2359glenn | studio
Jul 12, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #27,676 of 39,986
This may sound crazy, but I do not stream any of my music,other than a few YouTube videos.

I just buy cd,s or flac music so I know the quality that I am getting. I rip the cd,s myself to flac and make my own MP3 files for listening at work, with just a cheap San Disc music player and some cheap in ears.

Does anybody else just rip their own music. I am guessing not many.
I do have a huge server tower as my pc case and it is loaded with many hard drives....works wonderful IMO.

Not crazy! I rip my own CD's as well. I do have a streaming service that I use to send tunes to a bluetooth speaker...

But for serious headphone listening, I listen to thick rips as well.

:)

Jul 12, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #27,677 of 39,986
I keep forgetting how good Philips EL11 / EL3N sound and every time I go back to them, they always seem to surprise me. They are becoming one of my very favorite drivers in the GOTL.

Below is a pair of EL11 sporting the Valvo logo, but manufactured in 1961 by Loewe Opta. a Philips subsidiary, in a factory located in West Berlin. Loewe Opta also put a side-contact base on these tubes, that is, EL3N, and they typically carry the Philips label. I have never seen the Loewe Opta brand used after this company became a Philips subsidiary,

These are brighter and airier than the WIRAG production and coupled with the 5998, I felt it necessary to use a darker rectifier, the Cossor 53KU. This combo sounds really good to my ears. :)

Very nice!

I am enjoying my EL32 as drivers...

Jul 12, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #27,678 of 39,986
Man, you got to love vacation. Just sit back and enjoy all of your gear and music. Relax in your comfy chair with some music and cocktails in the evening.
If this is what retirement is like, it has to be great!

I was going to work on hiding these wires over my two week vacation, but that has not happened....I have been pretty lazy!

Listening to the recently released album from The Allman Betts Band -Down To The River
They have a big reputation to live up to....hope they can find their own sound...they definitely have the bloodline.
We shall see how it all plays out.

GOTL today with the Atticus....wife is also off today so the close backs will not disturb her....killer sound with the GOTL & Atticus.

GEC 6080 & Mullard ECC33

Your room is looking great, Joe!!

Jul 13, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #27,679 of 39,986
Most important is to check for shorts and gas. No tube tester checks tubes at actual conditions and the same tube can be run
at very different conditions in different amps. A 6SN7 might be running at 90 volts in one amp and 250 in another.

Couldn't agree more.

Top priority is for a tube to be safe.

Test scores are a sellers' tool to get a higher price.
It follows the test scores way of thinking our society is based on, which of course doesn't show the complete picture.
Many used tubes sound great and last a long time.

Jul 13, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #27,680 of 39,986
Not crazy! I rip my own CD's as well. I do have a streaming service that I use to send tunes to a bluetooth speaker...

I digitised all my vinyls years ago and I still rip CD's.

My library has more than 30,000 tracks properly classified with IDs.

Jul 13, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #27,682 of 39,986
Some tubes even NIB ones can be noisy in one amp and quiet in another depending one the operating point.

The only way to find out is by trying.

Jul 13, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #27,683 of 39,986

There ended up being more people doing this than I anticipated....either ripping their own or just buying flac from websites.
I know you still spin a lot of vinyl and probably do not even use too much digital. My hat goes off to you guys as that is such a great sound. :)

in my case, I am much too lazy for that and I am even a whole album listener. I probably would still spin vinyl if i still have my two channel in the basement, but unfortunately those days are behind me now as I try not to disturb the significant other in the house. At this point in my life I only use headphones and digital as it is just too damn handy.

I may add an SACD player at some point as I had Glenn put an extra set of inputs on the GEL3N amp, I do enjoy the DSD stuff if it is made from a proper recording, but to be honest
with these newer dacs a darn good flac recording has risin' to much greater heights.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #27,684 of 39,986
I digitised all my vinyls years ago and I still rip CD's.

My library has more than 30,000 tracks properly classified with IDs.

A man of my heart.
I have all of my cd's ripped.
I would love to do the same with all of my vinyl, but damn that would be a lot of work and I am at the point where all I want to do is listen and enjoy.
I have OALS.....Old And Lazy Syndrome

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #27,685 of 39,986
A man of my heart.
I have all of my cd's ripped.
I would love to do the same with all of my vinyl, but damn that would be a lot of work and I am at the point where all I want to do is listen and enjoy.
I have OALS.....Old And Lazy Syndrome

Joe that's what is most important to Enjoy the Music!

I get my pleasure listening to the music not the gear, I've been in this hobby way too long I guess.......

Jul 13, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #27,686 of 39,986
BTW Tito Puente is on to cheer me up before I go to the airport!

Jul 13, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #27,687 of 39,986
BTW Tito Puente is on to cheer me up before I go to the airport!

Are you guys headed out somewhere....or picking someone up ?

Jul 13, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #27,688 of 39,986
Are you guys headed out somewhere....or picking someone up ?

The youngest is flying to Mykonos so I'm taking her to the airport.

Jul 13, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #27,689 of 39,986
The youngest is flying to Mykonos so I'm taking her to the airport.

Oh wow...good for her....sounds like a big beach party is about to happen.

Jul 13, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #27,690 of 39,986
For those who have heard the famed Mullard ECC32, where does it fall in the ranks of other 6SN7 types in the GOTL? Is there another non-Mullard it is somewhat similar to in terms of character?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back