2359glenn | studio
Apr 21, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #26,071 of 39,984
Do the GEC 6AS7G have a warm tilt? I like to balance warm output with a more transparent driver.. have fun with the rolling & matching :wink: Looking forward to hearing what combo you like with the 6AS7Gs & Verite.

I will need more time with them before I can say warm/bright/neutral as thus far im doing all my listening via the Verite,which is pretty damn warm. I will say its not as warm as an RCA power tube,but not as bright as the 5998s,if that helps.

Apr 22, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #26,072 of 39,984
So,I bought @UntilThen pair of GEC 6AS7G,which arrived last night. By far the most Ive ever spent on tubes.

I found out theres such a thing as too much GEC. With the U52 and B36, the sound was just too smooth for me and the Verite. Tonight im using the EL8s with the U52 and it has a more dynamic,lively sound....and a very wide staging.

This has been my experience as well. GEC in all positions -- driver, output tube and rectifier -- is just too much of a good thing. And in general, I avoid running tubes from the same manufacturer in all three positions, whether RCA, Tung-Sol, Mullard or what have you. And in fact, I believe that I get the best sound when all three positions are filled with tubes from different manufacturers. For example, WIRAG EL3N, Sittard GZ34 and Tung-Sol 6BX7 has become one of my favorite rolls. But of course, YMMV. :)

Apr 22, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #26,073 of 39,984
I will need more time with them before I can say warm/bright/neutral as thus far im doing all my listening via the Verite,which is pretty damn warm. I will say its not as warm as an RCA power tube,but not as bright as the 5998s,if that helps.

I run the Verite pads on my cans as I find the universe pads too warm for my gear pairing... Current best match for me is the '75 Reflektors in the Cavali LP with the Verite on Verite pads. Sound reminds me of a smoother, organic Utopia. Can't wait to start rolling tubes on the GOTL once my amp is done.

Apr 22, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #26,074 of 39,984
I run the Verite pads on my cans as I find the universe pads too warm for my gear pairing...

Thats one of the great things about the Verite,swapping the pads essentially gives you two headphones for the price of one. I am addicted to the Universe pads as im all about that holographic imaging.

someone has mentioned a third pad thats sorta available that sounds like a cross between the Universe and Verite pads. Trying to get a set from ZMF.

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #26,075 of 39,984
This looks interesting too...when I am done spinning vinyl, will look this up on that inner net thingy:

https://www.billygibbons.com/

I have the Billy Gibbons album......get ready for some deep bass notes :)

No, I did not know of this list.....I have bookmarked it.
I own 15 albums on the list....soon to be more :stuck_out_tongue:

Apr 22, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #26,076 of 39,984
True. Well said. I also don't mind a little tube noise, if the tube in question is worth it.

Although with GOTL and Lundahl transformer, you really don't have to try very hard to have silent operation.
More the norm than the exception.
1957 USAF-596, 1949 Valvo EL8, and 1987 Cetron 6336B. Incredible Realism and Total Silence.
Hi rnros,
What kind of tube is a USAF-596?

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #26,077 of 39,984
What kind of tube is a USAF-596?

I believe its a funky looking rectifier that requires an adapter to use. Have them on an eBay search for awhile now,not a single one has come up,unless the seller is using a different name for them.

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #26,079 of 39,984
I believe its a funky looking rectifier that requires an adapter to use. Have them on an eBay search for awhile now,not a single one has come up,unless the seller is using a different name for them.

That's the right name for them, they are scarce. Unless you get lucky.
Woo Audio has been offering them for awhile now, and yes, their tube offerings are expensive.
However for the 596 they are still asking $350 with their $100 custom Teflon adapter included.
Not so bad considering you will likely pay $200 plus unless you get very lucky.
Especially if you like the Woo adapter.

Only two sellers I know who have some in stock are Woo and a seller in China.
If my exchange rate calculation is correct the Chinese seller is asking much more than Woo.

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #26,080 of 39,984
Rectifier made by United Electronics for USAF. Check the rectifier review thread for sound characteristics.
Scarce, typically go for $200+ currently. Two plate cap adapter required.
Rectifier made by United Electronics for USAF. Check the rectifier review thread for sound characteristics.

I believe Glenn use to get these tubes for like $20.

Here is the tube
DSC00058.JPG

Here is the tube in amp with adapter
DSC02607.JPG

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #26,081 of 39,984
Thanks - here is how it looks like:
usaf_596_tube_1539038733_f97abc7e.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Luckily for me, you cannot tempt me with this tube because I cannot use it - my amp has a HEXFRED rectifier.

Apr 22, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #26,084 of 39,984

Don't bother paying big bucks for this tube. It is just a 5U4GB with the plate leads brought out the top so it can handle 7000 volts. That would arc over in the socket.
They are built to exacting military standards. I came up with this tube for someone who had a amp that had two 5U4 rectifiers in series and these tubes 5U4 are not made to be run
with the filaments in series. So one tube would worm up before the other and burn out. The filament in the 596s are all the same and worm up the same and not blow out.
Bur probably sounds the same as a 5U4GB a tube everyone hates because it don't look cool. But a good GE or Sylvania 5U4GB sounds pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back