2359glenn | studio
Nov 24, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #23,567 of 39,986
Putting the EL11s through with various power tubes. With a quad of these russian 6H13C, it's a nice variation from 6 x 6bx7gt. With a very nice tube bloom and bounce.

I very much prefer the EL11s over the Mullard ECC35 now. EL11s sounds so natural and relax. I can relate to Phanta and rnros with their description of EL8. Musical cues floating in their own space and clearly delineated from each other. You can pin point instruments. Superb imaging.

For you, UT, does "musical cues" equate to "micro details"?

:)

Nov 24, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #23,569 of 39,986
1633 as driver

2x Russian Ribbed Plate Fotons
2x Tung Sol 6SN7's
And
2x Baldwin (Sylvania) 6SN7
As Powers

SENN HP650 loves this Tube Compliment...

Talk about micro detail...listening to New Age artist "Steve Tibbetts" his new album "Life Of..."
It is superbly recorded and preformed...

Since we know that I normally like a V shaped tube compliment and the flat response SENN HP580 love a V shaped tube compliment....

This must be a Flat tube compliment, and the V shaped SENN HP650's dig this combo...

image.jpeg

:) :) :)

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #23,570 of 39,986
And as usual, I continue to wander way off the beaten path... lol :)

For some time, I have really been digging the embossed Lorenz C3g, Tung-Sol 6BX7 and Telefunken WE56, But recently, the treble response has begun to seem just a bit off. So I replaced the Telefunken with a Valvo AZ12 (Hamburg,Germany) and I think this is a better combination. But again, as usual, my ears and my gear, YMMV. :)

2018-11-24 11.08.11.jpg

Nov 24, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #23,571 of 39,986
Appreciate if anybody can PM the email ID of Deyan. Thanks.

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #23,572 of 39,986
And as usual, I continue to wander way off the beaten path... lol :)

For some time, I have really been digging the embossed Lorenz C3g, Tung-Sol 6BX7 and Telefunken WE56, But recently, the treble response has begun to seem just a bit off. So I replaced the Telefunken with a Valvo AZ12 (Hamburg,Germany) and I think this is a better combination. But again, as usual, my ears and my gear, YMMV. :)

Looking good, gibosi...

The Lorenz C3g - darker than Siemens'...now a step darker, yet..? Or you increased it a touch?

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #23,573 of 39,986
To my ears, all my Telefunken rectifiers are way too bright with the Siemens, but just about right with the Lorenz. Similarly, to my ears, all my Valvo's are also way to bright with the Siemens, but they are just a tad less bright than the Telefunkens. So this was a small tweak, and so far, it seems like a winner. :)

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #23,574 of 39,986
I switched pretty quickly to the 6 x 6BX7 combo once I got my GOTL. However recently switched the power tubes to the 2 x 6H13 that Glenn originally provided. Have to say, based on the genres I listen to(mainly metal), and my personal preferences, I think I like this combo more compared to the 6x 6BX7 combo. Though it might be less technically correct (at least the way I perceive it), it just provides this 'wall of sound effect' that I LOVE. I its like the soundscape becomes larger and more all encompassing, I think mainly because it boosts the sub bass and bass in general. The 6x6BX7 is much more neutral and probably 'cleaner', but to me it also sounds more restrained vs. the 6H13. I also find the combination airier vs. the 6BX7

Using the 3DG4 rectifier and a 13D1 driver. Running the Blackwood Auteur's using the Mojo's lineout.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #23,575 of 39,986
For you, UT, does "musical cues" equate to "micro details"?

It is micro details but more than that. It's when the sax sounds on your left channel, vocals in the middle, drums to the back of vocals and the piano comes in on the right. You will hear these instruments in very clear details, at times in succession and at times concurrently. That's my interpretation of it. :)

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #23,576 of 39,986
I switched pretty quickly to the 6 x 6XB7 combo once I got my GOTL. However recently switched the power tubes to the 2 x 6H13 that Glenn originally provided. Have to say, based on the genres I listen to(mainly metal), and my personal preferences, I think I like this combo more compared to the 6x 6XB7 combo. Though it might be less technically correct (at least the way I perceive it), it just provides this 'wall of sound effect' that I LOVE. I its like the soundscape becomes larger and more all encompassing, I think mainly because it boosts the sub bass and bass in general. The 6x6XB7 is much more neutral and probably 'cleaner', but to me it also sounds more restrained vs. the 6H13. I also find the combination airier vs. the 6XB7

Using the 3DG4 rectifier and a 13D1 driver. Running the Blackwood Auteur's using the Mojo's lineout.

You have describe the differences between 6h13c and 6bx7 well there. 6h13c and 6as7 have a more tubey sound, that is fuller, more bloom. 6bx7 is more dynamic, tighter and more incisive to my ears. Which you prefer is definitely up to individuals. Music you listen to, your other gear will all play a part in your preference.

Also over a period of time, your preference can change.

Nov 24, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #23,577 of 39,986
Beautiful collection of EL11’s UT...

RadioMuseum says EL11 is EL3N in a different base....

And EL8 is EL3N with 1/2 as much output...

Sounds like EL’s tubes will sound similar (which I believe you have said too).

They do sound similar but there is a clear distinction. EL3N is warmer. EL11 and EL13 sounded very similar with the EL13 being a fraction less forward. EL11 and EL13 are also clearer, with better treble extensions.

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #23,578 of 39,986
I switched pretty quickly to the 6 x 6XB7 combo once I got my GOTL. However recently switched the power tubes to the 2 x 6H13 that Glenn originally provided. Have to say, based on the genres I listen to(mainly metal), and my personal preferences, I think I like this combo more compared to the 6x 6XB7 combo. Though it might be less technically correct (at least the way I perceive it), it just provides this 'wall of sound effect' that I LOVE. I its like the soundscape becomes larger and more all encompassing, I think mainly because it boosts the sub bass and bass in general. The 6x6XB7 is much more neutral and probably 'cleaner', but to me it also sounds more restrained vs. the 6H13. I also find the combination airier vs. the 6XB7

You should try the 6BL7's...they are warmer, with a lot more "guts" in the bass region than 6BX7...

They are also easier to come by than 6BX7's...

Cheers..

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #23,580 of 39,986
HaHa, not crazy... Brilliant!
It was only a matter of time until the GOTL Ultra Eleven emerged from Glenn Studio. :)
Congrats on being the first. You will be in GOTL heaven for years to come.
In addition to the Amazing Sound, it's also notable that you can purchase all three pairs of the EL3N, EL8, and EL11 for the price of one pair of C3g.
Which is additional justification for the cost of the Lundahl transformer... This will be a Lundahl GOTL, yes?
(And of course, another $100 saved on adapters. : ))

LOL, I've been eye-balling the deck of my GOTL wondering if I would have to sacrifice a couple of 6BX7 sockets to have EL3N sockets installed.

Thanks for the kind words Ros. Yeah Lundahl loaded GOTL :)

This looks like a headphone amp using 4 EL8.

That looks like the HifiMan ShangriLa-Jr electrostatic amp which uses a quartet of 6SN7
http://hifiman.com/products/detail/288
Waaaaay overpriced IMHO (8000$)

They do sound similar but there is a clear distinction. EL3N is warmer. EL11 and EL13 sounded very similar with the EL13 being a fraction less forward. EL11 and EL13 are also clearer, with better treble extensions.
Noted!! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back