2359glenn | studio
Apr 19, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #26,026 of 39,983
The operative word is 'yet' ! :)

Meanwhile I enlarged your amp to have a better look. It is beau-ti-ful. :)

It sure is beautiful.....simple and elegant.

For the people that obsess over not having any noise in the back round...one tube mode provides this....always black as midnight.
Two tube mode is much more dynamic, more everything...slam impact & dynamics...much more authority...as with anything with tubes and transformers, can at times have some back round noise....it disappears with the music.

I know some people always want their amps to be dead silent. Probably best for them to check on some SS options....but they will be missing some wonderful tube goodness.

Apr 19, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #26,028 of 39,983

For the people that obsess over not having any noise in the back round...one tube mode provides this....always black as midnight.
Two tube mode is much more dynamic, more everything...slam impact & dynamics...much more authority...as with anything with tubes and transformers, can at times have some back round noise....it disappears with the music.

I know some people always want their amps to be dead silent. Probably best for them to check on some SS options....but they will be missing some wonderful tube goodness.

True. Well said. I also don't mind a little tube noise, if the tube in question is worth it.

Although with GOTL and Lundahl transformer, you really don't have to try very hard to have silent operation.
More the norm than the exception.
1957 USAF-596, 1949 Valvo EL8, and 1987 Cetron 6336B. Incredible Realism and Total Silence.

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #26,030 of 39,983
I discovered the joy of near field listening. Now these speakers and my headphones are getting equal listening time. So I need a tube amp that will drive both speakers and headphones.

Whats wrong with using one of your Sansui amps for nearfield? Been using my 881 to drive my Focal Aria 905s for years. Seven days a week,16 hours per day,and it still sounds fantastic. The fact that it is the best amp Ive yet to hear for my Sextetts is a bonus.

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #26,031 of 39,983
Whats wrong with using one of your Sansui amps for nearfield? Been using my 881 to drive my Focal Aria 905s for years. Seven days a week,16 hours per day,and it still sounds fantastic. The fact that it is the best amp Ive yet to hear for my Sextetts is a bonus.

Nothing wrong with my Sansui(s) for nearfield but I wanted the best of both worlds. Tube amps and vintage amps going forward for me. I have been thinking about the GEL3N for a while now. All the more so because I first saw this Mazda EL3N while searching for a Mazda 6N7G. Posted it on the Euforia thread and egged H1 on to adapt it. The rest as they say is history.... I doubt we heard the true potential of EL3N there although it sounded good.

But it wasn't until Glenn in his wisdom proceed to create a custom amp based on EL3N. No one else has done this. As a proof of concept, he proceeded to use those gorgeous and expensive Lundahl transformers and it worked beautiful.... as attested by Joe, @Sound Trooper, Zach and other GEL3N owners.

So as soon as I sort out the many things happening in my life, not the least re-buying the Axis VoiceBox S again, I'll put myself in the GEL3N queue ! :smile_phones:

8174036.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #26,032 of 39,983
Yes you have the only EL3N amp with Speaker outputs.
I listened to your amp for awhile 2 days on speakers sounds really good and goes surprisingly loud for 1.5 watts.
Was asked to lower it. Was really plenty of power for me most of the time.
It is the sound of the EL3N amp that I love.
If I ever get time plan on replacing The 300B amps with EL3N amps.
Much prefer output tubes that cost $15 over tubes that cost $1500 and they sound as good or better to me.

Didn’t know mine was the first, I’ll not be surprised if it turns out to be the first of many.. :beyersmile:

Hey Joe, well said and I agree with everything you said. I run mine on two tube mode (aka turbo mode) all the time for the best results.

Another thing about the GEL3N is that rectifier tubes makes a difference as well. With the Sittard GZ34, the sound is fast and dynamic, while with the Sophia Princess 274b, it sounds warm and romantic. The WE422A combines the best of both tubes and that is why I have it in most of the time.

Nothing wrong with my Sansui(s) for nearfield but I wanted the best of both worlds. Tube amps and vintage amps going forward for me. I have been thinking about the GEL3N for a while now. All the more so because I first saw this Mazda EL3N while searching for a Mazda 6N7G. Posted it on the Euforia thread and egged H1 on to adapt it. The rest as they say is history.... I doubt we heard the true potential of EL3N there although it sounded good.

But it wasn't until Glenn in his wisdom proceed to create a custom amp based on EL3N. No one else has done this. As a proof of concept, he proceeded to use those gorgeous and expensive Lundahl transformers and it worked beautiful.... as attested by Joe, @Sound Trooper, Zach and other GEL3N owners.

So as soon as I sort out the many things happening in my life, not the least re-buying the Axis VoiceBox S again, I'll put myself in the GEL3N queue ! :smile_phones:

I think we will see you with a GEL3N sooner rather than later. I am also running a pair of EL6 as power tubes and this potentially gives 6w (not sure about this).

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #26,033 of 39,983
I’m thinking additionally have preamp out capability to tag with any of my integrated amps for a wicked sound.

Obviously I’d love to hear hd800 and LCD-3f on the GEL3N.

Apr 19, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #26,034 of 39,983
Another thing about the GEL3N is that rectifier tubes makes a difference as well. With the Sittard GZ34, the sound is fast and dynamic, while with the Sophia Princess 274b, it sounds warm and romantic. The WE422A combines the best of both tubes and that is why I have it in most of the time.

Thanks for the rectifiers impressions. It will be a first for me with regards to rectifiers and I sold the Sittard GZ34 to you. :)

I bought a U52 and it could not be delivered despite arriving in Sydney. It had to be send back to UK!

Apr 19, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #26,035 of 39,983
I’m thinking additionally have preamp out capability to tag with any of my integrated amps for a wicked sound.

Obviously I’d love to hear hd800 and LCD-3f on the GEL3N.

Yes! Pre-outs. I forgot to add this in my GEL3N and it is one of my regrets.

Thanks for the rectifiers impressions. It will be a first for me with regards to rectifiers and I sold the Sittard GZ34 to you. :)

I bought a U52 and it could not be delivered despite arriving in Sydney. It had to be send back to UK!

Yup, really appreciate you letting go of the Sittard GZ34. It turned out to be one of my favourite rectifiers!

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #26,037 of 39,983
Listening to some Jeff Beck this morning with GEL3N and LCD-3...I have most of his albums, and this is one of my favorites.
cover_25771762017_r.jpg

If ever anybody did not need a vocalist, it is this guy...he does what others can't!

Apr 20, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #26,039 of 39,983
Listening to some Jeff Beck this morning with GEL3N and LCD-3...I have most of his albums, and this is one of my favorites.

If ever anybody did not need a vocalist, it is this guy...he does what others can't!

Yes, Jeff Beck is amazing. I saw him live, once, and he told the crowd that "he never had a hit on the radio" and
that all of his success was thanks to those who bought his albums and spread the word amoung thier friends...

The show was really impressive.

Have been hearing lately, that he is suffering from major hearing loss and tinnitus.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back