2359glenn | studio
Apr 2, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #39,526 of 39,994
Tonight will be the final time I will see and hear this lovely combo in my home. Gonna listen to the Atrium and then some VC, and maybe throw in some HD250 for old times sake.

Tomorrow I'm packing my GOTL up, and on Monday, it will begin its journey to Hawaii, where its new owner, @robo24 hopefully will enjoy it as much as I have and take good care of it.

So long dear friend!

20220401_212634.jpg
😞

Apr 2, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #39,527 of 39,994
Tonight will be the final time I will see and hear this lovely combo in my home. Gonna listen to the Atrium and then some VC, and maybe throw in some HD250 for old times sake.

Tomorrow I'm packing my GOTL up, and on Monday, it will begin its journey to Hawaii, where its new owner, @robo24 hopefully will enjoy it as much as I have and take good care of it.

So long dear friend!

I hope you enjoyed your last listen :) and @robo24, this is going to pair well for you and all of those high impedance headphones of yours.

Apr 12, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #39,528 of 39,994
There is a GEC Foots Cray tube called 5A/152M that I believe is similar to the C3g but it has a different pin-out. Does anybody have experience with it?
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_5a152m.html

It is not that expensive but I have developed an allergy to more adapters so ATM I don't feel compelled to try it.

I have these tubes, have not listened to them but have measured, another high gm pentode, very linear when triode strapped like a C3g, should sound good. Some people are using them as a 300B driver.

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #39,529 of 39,994
Well I've been enjoying @Monsterzero 's Glenn OTL for a few days. Just amazing!

He sent a lot of tubes but there are a couple we couldn't be sure exactly what they are and what voltage setting to use for them.

The first has 2495 on it. One answer was that it was an FDD20 and would use the 12v setting. Anyone know for sure since I don't want to try anything without being certain.

IMG_7168.jpeg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #39,530 of 39,994
Well I've been enjoying @Monsterzero 's Glenn OTL for a few days. Just amazing!

He sent a lot of tubes but there are a couple we couldn't be sure exactly what they are and what voltage setting to use for them.

The first has 2495 on it. One answer was that it was an FDD20 and would use the 12v setting. Anyone know for sure since I don't want to try anything without being certain.

IMG_7168.jpeg

The other is an RCA tube which has 1633 on it. Is this a 25SN7 equivalent using the 25v setting?
caps lock.jpeg
Thanks!
The 1633 is a 25V tube.
The FDD20 is a side contact tube - is the tube on the picture sitting in an adapter? 2495 does not seem to be a tube designation. I have a FDD20 tube, but it was rewired for an octal socket by h1.
If you want to know about a certain tube, there is a good site called Radiomuseum. Just type in Radiomuseum and the tube designation and you will get a lot of useful information:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_1633.html
And congrats on the GOTL! I use it daily and I am very happy with it! (Mine has a Hexfred rectifier).

Apr 12, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #39,531 of 39,994
The 1633 is a 25V tube.
The FDD20 is a side contact tube - is the tube on the picture sitting in an adapter? 2495 does not seem to be a tube designation. I have a FDD20 tube, but it was rewired for an octal socket by h1.
If you want to know about a certain tube, there is a good site called Radiomuseum. Just type in Radiomuseum and the tube designation and you will get a lot of useful information:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_1633.html
And congrats on the GOTL! I use it daily and I am very happy with it! (Mine has a Hexfred rectifier).
Thank you! Yes, it is in an adapter which I didn't even realize. I found the following info
BaseEurope side contact P8A (Au P, 8SC) (Codex=Sd)
FilamentVf 13 Volts / If 0.35 Ampere / Indirect / Specified voltage AC/DC
DescriptionWith exception of heater ratings and base, this tube is very similar to 6A6 and 6N7G.
Text in other languages (may differ)
Tube prices2 Tube prices (visible for members only)
Information sourceTaschenbuch zum Röhren-Codex 1948/49
but would I use the 12 volt or 6 volt setting? It says 13volts above, but also says similar to 6N7G which would be set at 6volts.

Here are a couple pics a little more zoomed.

IMG_7172.jpeg
IMG_7171.jpeg

I confused myself and asked about the 1633 numbered tube I already had an answer for. What I meant to ask about was this rectifier which says 3DG4. I know nothing about it other than that it should work in the Glenn since it was included with my purchase.
caps lock (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #39,532 of 39,994
Thank you! Yes, it is in an adapter which I didn't even realize. I found the following info
DescriptionWith exception of heater ratings and base, this tube is very similar to 6A6 and 6N7G.
but would I use the 12 volt or 6 volt setting? It says 13volts above, but also says similar to 6N7G which would be set at 6volts.

IMG_7172.jpegIMG_7171.jpeg

I confused myself and asked about the 1633 numbered tube I already had an answer for. What I meant to ask about was this rectifier which says 3DG4. I know nothing about it other than that it should work in the Glenn since it was included with my purchase.
caps lock (1).jpeg
It could be the FDD20 but not sure. My adapter was made for the Elise and has two wires for external power 12V so I assume that your adapter was made for the GOTL and that you need to use the 12V setting instead.
The combination of FDD20 and ECC31 was a big hit in the Elise. The FDD20 was made by Italian Philips for automotive use and belongs in the 6SN7 family (although it is 12V tube).
When I tried the FDD20 in the GOTL I was not very impressed - put it away and can't locate it ATM.
Regarding rectifiers I have no experience - chose solid state rectification.
Our resident expert on rectifiers is Gibosi who also owns an earlier version of the GOTL.

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #39,533 of 39,994
You can use the 3DG4 rectifier, Glenn usually included one with the amp.

The voltage setting is relative to only what drivers you are using.

Have fun and enjoy the music!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #39,534 of 39,994

IMG_7172.jpegIMG_7171.jpeg

I confused myself and asked about the 1633 numbered tube I already had an answer for. What I meant to ask about was this rectifier which says 3DG4. I know nothing about it other than that it should work in the Glenn since it was included with my
Yes this is the FDD20 12v side contact mount version of a 6N7 as Mordy pointed out.

Very rare tube these days.

Works well in GOTL, but was better sounding in the FA Elise.

😊

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #39,540 of 39,994
Hi Friends,

I want to buy a Glenn OTL for my 300 ohm headphones (6XX, VC, etc)

Anything out there in anyone’s stable you are considering parting with?
Good luck, there have been a few for sale here recently, so there is a chance.

I have watched some of your reviews, they are very well done. :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back