2359glenn | studio
Jan 14, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #12,691 of 39,986
vc1187  So will we see the ZD in the F.S classifieds soon 
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #12,695 of 39,986
Wow - a three-way shoot-out between the Glenn, DNA and the ZD with the HD650 & 800 would be awesome.  

I think choosing between these 2 or 3 is a common dilemma for someone looking for an end-game tube amp for Senns, so any insight about differences and similarities would be greatly appreciated.

Of course.. enjoy your new toy first :)

Nice to see that the Crack still has a place amongst all these fine amps. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #12,696 of 39,986
Quote:
  vc1187  So will we see the ZD in the F.S classifieds soon 
wink.gif

The ZD does get very little use as a headphone amp nowadays... however, it plays a vital role as a preamp for me and does one hell of a job!  So unless I hit a financial crisis, then I'll probably hold onto it.

Quote:

Very nice!!
The rack needs more amps though :D

I agree.  Should look a bit more filled up once the Stratus comes aboard
blink.gif

May I ask where you got that shelf?

Interestingly enough, I got dragged to TJ Maxx by my significant other to do some after Christmas browsing.  As bummed out as I was, I decided to take a look around.  This was labeled as a 'bookshelf', but looked like a perfect audio rack in my eyes: enough width, depth, and height between shelves to fit those tall tubes.  The last question was if it could handle the weight... so I sat on top of it in the store (and received some strange looks in the process), and I was pleasantly surprised that it did not crumble to the floor 
beyersmile.png
.  At $100, it was a no brainer.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #12,697 of 39,986
@Clayton SF , I'm thinking of moving my office to the cat's room as I need more room for my amps (Yes my friends, that's right, the cat has a bigger room than I do)
That does mean you'll be sleeping between my gear next time. And maybe some cats 
cool.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #12,698 of 39,986
  @Clayton SF , I'm thinking of moving my office to the cat's room as I need more room for my amps (Yes my friends, that's right, the cat has a bigger room than I do)
That does mean you'll be sleeping between my gear next time. And maybe some cats 
cool.gif

@Ultrainferno, More amps? This is beginning to sound familiar. However; I can't think of a better way to fall asleep in Belgium. Headphone Heaven!

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #12,699 of 39,986
  Just re-acquired a pair of HD800s.  

I am in shock how good they sound paired with the Glenn OTL with the Black Glass Ken-RAD 6SN7GT VT-231.  Adds the essential intimacy, low end boost, and treble peak suppression that I feel like the HD800 needs in a proper pairing.  IMO, this pairing mops the floor with the original ZD paired with HD800, which is no offense to Craig, but more of an issue I have with sharp treble spikes with this particular pairing.  DNA Stratus coming in a few days that I will post some impressions when paired with the HD800, but I can very confidently say that to my ears, this is currently the best I have heard the HD800 sound!

You can use low impedance phones on this amp if you use 6336 tubes for the outputs. Not many amps can take this power hog of a tube.
Didn't know if you knew this as you bought it used.

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #12,700 of 39,986
  You can use low impedance phones on this amp if you use 6336 tubes for the outputs. Not many amps can take this power hog of a tube.
Didn't know if you knew this as you bought it used.

Glenn, can I use the 6336 tube in your vintage OTL that you built for me?

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #12,702 of 39,986
I just received a couple more 5998 tubes today and I am listening to them now....one of them has a round getter toward the bottom of the tube on the right side...I have 4 5998 tubes and this is the only one with a getter like this......is it pretty normal.

The tubes sound wonderful, by the way  
smile.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #12,703 of 39,986
  Just re-acquired a pair of HD800s.  

I am in shock how good they sound paired with the Glenn OTL with the Black Glass Ken-RAD 6SN7GT VT-231.  Adds the essential intimacy, low end boost, and treble peak suppression that I feel like the HD800 needs in a proper pairing.  IMO, this pairing mops the floor with the original ZD paired with HD800, which is no offense to Craig, but more of an issue I have with sharp treble spikes with this particular pairing.  DNA Stratus coming in a few days that I will post some impressions when paired with the HD800, but I can very confidently say that to my ears, this is currently the best I have heard the HD800 sound!

Does that mean that you will be selling me your ZD for cheap? 
wink_face.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #12,705 of 39,986

Users who are viewing this thread

Back