2359glenn | studio
Apr 19, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #26,012 of 39,986
I am with @UntilThen for the 6BX7/6BL7 for my HD800 SD. Still the best power tubes for my favourite pair of headphones of all time. The GEC 6AS7G and TS5998 are closed second. However, for my HD650, I prefer the 6AS7 over the 6BX7/6BL7. If I have to do it again, it will be Ulysses plus EL3N sockets.

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #26,013 of 39,986
I will have an tube amp in the foreseeable future. Since I cancel the DNA Stratus, it could be a GEL3N or a 300b amp. All in good time because mountain and water is keeping me entertained big time right now.

Hey Matt, what's the story with the stratus? I thought it would be ready by June?

Apr 19, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #26,016 of 39,986
I discovered the joy of near field listening. Now these speakers and my headphones are getting equal listening time. So I need a tube amp that will drive both speakers and headphones. I know both GEL3N and Glenn 300b amp are up to the task. For near field listening, I don't need it to be very loud. At 1 to 1.5m away from the speakers, you don't want to blast it. :)

IMG-2686.JPG

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #26,018 of 39,986
I cancelled it after I met Miss Sansui. :)

So now I am a bachelor again in the hunt for another tube amp.

Woah.. vintage amps are that good? I've not seriously looked into them yet.

@Sound Trooper did you invest in a pair of speakers for your GEL3N? I think you have the only GEL3N with speakers output.

Not too sure if I have the only GEL3N with speaker outs? Maybe @2359glenn has built other GEL3N with speaker terminals. I initially wanted to run a pair of Omega SAM with the GEL3N but I got.distracted and I ended up upgrading my DAC and adding the Blu MkII. My plan is still to run high efficiency speakers out of the GEL3N so either the a pair of Omega SAM or Voxativ zeth.

Apr 19, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #26,019 of 39,986
I discovered the joy of near field listening. Now these speakers and my headphones are getting equal listening time. So I need a tube amp that will drive both speakers and headphones. I know both GEL3N and Glenn 300b amp are up to the task. For near field listening, I don't need it to be very loud. At 1 to 1.5m away from the speakers, you don't want to blast it.

Haha! I can wait until you 'discover' vintage Harman Kardon amps!!! The Tube amp forum will never be the same :)

Apr 19, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #26,020 of 39,986
Woah.. vintage amps are that good? I've not seriously looked into them yet.

Not too sure if I have the only GEL3N with speaker outs? Maybe @2359glenn has built other GEL3N with speaker terminals. I initially wanted to run a pair of Omega SAM with the GEL3N but I got.distracted and I ended up upgrading my DAC and adding the Blu MkII. My plan is still to run high efficiency speakers out of the GEL3N so either the a pair of Omega SAM or Voxativ zeth.

Yes you have the only EL3N amp with Speaker outputs.
I listened to your amp for awhile 2 days on speakers sounds really good and goes surprisingly loud for 1.5 watts.
Was asked to lower it. Was really plenty of power for me most of the time.
It is the sound of the EL3N amp that I love.
If I ever get time plan on replacing The 300B amps with EL3N amps.
Much prefer output tubes that cost $15 over tubes that cost $1500 and they sound as good or better to me.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #26,021 of 39,986
Yes you have the only EL3N amp with Speaker outputs.
I listened to your amp for awhile 2 days on speakers sounds really good and goes surprisingly loud for 1.5 watts.
Was asked to lower it. Was really plenty of power for me most of the time.
It is the sound of the EL3N amp that I love.
If I ever get time plan on replacing The 300B amps with EL3N amps.
Much prefer output tubes that cost $15 over tubes that cost $1500 and they sound as good or better to me.

Isn't that a wonderful thing...tubes that cheap can sound that good. The tubes have those weird side contact pins and provide little glow...but there is no denying the sound they produce.
I can put $600 worth of tubes in the OTL, and they do not sound better ..but that is a lot of cash for tubes....it can almost buy a 2nd basic OTL .

For planar headphones, it is no contest...does not matter if I use the hard to drive Ori or the easier to drive LCD-3

Thing is everybody loves a different sound...so to each their own....find what you like and enjoy your music :)

Apr 19, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #26,022 of 39,986
I have the GEL3N in my tunnel vision.

Glenn, what speakers did you use when you were listening with the GEL3N. Make, power, efficiency and ohm please.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back