2359glenn | studio
Mar 30, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #106 of 39,986

Quote:

This adapter will not work on any amp the 6SN7 Filament has to be run on AC not DC and it will not work in Woo amps that have the two 6SN7s in series running off 12.6 volts. plus
the Woo sockets are recessed and this adapter will not fit.
   First you would have to know if your amp runs the 6SN7 off AC or DC before considering one of these.

This is great to know... and great that I won't have this dilemma. The OTL is my sole tube amp for now. You made a beautiful looking adapter, by the way!

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #107 of 39,986

Quote:

This adapter will not work on any amp the 6SN7 Filament has to be run on AC not DC and it will not work in Woo amps that have the two 6SN7s in series running off 12.6 volts. plus
the Woo sockets are recessed and this adapter will not fit.
   First you would have to know if your amp runs the 6SN7 off AC or DC before considering one of these.

Glenn is there a simple way to find out if an amp runs the 6SN7 off AC or DC?

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #108 of 39,986

Quote:

Glenn is there a simple way to find out if an amp runs the 6SN7 off AC or DC?

Do you have a digitad volt meter? If you put on AC remove the 6SN7 tube put the probes in pins 7 & 8 turn the amp on
if it reads 6.3 or so it will be AC
if not put it on DC and and it reads then it is DC. Or better yet can you get any info on the amp I do know that your single Power
amp is running them on DC

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #109 of 39,986
Thanks Glenn.
Would a test socket with the tube in place be better?

Regarding the SP PPX-6SN7 are both the driver and power tubes on DC?

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #111 of 39,986
Thanks Glenn.

I have some Pomona test sockets which I haven't used yet.
Maybe it's time.

Does this have anything to do with the AC/DC coupling of the driver?

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #112 of 39,986
This is what Glenn has said before about  the 12SN7 adapter

The voltage doubler works by having two diodes and two capacitors and each capacitor gets charged to
6.3 volts DC and the two capacitors are in series. So the combined charge adds up to 12.6 volts DC. At the
higher current that a tube filament draws could make to much ripple from the pulsating DC from the diodes
recharging the capacitors 60X a second. A large value capacitor won't fit in the adapter plus it needs two.

Along the way Glenn stated that he was looking in using SMT capacitors but I am not sure if he was able to use them and he stated that he used large 1000uf capacitors. If you look at the size of those caps on Ebay for example you realize it is not easy to find an adapter that has enough space to put those caps in plus the two diodes. Glenn used a extra large socket case. If do not have AC the adapter can not work its "magic" to double the voltage. That  the way I understood it.

Apr 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #114 of 39,986
[size=medium]I have successfully integrated Glenn 12SN7 adapter in my system. I was a bit apprehensive since I will be using the Cetron 7236 tube which my amp did not like until Glenn made the engineering changes to my amp. I am delighted that everything worked out just fine. I decided not to wait for the cheaper 12SN7 to arrive so I use the 2C50 tube in Glenn 12SN7 adapter and it worked very well indeed.  The Cetron 7236 has more midrange and deeper bass extension but was a bit loose sounding until I changed to the 2C50 tube which has great bass control. It was a great combination to use, yippee! [/size]

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #115 of 39,986

Quote:
[size=medium]I have successfully integrated Glenn 12SN7 adapter in my system. I was a bit apprehensive since I will be using the Cetron 7236 tube which my amp did not like until Glenn made the engineering changes to my amp. I am delighted that everything worked out just fine. I decided not to wait for the cheaper 12SN7 to arrive so I use the 2C50 tube in Glenn 12SN7 adapter and it worked very well indeed.  The Cetron 7236 has more midrange and deeper bass extension but was a bit loose sounding until I changed to the 2C50 tube which has great bass control. It was a great combination to use, yippee! [/size]

beerchug.gif

Reading this was a Sunday delight! Very excited for you, as I contemplate (daydream?) about like changes to my own amp.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #117 of 39,986
Thanks Glenn.
What I ment to say was is there a simple way to check if an amp has the 6SN7 driver AC or DC coupled?

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #118 of 39,986

here a photo of a 2C50 tube using Glenn 12SN7 adapter Raytheon is the only maker of the 2C50 tube. Mine was made in Nov. of 1952
and has one of the lowest leakage/gas reading of any 12SN7/6SN7 tube that I had measured to date. Great clear bass and midrange control with the
Cetron/TS 7236 box plates. The brass socket gleams in low room light on the amp with the label in the back. The amp has a gentle sweetness to the sound but still
quite powerful when music demands it.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #119 of 39,986
That's a nice photo John.
The tube & adapter look very nice!

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #120 of 39,986

Quote:

here a photo of a 2C50 tube using Glenn 12SN7 adapter Raytheon is the only maker of the 2C50 tube. Mine was made in Nov. of 1952
and has one of the lowest leakage/gas reading of any 12SN7/6SN7 tube that I had measured to date. Great clear bass and midrange control with the
Cetron/TS 7236 box plates. The brass socket gleams in low room light on the amp with the label in the back. The amp has a gentle sweetness to the sound but still
quite powerful when music demands it.

smiley_thumb.gif
 What an adventure! Next, I'd love to see that glory seated inside the tube socket on the amp. Are the Ray's widely and cheaply available or rare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back