Blues. This a fitting title since the tube seems to have recovered very well. I am listening now for the entire evening without a hitch - sounds very good.
If I was ambitious I would compare the Ken-Rad metal tubes 6C/J5, the top cap anode 6F8G, as well as the VT-231....

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #34,323 of 39,986
Let's see how many steps:
1)Admitting: The subject was somewhat reluctant to give information but admitted to a military past as in VT-231. VT is very hard to decipher because it is too simple: It means Vacuum Tube.
Date of birth - T 4. Since Ken-Rad was sold to GE in 1945 it seems logical that 4 means 1944. If you assign a letter to each of the 12 months and want to confuse things you start all over with the letter N as January; in that case T is July. Ken-Rad 6SN7GT/VT-231 from July 1944.
2)Cleanup: The pins showed signs of abrasions. A touch up was done under a magnifying glass scraping the pins with a pen knife of Swiss origin.
3)Initial testing: The tube was tested in the GOTL and immediately started humming loudly. When tapped on top (you are not supposed to this with the tube lit up, but since the tube was made to military specifications it has to be able to take a little abuse) it emitted crackling and howling noises. Tapping on the chassis had the same unpleasant effects.
4)The treating team didn't really know what to do, so they resorted to applying an abdominal band of tightly stretched high temperature silicone tape around the glass envelope of the tube. At least it did not deface the tube since it has a black internal coating.
4b)Upon re-testing the noise and hum seem to have been lowered. Until it came back in full strength. The treating team decided on another treatment modality.
5)Heat treatment. Each tube pin was heat treated with an antique Radio Shack 35W soldering iron for 30 seconds. In order to endure this boring procedure, a pair of 12V triodes were inserted in the amp so that this procedure could be accompanied by music.
6)Shock treatment. After the heating of the tube pins was finished, the tube was re-inserted for further tests. The power button blue light hesitated a little to light up and the tube was glowing very brightly. Due to a glitch in the testing protocol a split second or two of 12V was applied to this 6V tube. ALWAYS CHECK THE VOLTAGE SELECTOR BEFORE PUTTING IN A NEW TUBE!
Did this finish the tube? Kaput? Is it all over Charlie KR?

No.

The tube survived the electric shock treatment. Before it s sounded more dull - now it sounds better. This was done serendipitously; this treatment modality is NOT recommended but c'est la vie.

The tube is still noisy and humming, but less hum.

7)Physical therapy: By tapping on the tube and moving it around a little in the socket and tilting it here and there, it is possible to find a position that is more quiet. This requires the use of sacrificial headphones lest a pop will blow your driver. The ones they give out on airlines are perfect for this but I have a bottom line Sennheiser HD201 the so far is holding up.
The tube runs hot - luckily the silicone tape acts as an insulator.

Maybe the tube is less noisy now but still humming.

As a last resort to tame this tube the treatment team decided on something more drastic.

8)High intensity kinetic acceleration/deceleration Rx: The tube was carefully and securely wrapped in a towel and smacked against my palm 10 times. Why 10 times? Why not?
9)After this final procedure the tube was tested for internal anomalies. By shaking it, it was determined that something is rattling in it. Maybe this accounts for the tube being able to function by jiggling it into certain positions. Due to the military blackout restrictions (tube coated black) the cause of the rattle could not be determined.

At this point the tube is usable. It is still microphonic and crackles if the chassis is tapped; however, when jiggling it into the right position, listening via headphones, I can turn up the volume to max on the GOTL (without music playing) and there is barely any hum or noise and then only at too high levels to listen to. I submit that my hearing isn't the best and I cannot hear very high frequencies (age related) that a younger person might hear.
At normal levels the tube now is fine and humpfrey. As a matter of fact, this is a very good sounding tube and it has the familial great bass that Ken-Rad is famous for.

I wish to give thanks to Chrisdrop who graciously sponsored this experiment.

Explanations as to the pathology and possible cures of the tube are welcome.

Wow. Quite the journey.

We should never underestimate the palliative impact of not only experience with perseverance, but also a charming bedside manner, with a good dose of humour.

@mordy - the tube whisperer.

Just like the Fonz himself, give it the right nudge and - bam!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #34,324 of 39,986
Slogging my way through the absolute epitome of mindless work...chained to my desk until it is done.

Fortunately, I have the GOTL to push me to the finish line, been listening to the Western Electric 421A all week and swapping driver tubes. Today we have my pair of Visseaux 6J5G, a highly-prized pair of tubes for me. I call this setup the Clear Top Troupe.

