2359glenn | studio
Jul 16, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #10,172 of 39,986

I might guess Kanade = 奏で ?

Spelled as 奏音

It roughly means "playing music" is my understanding.  And it's a pretty name either way.

With my limited Asian languages understanding, you both are correct.  "gibosi" is Japanese translation while "xcalibur255" is Chinese.

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #10,173 of 39,986
My apologies if I am telling you more than you want to know....  

Written Japanese uses the Chinese characters (Kanji), but the sounds are almost always different. 奏 pronounced "kana" is uniquely Japanese, and is commonly used as a verb, 奏でる (kanaderu), to play music. 奏 pronounced "sou" from the ancient Chinese is also common, for example, 演奏 (ensou), a musical performance. However, 奏音 is not a standard Japanese word. That is, you will not find it in a dictionary. But when it comes to names, anything goes! So putting 奏 (play music) and 音 (sound) together makes perfect sense as a name: "Kanade".

Also, 奏音 doesn't show up in online Chinese dictionaries either, but if it was a standard Chinese word, it would likely have a different pronunciation,"zouyin", in modern Chinese.

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #10,174 of 39,986
  My apologies if I am telling you more than you want to know....  

Written Japanese uses the Chinese characters (Kanji), but the sounds are almost always different. 奏 pronounced "kana" is uniquely Japanese, and is commonly used as a verb, 奏でる (kanaderu), to play music. 奏 pronounced "sou" from the ancient Chinese is also common, for example, 演奏 (ensou), a musical performance. However, 奏音 is not a standard Japanese word. That is, you will not find it in a dictionary. But when it comes to names, anything goes! So putting 奏 (play music) and 音 (sound) together makes perfect sense as a name: "Kanade".

Also, 奏音 doesn't show up in online Chinese dictionaries either, but if it was a standard Chinese word, it would likely have a different pronunciation,"zouyin", in modern Chinese.

It's nice to have my understanding confirmed by another person, so thank you.  This agrees with what I researched originally actually.  It's in the "naming sense" that I'm using the kanji here.

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #10,175 of 39,986
A 1956 Tung-Sol 5687WA arrived today. I put it into my test amp and as Xcalibur255 observed, it is quite liquid and fluid, with no grain, and the mid-range is rather forward and lush. To my ears, through HD700's, it sounds very good. A keeper. :)

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #10,176 of 39,986
I fired up the 300B again last night, it is so incredibly good with the orthos. I keeps surprising me each time
redface.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #10,178 of 39,986

I am glad you still like it.
That C3g drives the 300B so well don't know why anyone would want to use a 6SN7
to drive the 300B.

I am still loving mine, too. How are the C3g tubes selling these days? Still very affordable?

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #10,180 of 39,986
I have no idea if anyone other than perhaps Xcalibur255 might be interested in these...

Received a 1959 Raytheon 5687WA and a Sylvania Gold Brand 5687 with gold pins, probably manufactured in the 1960's, or maybe the early 1970's. (It is perhaps worth noting that Gold Brand, GE 5* and RCA Command were simply milspec JAN tubes repackaged for the civilian consumer market.) I haven't had a chance to do more than ensure that these light up and play, so can't yet say how they compare to the Tung-Sol.

Raytheon                                                                     Sylvania

Users who are viewing this thread

Back