2359glenn | studio
Nov 19, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #34,306 of 39,981
Possibly (probably) a stupid question - is the best / only way to place an order with Glenn through this thread, or via PM? I'm looking at purchasing one of his builds after reading the insane reviews from this forum, and pair it with a pair of ZMF Verites - if anyone could chime in with their experiences of that it would be much appreciated.

Yes, contacting Glenn directly via PM is the only way, and therefore, the best way :)

Nov 19, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #34,308 of 39,981
IMG_20191119_204656.jpg

Tonight's menu: 12au7 telefunken + C3g driver triplet with RCA 6x 6BL7 and WE422A. I've been using a pair of 12au7 in my Freya preamp for a long time, the adaptor was by @Deyan . Will try Mullard CV497 later if I don't fall asleep early. These 12au7 tubes are some of my fav driver tubes in other amps / circuits, glad they sound good in GOTL too :)

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #34,309 of 39,981
Nov 19, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #34,311 of 39,981
The tour has actually started since I sent the cable to Monsterzero.

I ordered a pair of RCA cables yesterday based upon Fred's recommendation. Once those arrive and are in place,I will really give this USB cable a serious listen.
If the bass comes around then Im not sure if this cable will ever make it out of my house.

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #34,312 of 39,981
I ordered a pair of RCA cables yesterday based upon Fred's recommendation. Once those arrive and are in place,I will really give this USB cable a serious listen.
If the bass comes around then Im not sure if this cable will ever make it out of my house.

What interconnects did you order?

I liked the FTA USB but I didn’t think it was very different from my Sablon Audio USB.

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #34,313 of 39,981
Does that cable have the 5V/ground pins active?
@Gopher can probably answer that.
Heres a thread dedicated to this cable. Note the gear some of these guys have in their systems...hundreds of thousands. Many of the observations being made are comparing it to other big $$ USB cables(found one thats $2400.00),yet the reviews are glowing. For these guys,where cash is no object,they still love this cable.

As for me,im coming from a USB cable that was actually an "upgraded" one...something like fifty bucks.

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #34,314 of 39,981
Nov 19, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #34,315 of 39,981
Nov 19, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #34,316 of 39,981
I liked the FTA USB but I didn’t think it was very different from my Sablon Audio USB.
Their site doesnt work....?
How does it compare to the FTA? Pricing? Do you have the powered one?

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #34,317 of 39,981
Their site doesnt work....?
How does it compare to the FTA? Pricing? Do you have the powered one?

For some reason the web site has been having issues. Likely an issue with their host.

I have the unpowered one. My Big 7 doesn’t require power.

I think the cost of the Sablon cables are 50-60% of the FTA.

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #34,318 of 39,981
The website should be working now.

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #34,319 of 39,981
I'm very glad to read of your early impressions of the cable. Keep burning it in, things are going to continue to improve over the next hundred hours or so.

I may be able to organize a tour like i did with the Amber, but will need at least a couple of weeks before I'm ready for that as we're trying to keep up with the holiday demand.

Thanks for the interest, guys!

Fred

Nov 19, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #34,320 of 39,981
Mordy's 12-step rehab plan, hopefully it makes it all the way to the end of the program!!!
:)[/QUOTE]

Let's see how many steps:
1)Admitting: The subject was somewhat reluctant to give information but admitted to a military past as in VT-231. VT is very hard to decipher because it is too simple: It means Vacuum Tube.
Date of birth - T 4. Since Ken-Rad was sold to GE in 1945 it seems logical that 4 means 1944. If you assign a letter to each of the 12 months and want to confuse things you start all over with the letter N as January; in that case T is July. Ken-Rad 6SN7GT/VT-231 from July 1944.
2)Cleanup: The pins showed signs of abrasions. A touch up was done under a magnifying glass scraping the pins with a pen knife of Swiss origin.
3)Initial testing: The tube was tested in the GOTL and immediately started humming loudly. When tapped on top (you are not supposed to this with the tube lit up, but since the tube was made to military specifications it has to be able to take a little abuse) it emitted crackling and howling noises. Tapping on the chassis had the same unpleasant effects.
4)The treating team didn't really know what to do, so they resorted to applying an abdominal band of tightly stretched high temperature silicone tape around the glass envelope of the tube. At least it did not deface the tube since it has a black internal coating.
4b)Upon re-testing the noise and hum seem to have been lowered. Until it came back in full strength. The treating team decided on another treatment modality.
5)Heat treatment. Each tube pin was heat treated with an antique Radio Shack 35W soldering iron for 30 seconds. In order to endure this boring procedure, a pair of 12V triodes were inserted in the amp so that this procedure could be accompanied by music.
6)Shock treatment. After the heating of the tube pins was finished, the tube was re-inserted for further tests. The power button blue light hesitated a little to light up and the tube was glowing very brightly. Due to a glitch in the testing protocol a split second or two of 12V was applied to this 6V tube. ALWAYS CHECK THE VOLTAGE SELECTOR BEFORE PUTTING IN A NEW TUBE!
Did this finish the tube? Kaput? Is it all over Charlie KR?

No.

The tube survived the electric shock treatment. Before it s sounded more dull - now it sounds better. This was done serendipitously; this treatment modality is NOT recommended but c'est la vie.

The tube is still noisy and humming, but less hum.

7)Physical therapy: By tapping on the tube and moving it around a little in the socket and tilting it here and there, it is possible to find a position that is more quiet. This requires the use of sacrificial headphones lest a pop will blow your driver. The ones they give out on airlines are perfect for this but I have a bottom line Sennheiser HD201 the so far is holding up.
The tube runs hot - luckily the silicone tape acts as an insulator.

Maybe the tube is less noisy now but still humming.

As a last resort to tame this tube the treatment team decided on something more drastic.

8)High intensity kinetic acceleration/deceleration Rx: The tube was carefully and securely wrapped in a towel and smacked against my palm 10 times. Why 10 times? Why not?
9)After this final procedure the tube was tested for internal anomalies. By shaking it, it was determined that something is rattling in it. Maybe this accounts for the tube being able to function by jiggling it into certain positions. Due to the military blackout restrictions (tube coated black) the cause of the rattle could not be determined.

At this point the tube is usable. It is still microphonic and crackles if the chassis is tapped; however, when jiggling it into the right position, listening via headphones, I can turn up the volume to max on the GOTL (without music playing) and there is barely any hum or noise and then only at too high levels to listen to. I submit that my hearing isn't the best and I cannot hear very high frequencies (age related) that a younger person might hear.
At normal levels the tube now is fine and humpfrey. As a matter of fact, this is a very good sounding tube and it has the familial great bass that Ken-Rad is famous for.

I wish to give thanks to Chrisdrop who graciously sponsored this experiment.

Explanations as to the pathology and possible cures of the tube are welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back