DSCF5512-2.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #34,325 of 39,986
@Zachik

You asked if I was going to do a video review of the Aurender N100H. I may do so in the future,but here's the condensed shortened version.
It sounds great,however absolutely,positively do not purchase one if you do not own,or plan to buy an iPad. The Android version of the Conducter app is garbage,like,practically worthless. I had to purchase an iPad just for one app....really.

Another thing,make sure your music collection is meticulously organized. I thought mine was pretty well sorted,but oh no,not for the Aurender.

If you have a large library of music,plan on spending a day to upload it onto the hard drive,and another week or longer to set up playlists. Im still not finished,and my collection is a modest 1.4 TBs.

Its a huge testimony to the state of dedicated servers when the Conductor is generally regarded as the most user friendly software out there. If that is the case,im glad I didnt go for another company,because the software,even on an iPad is a pain in the arse to use.

It does sound good tho,so theres that. :)

Nov 21, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #34,326 of 39,986
@Zachik

You asked if I was going to do a video review of the Aurender N100H. I may do so in the future,but here's the condensed shortened version.
It sounds great,however absolutely,positively do not purchase one if you do not own,or plan to buy an iPad. The Android version of the Conducter app is garbage,like,practically worthless. I had to purchase an iPad just for one app....really.

Another thing,make sure your music collection is meticulously organized. I thought mine was pretty well sorted,but oh no,not for the Aurender.

If you have a large library of music,plan on spending a day to upload it onto the hard drive,and another week or longer to set up playlists. Im still not finished,and my collection is a modest 1.4 TBs.

Its a huge testimony to the state of dedicated servers when the Conductor is generally regarded as the most user friendly software out there. If that is the case,im glad I didnt go for another company,because the software,even on an iPad is a pain in the arse to use.

Can you use Roon with the Aurender? It's the simplest music software I've used. Just point it at your music collection and away you go. I've discovered a lot of new music with Roon Radio this year, and now they have a new version called Valence. Looks good. I'll try it out tomorrow:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-7-is-live/84126

Nov 21, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #34,327 of 39,986
Can you use Roon with the Aurender? It's the simplest music software I've used. Just point it at your music collection and away you go. I've discovered a lot of new music with Roon Radio this year, and now they have a new version called Valence. Looks good. I'll try it out tomorrow:
Im not really sure TBH. I know its compatible with Tidal,but I really dont have much interest in streaming.

Nov 21, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #34,328 of 39,986
do not purchase one if you do not own,or plan to buy an iPad
Strike 1.

Strike 2.

That is the reason I opted for a "real" PC running a "real" OS and JRiver's MC software!
When I did mu own research on music servers a year or so ago, I was shocked at how primitive they all seemed. Even the very pricey ones...

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #34,329 of 39,986
Strike 1.

Strike 2.

That is the reason I opted for a "real" PC running a "real" OS and JRiver's MC software!
When I did mu own research on music servers a year or so ago, I was shocked at how primitive they all seemed. Even the very pricey ones...

I bolted the Apple ecosystem back in the beginning of this century,so I had to learn how to use an iPad all over again.
Somehow we had a $150.00 tablet credit at the Verizon store. I opted for an older model,so they actually ended up paying us $50.00 to get it. :)

It is pretty primitive,but I will stick with it for the time being. It sounds good,and im on my very last playlist,metal,which happens to be my largest folder. :frowning2: I will be up til 4am again.
Why do I do this to myself?!?

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #34,330 of 39,986
Nov 21, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #34,331 of 39,986
I am not a fan of streaming music either.

I just bought a huge server tower and loaded it with hard drives and put windows on a ssd with nothing else on it...just windows.

Music is on all of the other hard drives and I am using foobar 2000. Works like a charm and playlist are easy peasy .

Works flawlessly ....when ever I need more space I just throw in another hard drive as the case has 11 bays.

Nov 21, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #34,332 of 39,986

No. The Aurender has not been programmed to be a Roon endpoint.

I have been running Roon for 9 months now. It is the best program I have used which includes Aurender's software and jriver.

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #34,334 of 39,986
@Zachik

Can you import playlists that were created in iTunes? I'd love to get a music server to replace my MacBook Pro, but I would prefer one that allows my playlists to carryover.

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #34,335 of 39,986

Users who are viewing this thread

Back