2359glenn | studio
Apr 10, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #11,372 of 39,986
Thanks Glenn. I told you I was dumb. Lucky I have you to build my amp.

After consulting with Stavros, I have decided to call my amp "Φως Αποκάλυψις", which I believe means "Light of Revelation". I think in classical Greek it is pronounced something like "Fose Apocaloopsis".

Bought NOS Lorenz C3G tubes yesterday for about $40 for the pair. Seemed reasonable to me. Looking forward to trying them out. Is it difficult to remove the shield?

Glenn - My amp won't have any rectifier tubes, will it (as I am getting Lundahl transformer)? I don't mind either way as you know what is best/possible. Just want to keep my eyes peeled for decent prices on the required tubes.

Warm regards

Nathan

If you must remove the shield just use a file along the edge of the tube  its alluminum so very soft metal   but base will come off  make shure to place a mark, to position centering guide pin in same place it was before                                                                                                                                                                        

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #11,375 of 39,986
And I would add, it doesn't even put on much of a light show with the cans removed. Not worth the trouble in my opinion. And like Glenn says, it was designed to provide 10,000 hours of service inside those little metal cans, so my thinking is it is best to leave well enough alone.

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #11,376 of 39,986
  And I would add, it doesn't even put on much of a light show with the cans removed. Not worth the trouble in my opinion. And like Glenn says, it was designed to provide 10,000 hours of service inside those little metal cans, so my thinking is it is best to leave well enough alone.

Wow.... 10,000 hours, that is fantastic!

Yeah, why take them off.

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #11,378 of 39,986
Nathan you will still have tube rectifiers unless you wanted your amp designed to use SS diodes to perform this job.  Rectifiers convert AC to DC, this function is independent of the transformer providing the incoming current.

I took the shields off my C3g purely because I think they look ugly with them on.  If I ever have a need to switch to my backup pair I'll take the shields off those too before using them.  It's a hobby and its supposed to be fun, I say do whatever you want and enjoy.

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #11,379 of 39,986
Sorry. Stupid Nathan strikes again.

Goodbye.

I learn new things about audio everyday Nathan.
There's nothing wrong asking a question.

I like the name you've chosen.

The last amp Glenn gave me is named GRETA Glenn-R-Experimental-Tube-Amp.
I need to se it up soon.
Steven I know I am very very bad for not doing it sooner.............sorry

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #11,380 of 39,986
I have yet to name my amp. Sometimes, I think I should call it "気高い" (Kedakai) which is Japanese for "Sublime". And other times, "力" (Chikara) for "Power". But for the time being, "The Glenn" seems to fit.  :)

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #11,383 of 39,986
  The last amp Glenn gave me is named GRETA Glenn-R-Experimental-Tube-Amp.
I need to set it up soon.
Steven I know I am very very bad for not doing it sooner.............sorry

That's ok Stavros...I hope you've recovered from your weekend feasting!

I have been acquiring a heavy position in GRETA's "secret" output tubes.

If these tubes become the Next Big Thing, we could make enough money to buy a new DJ rig for the Beach Bar!

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #11,384 of 39,986
You are so right Steven, you never know!!!!!!

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #11,385 of 39,986
Glenn,

I am quite sure this is something I don't have to worry about, but thought I should double check to be sure....

If I remove a 12SN7 and insert C3gs, do I have to change the 6/12.25 switch back to 6 volts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back