2359glenn | studio
Feb 4, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #35,356 of 39,986
Found the NATO country code list. The UK is indeed 99, and the US gets 00-10. In case you find a tube with the country code 60, it was made in Kuwait (country code 69 is off the map):
Don't know why Deyan was left out, his country code should be 50 lol
Hi leftside:
And now we have solved where the Telefunken CV133 were made - not in Ulm, DE, but in country 99, which is the United Kingdom.
1580787677863.png

Feb 4, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #35,357 of 39,986
Found the NATO country code list. The UK is indeed 99, and the US gets 00-10. In case you find a tube with the country code 60, it was made in Kuwait (country code 69 is off the map):
Hi leftside:
And now we have solved where the Telefunken CV133 were made - not in Ulm, DE, but in country 99, which is the United Kingdom.
1580787677863.png

Good work!! :)

Feb 4, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #35,359 of 39,986
IMG_20200204_173242.jpg

This roll has not been touched since I put it in - GEC U52 rectifier, Mullard ECC32, Sylvania 6BL7GT flat plates. Really good with the ZMF Verite!
I bet that combo sounds good with any headphone. Well done on finding 6 matching flat ladder plate/triple mica 6BL7GT.

Hi leftside:
1580787677863.png
Good job! Post bookmarked. I wonder who made them then?

Feb 4, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #35,360 of 39,986
Nice list....but why Russia is on the list, shouldn't it be on the Warsaw Pact list instead of NATO list?

Maybe reserved for possible future enrollment... :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #35,363 of 39,986
The newest(?) hi-fi tweak: filling your component with sand. More here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/singxer-su-6.902272/post-15450685

Disclaimer: I do not endorse this idea in any way, nor am I sure to try it.
Its a twist on the quartz crystals that some use to change the sound of their gear.
I know of at least one (very)high end cable maker who fills his power conditioners and cables with a mix of crystal sand.

Simply placing a chunk of pink quartz on your transformer makes a noticeable change. Cheap,harmless and reversible.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #35,365 of 39,986
Its a twist on the quartz crystals that some use to change the sound of their gear.
I know of at least one (very)high end cable maker who fills his power conditioners and cables with a mix of crystal sand.

Simply placing a chunk of pink quartz on your transformer makes a noticeable change. Cheap,harmless and reversible.

Don't knock it 'til you try it I guess, need to keep my mouth shut and let people just do their thing. Just hope users will experiment with putting pink quartz on top of their gear before they are convinced to dump sand into it...

Feb 4, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #35,366 of 39,986
Don't knock it 'til you try it I guess, need to keep my mouth shut and let people just do their thing. Just hope users will experiment with putting pink quartz on top of their gear before they are convinced to dump sand into it...
Ive put pink quartz on top of several of my pieces of gear. It really brings out the upper mids,but diminishes bass and weight. I know some users who swear by a mixture of various rocks that work in combination with each other.
I have had discussions about this with some other members in this thread,where I admitted to thinking this was totally ridiculous and asinine,until I tried it. I have all of the other rocks here in my home,but havent gotten around to experimenting yet.

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #35,369 of 39,986
Ive put pink quartz on top of several of my pieces of gear. It really brings out the upper mids,but diminishes bass and weight. I know some users who swear by a mixture of various rocks that work in combination with each other.
I have had discussions about this with some other members in this thread,where I admitted to thinking this was totally ridiculous and asinine,until I tried it. I have all of the other rocks here in my home,but havent gotten around to experimenting yet.
Way back, maybe 30 years ago, there was this thing about putting coins on the front edge on top of the speakers. A couple dimes and or quarters - should be cheaper than pink quartz.
And I think sand has a good use in serving as filler in hollow equipment stands for additional mass, but I never tried it. In those days Toys 'R Us had inexpensive 25 lb sand bags.
And the green markers for the CD edges .... memories.....

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #35,370 of 39,986
Hi leftside:
1580787677863.png
The plot thickens.... I zoomed in on the glass and saw the "BWB 448" designation inside the German Eagle Crest on the tubes...

"BWB" MILITARY EAGLE
THE BWB SOURCED THESE OLDER 1950'S TUBES in the early 1970's from Telefunken factory stock WITH THE DOME-TOP AND
RE-LABELLED THEM "BWB" and REPACKED THEM AFTER EXTENSIVE MILITARY TESTING.
Telefunken didn't make EF86 tubes in the 1970's as the Telefunken Factories had long ago shut their doors
These are BWB CERTIFIED for TOP specifications, not only meeting but EXCEEDING Telefunken's Data Sheet requirements.
THEY THEN labeled THE "BWB 448" GERMAN MILITARY DESIGNATION "EAGLE CREST" AND REPACKAGED THE BOXES IN 1970's.
Best Quality "BWB" Bundesamt für Wehrtechnik und Beschaffung Tungsram tubes.
(German: Federal Office of Defense Technology and Procurement)

https://www.tubemuseum.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TFK-EF86

Users who are viewing this thread

Back