2359glenn | studio
Jul 13, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #27,706 of 39,986
Which has an easier learning curve? I tried Foobar2000 and just couldnt get the hang of it.
Roon for sure, but it’s pricier. If you go for the 30 day trial and have any questions feel free to PM me. You deserve to hear DSD with that new DAC...

Jul 13, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #27,707 of 39,986
Roon for sure, but it’s pricier. If you go for the 30 day trial and have any questions feel free to PM me. You deserve to hear DSD with that new DAC...

Been researching software for the better part of the last two hours. I keep reading that the SQ of Audirvana tops Roon,is cheaper than Roon,and supports everything from Mp3 to DSD and MQA. Any experience with it?

Anyone?

Jul 13, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #27,708 of 39,986
Audirvana is also highly regarded by many, but I’ve never tried it. I doubt any of them have better sound quality than another. It’s just a bitstream that is output, and then it’s up to your DAC on how it processes the bitstream. It’s more about the user experience imo that distinguishes the players.

Jul 13, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #27,709 of 39,986
Thanks, Ken. I didn't realize it was basically an ECC31 with a split cathode, that does make me wonder if it is worth the premium over the ECC31 if both are usable in the GOTL. I was considering liquidating some spare tubes to purchase one. Hmm...

The ECC32 is closest to a 6SN7 except for the .95 amp filament and a gain of 32.
These can be put into most amps that use a 6SN7. That is why the high premium.
Never tried one to costly for me. And I don't ask Stavros for tubes he is a good friend.

Jul 13, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #27,710 of 39,986
I received an interesting pair of 6J5 tubes today, Visseaux 6J5MG in metal envelopes. The internals are identical to the Visseaux 6J5G, discussed in this Head-Fi post:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-elise-impressions-thread-–-a-new-start-please-read-first-post-for-summary.813488/page-214#post-12970528

Visseaux used wax sleeves in the packaging, so it was waterproof and the metal is virtually free from corrosion. Some may think they are ugly, I think they look quite nice! Excited to give them a listen when my adapter arrives.

Were did you get these beauties?

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #27,711 of 39,986
Were did you get these beauties?

I reached out to a seller on French eBay. We wrestled with trying to make the purchase over eBay, so they just directed me to their website and they made a listing. They only speak French and the website is in French! But very helpful and shipped via EMS.

If you feel like going to the trouble, here is the listing: https://ampliatubes.fr/tubes-audiophiles/1654-tubes-6j5mg-x-2.html

Google Chrome will automatically translate the French text on the website and I used Google Translate for sending and receiving emails from the owner.

Call me crazy, but it all worked out.

Jul 13, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #27,712 of 39,986
Jul 13, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #27,713 of 39,986
No kidding. They have this 1950s - Car of the Future look to them. Gorgeous tubes.

I love the boxes too. My sister is a graphic designer, I send her pictures of vintage tube boxes pretty often, she shares my fascination (with the packaging at least) :ksc75smile:

Jul 13, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #27,714 of 39,986
Audirvana is also highly regarded by many, but I’ve never tried it. I doubt any of them have better sound quality than another. It’s just a bitstream that is output, and then it’s up to your DAC on how it processes the bitstream. It’s more about the user experience imo that distinguishes the players.

Agree with this sentiment. Having said that, Roon SQ can be tweaked quite a bit if you care to go into the DSP options. I use crossfeed for headphone listening, switch it off when I use my speakers, there are sampling rate conversion options incl upsampling, slow roll off/fast roll off and minimum phase/linear filters, parametric EQ, etc. Roon also has built in Reveal plugin for Audeze cans. Plus, integration with HQ Player, which runs seamlessly in the background with Roon as the UI.

Also, the multi zone streaming options are great. Even older gear which sound good but have no streaming options eg an old B&W/Bose/B&O sound dock can be transformed to a Roon end point by installing Roon on an old iPod / iPhone then remote controlling it from your tablet, phone or computer elsewhere in the house.

Jul 13, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #27,715 of 39,986
Agree with this sentiment. Having said that, Roon SQ can be tweaked quite a bit if you care to go into the DSP options. I use crossfeed for headphone listening, switch it off when I use my speakers, there are sampling rate conversion options incl upsampling, slow roll off/fast roll off and minimum phase/linear filters, parametric EQ, etc. Roon also has built in Reveal plugin for Audeze cans. Plus, integration with HQ Player, which runs seamlessly in the background with Roon as the UI.

Also, the multi zone streaming options are great. Even older gear which sound good but have no streaming options eg an old B&W/Bose/B&O sound dock can be transformed to a Roon end point by installing Roon on an old iPod / iPhone then remote controlling it from your tablet, phone or computer elsewhere in the house.

Thanks. Im looking for pretty simple applications. I will be using the player to play files. Thats about it. I dont stream music,nor to other rooms.

Im pretty happy with my current player,but with a new DAC in-bound that apparently sounds spectacular with DSD, I want to dip my toes into that,and my current player doesnt support DSD.

What attracts me to Audirvana is it has a built-in but optional system optimizer that shuts off all computer processes not needed for music playback,then restores the system to normal when toggled off. Apparently it sounds pretty spectacular. Im just a bit worried that my computer will get jacked,but I cant see any documentation to validate those fears.

They have a free trial,so I will probably opt for that once the new DAC arrives.

Jul 14, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #27,716 of 39,986
Been researching software for the better part of the last two hours. I keep reading that the SQ of Audirvana tops Roon,is cheaper than Roon,and supports everything from Mp3 to DSD and MQA. Any experience with it?

Anyone?
You want software upscale or just decode? I always prefer hardware to software.

Have you tried this DAC?
https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/products/vivaldi-dac/

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #27,717 of 39,986
You want software upscale or just decode? I always prefer hardware to software.

Have you tried this DAC?
https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/products/vivaldi-dac/

I ordered a Lampizator Atlantic TRP after having it on loan for ten days. I want to be able to take advantage of its capabilities. I downloaded the Audirvana trial last night,but havent really messed around with it yet. My DAC wont be here for another month though.

Jul 14, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #27,718 of 39,986
I ordered a Lampizator Atlantic TRP after having it on loan for ten days. I want to be able to take advantage of its capabilities. I downloaded the Audirvana trial last night,but havent really messed around with it yet. My DAC wont be here for another month though.

You ordered the Lampizator great.
Do you need a place to live now?

Jul 14, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #27,719 of 39,986
You ordered the Lampizator great.
Do you need a place to live now?

LOL!
My wife loves me and was instrumental in helping me have the chance to get this crazy good(and pricey) piece of gear.
She knows im pretty critical of gear,and rarely does she hear me gush about audio gear,so when I went on and on about the Lampizator she realized it must be pretty special.
So for now,im safe,but if that changes I'll give you a call. You have a spare bedroom? :)

Jul 14, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #27,720 of 39,986

Congratulations great DAC

I’m using Audirvana Plus and I’m happy with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back