2359glenn | studio
Aug 19, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #28,786 of 39,986
What I am hearing now isn't a dream though. After an hour letting Verite burn in, I couldn't resist it anymore. I have to have a listen. Now that I've it on my head, I couldn't remove it. I'm afraid even at this early stage, the Verite will redefine what I like about a headphone sound signature. It's really good ! Make that amazing ! Better than any money spent on tubes. :)

IMG-3302.JPG

Aug 19, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #28,787 of 39,986
You know I am stupid for buying them. I built these amps to use cheep tubes and sound good.
The 6080 is a bit more mellow or worm compared to the GEC 6AS7 but still sound really good.
And I had the 6080s before I paid all that money for the GEC's what a moron.
I had it with expensive tubes had a pair of KR globe 300Bs and one of the filaments burned out after a year.
That was a $1000 down the drain. I plan on converting the 300B amps I have to EL34 the output transformer is the right impedance.
Could have bought a couple of nice phones for what I paid for 300Bs over the years.

And you might want to consider converting your OTL to run six 6BL7 / 6BX7. Cheap and good. :)

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #28,788 of 39,986
What I am hearing now isn't a dream though. After an hour letting Verite burn in, I couldn't resist it anymore. I have to have a listen. Now that I've it on my head, I couldn't remove it. I'm afraid even at this early stage, the Verite will redefine what I like about a headphone sound signature. It's really good ! Make that amazing ! Better than any money spent on tubes. :)

Give it 250-300 hours mate, really takes a while to fully burn in.

Stock universe leather pads have been the mainstay, but i have also dallied with suede universe pads, the flat Verite pads that were also shipped with the cans, and the in-between 'BE' pads from time to time.

@2359glenn has had many good things to say about the Verite + GOTL pairing, happy days ahead for you too if your first impressions are positive haha :wink:

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #28,789 of 39,986

Nice! You'll have to let us know some of your favorite tube pairings.

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #28,790 of 39,986
I had a dream too. Last night before going to bed I bid $99 on the Telefunken RGN4004 black mesh plate and I dreamt I won it. This morning when I looked at the auction, it closed at $623. I thought OMG did I bid that much for a rectifier. Then I realised I didn't win it. Someone else did. :)

As I understand, you are getting an EL3N amp with German octal sockets. And therefore, an RGN4004 (300ma) is much more powerful and expensive than you really need. So I suggest you consider mesh-plate Telefunken RGN 2004, which can provide 160ma, and/or RGN 2504, 180ma. Either should be fine in your new amp. And of course, they are less expensive, but unfortunately, still not cheap.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #28,791 of 39,986
As I understand, you are getting an EL3N amp with German octal sockets. And therefore, an RGN4004 (300ma) is much more powerful and expensive than you really need. So I suggest you consider mesh-plate Telefunken RGN 2004, which can provide 160ma, and/or RGN 2504, 180ma. Either should be fine in your new amp. And of course, they are less expensive, but unfortunately, not cheap.

Yeah I didn't know that the Telefunken RGN4004 will cost that much. I thought I would win it with a bid of $99 with 4 hours to go. :) I even save a picture of it so I can share it here. Oh well as you said, I don't need that powerful rectifier and it's not mine to have.

s-l1600 (23).jpg

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #28,792 of 39,986

Now the fun begins...rolling pads,and rolling tubes,finding the right sound for you. The Verite is quite the chameleon.

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #28,793 of 39,986

The Verite only keeps on getting better with burn in it needs at least 150 hrs burn in.
The Verite retired my HD-800s haven't listened to them since I got the Verite. This is the best headphone I have now!!!!!!
I liked it best with my GEC 6AS7s
Haven't tried them since the tube burned out. I was listening to the Aeolus when the tube died.

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #28,794 of 39,986
I will try that after work tonight it can't heart anything.
Already tried soldering the pins twice that didn't work. Then I was going to test it on my Hickok 800a tube tester.
When I turned it on the meter was going backwards. So that is broke too was to depressed to do anything at that point.
Now have to fix the tube tester. Just a bad weekend.
Glenn - I can connect you with a guy that fixes and calibrates testers. He is very honest, will not charge you an arm and a leg, and he knows what he's doing. I have only good things to say about him!
Bought my 800a from him a few months ago...
PM me if you're interested.

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #28,795 of 39,986
Aug 19, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #28,796 of 39,986
Thanks to a tip from rnros I have revisited the all metal tube 6N7. This tube requires an ECC31 to 6SN7 adapter. I have 6N7 tubes from RCA, NU and Ken-Rad; all are from 1940 -1944.
Of the three brands, the Ken-Rad sounds the best, but the others are quite good sounding as well.
Somebody opened up this tube to check how it was made. The only glass in the tube is a disc to hold the pins - the rest is all metal. Apparently this manufacturing method was costlier than all glass tubes and the US manufacturers stopped making them in the 40's.
Because this tube has no visual appeal and no tube glow it can still be had at real bargain prices.
It ranks right up there among my favorite drivers now.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #28,797 of 39,986
Thanks to Zach, my Auteur is back in action, couldn't be happier about it. A fresh coat of polish and we are off to the GOTL races.

DSCF5405.jpg

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #28,798 of 39,986
Thanks to Zach, my Auteur is back in action, couldn't be happier about it. A fresh coat of polish and we are off to the GOTL races.

The Auteur and GOTL is such a satisfying pairing. Love the 6BX7s and Mullard’s. Hell the Svetlana 6H13Cs and a Tung Sol BGRP sound glorious out of it.

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #28,800 of 39,986
The Auteur and GOTL is such a satisfying pairing. Love the 6BX7s and Mullard’s. Hell the Svetlana 6H13Cs and a Tung Sol BGRP sound glorious out of it.

You really can't go wrong in this amp and the Auteur. Right now I am doing the Sylvania 6SN7W metal base and Tung Sol 7802, these tubes synergize really well together, the Sylvania helps smooth out the top end of the 7802 and lets its strengths shine through.

DSCF5406-2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back