2359glenn | studio
Apr 22, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #26,086 of 39,983
Have the HiFiMan Jade ll here on loan. Sounds pretty good. Went to turn it up only to realize that it was already maxed. :frowning2:
Glenn needs to make an e-stat amp. I love the Blue Hawaii SE,but not for that kinda $$$.
Hint,hint.

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #26,087 of 39,983
Don't bother paying big bucks for this tube. It is just a 5U4GB with the plate leads brought out the top so it can handle 7000 volts. That would arc over in the socket.
They are built to exacting military standards. I came up with this tube for someone who had a amp that had two 5U4 rectifiers in series and these tubes 5U4 are not made to be run
with the filaments in series. So one tube would worm up before the other and burn out. The filament in the 596s are all the same and worm up the same and not blow out.
Bur probably sounds the same as a 5U4GB a tube everyone hates because it don't look cool. But a good GE or Sylvania 5U4GB sounds pretty good.

The 5U4GB can be bought for about $10...Stan has NOS ones for $15
I have never tried one, but if it sounds the same as the 596 then I will get one or two.

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #26,088 of 39,983
Hello @whirlwind Joe:

As a blues aficionado, may I also suggest a Savoy Brown album to you: "Witchy Feeling".

I am an old 'dyed in the wool' Savoy Brown fan, and have enjoyed seeing them many times since the 1970's.

Savoy Brown has toured the West many times in the past few years, I never miss them, if they are within 90 minute drive.

One such show, Kim Simmonds (the main man/guitar player) told a funny story. Said he was semi-retired from music for a couple of decades in the 90's and 00's...but kept his chops up at home, and enjoyed playing golf in upstate New York (where he lives).

Said for fun, he would look in the local Craigslist and find a blues band that was forming and advertising that they were auditioning for a lead guitar player.

Said he would show up for the audition (young kids would have no idea who he was) and play with the band. Said it never failed that the kids would look at him like "yeah right" but after a couple of hours...they would say: "Okay...that's it...WHO ARE YOU?".

That's when he will tell them he toured the world many times and had some monster hits with a 70's blues band called "Savoy Brown" :)

Love it!

:)

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #26,089 of 39,983
Hello @whirlwind Joe:

As a blues aficionado, may I also suggest a Savoy Brown album to you: "Witchy Feeling".

I am an old 'dyed in the wool' Savoy Brown fan, and have enjoyed seeing them many times since the 1970's.

Savoy Brown has toured the West many times in the past few years, I never miss them, if they are within 90 minute drive.

One such show, Kim Simmonds (the main man/guitar player) told a funny story. Said he was semi-retired from music for a couple of decades in the 90's and 00's...but kept his chops up at home, and enjoyed playing golf in upstate New York (where he lives).

Said for fun, he would look in the local Craigslist and find a blues band that was forming and advertising that they were auditioning for a lead guitar player.

Said he would show up for the audition (young kids would have no idea who he was) and play with the band. Said it never failed that the kids would look at him like "yeah right" but after a couple of hours...they would say: "Okay...that's it...WHO ARE YOU?".

That's when he will tell them he toured the world many times and had some monster hits with a 70's blues band called "Savoy Brown" :)

Love it!

:)

Yes sir, I like Savoy Brown...a quick search in my albums show the following albums

A Step Further
Blue Matter
Boogie Brothers
Getting To The Point
Hellbound Train
Jack The toad
Lion's Share
Looking In
Raw Sienna
Shake Down
Street Corner Talking
Voodoo Moon
Witchy Feeling
Going To The Delta
The Devil To Pay
Still Live After 50 Years

Seems like alot of albums...but I only own about 1/3 !

Kim Simmonds is a wonderful player.

Looks like the oldest album I have is from 1967- Shake Down

I must admit, I have not listen to them in awhile.....I will work Witchy Feeling in my rotation. :)

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #26,091 of 39,983
Don't know much about the Aeolus have to go to the thread and research these a bit

Warm,punchy,fun...Think HD650,but better.

Any thoughts on creating an e-stat amp,or is that not possible?

Apr 23, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #26,092 of 39,983
Wow!!!! Zach shipped me a Verite and a Aeolus today can't wait to get them.
Really want to here the Verite
Don't know much about the Aeolus have to go to the thread and research these a bit.

You will soon be "living the life" :headphones:

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #26,094 of 39,983
I was thinking about that awhile ago but no time to do much design work with all the amps I have to build.

Well,I think the market is rife. Pretty much every serious e-stat system requires a BHSE to sound great. Based upon price-to-performance of your OTLs,I would certainly be interested down the line in having you build me one,as I cant/wont spend 6K on a BHSE.

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #26,095 of 39,983
Here is a BHSP (Blue Hawaii Satin Purple):
HeadAmp-BlueHawaii-SE-Satin-Purple.jpg

This one is $6879.00 - can be yours in 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #26,096 of 39,983
s-l400.jpg
Hey guys Levi here from the Euforia thread. Anyone here have an opinion on the Furman Reference IT 15i? It's a power conditioner / regenerator and is Furman's top model listed as both studio and audiophile grade. I got it from eBay on a 1/2 off deal ($2600 value), seller listed it as used good working condition but never elaborated my further queries about the exact 'miles' on it.

Also I'm curious if anyone on the Glenn thread has a preference if power conditioners / regenerators make any audible improvement on the GOTL, and if so is there any consensus on which one?

Over on the sound science forums people rail against the mere notion of power conditioning to be able to scientifically make any audible difference, but all users of the Euforia amp who have tried one have unanimously reported increase of performance in all main aspects.

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #26,097 of 39,983
Well,I think the market is rife. Pretty much every serious e-stat system requires a BHSE to sound great. Based upon price-to-performance of your OTLs,I would certainly be interested down the line in having you build me one,as I cant/wont spend 6K on a BHSE.

Maybe check on a used BHSE probably save over $1000 or maybe a KGSSHV Carbon

Apr 24, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #26,098 of 39,983
Wow!!!! Zach shipped me a Verite and a Aeolus today can't wait to get them.
Really want to here the Verite
Don't know much about the Aeolus have to go to the thread and research these a bit.

You’re in for an treat! Give the Verite at least 150 hours before making your mind up on it. It takes that long for the drivers to loosen up but when it does you’ll be all smiles.

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #26,099 of 39,983
Give the Verite at least 150 hours before making your mind up on it.

Also make sure to try both pad options. I feel the Universe pads offer the biggest contrast in sound to the Auteur.

Apr 24, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #26,100 of 39,983
Im liking this roll for the Verite. Not too warm. Not too bright. Im going to experiment with other drivers later on,when my time with the Jade ll is up.

58689450_416713692459439_8526577712645537792_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back