2359glenn | studio
Jun 10, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #20,926 of 39,994
Hi SI,
vintsenns_0.jpg

I, too, had a pair of those but in white. And yes, the earpads tore. That was in the early 70's - something tells me that the current models sound better...
(If you want to relive your past, there are two for sale on eBay.)

Hi Mordy,

I had 2 HD414s, one which I normally listen to and another 50th anniversary version which is mint in box. I'll probably start looking out for a boxed HD 414 50th anniversary.

Just collected the EL6 tubes from the post office and they are now in the amp. Will let them run for a while before coming back to listen and post impressions.

4B9F056C-42FA-4947-9B93-83521EE03B01.jpeg

Jun 10, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #20,929 of 39,994
Something happen.... music sound so good now. Big, bold and pounding. Enigma is mesmerising. There are only 2 changes. I'm using Auralic Aries Le via AES/EBU to NAD M51. Can't be the M51 because that can't be better than Yggy.... or can it? :)

So it has to be Aries. This is sounding so good now. Oh love the ECC35 so much it goes back in after the short session with c3g. The tubes will remain there now. When the magic is there, I don't want to change anything now. Preferred headphone is still HD800 by far.... well in this setup.

20180610_182657.jpg

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #20,932 of 39,994
Speaking of pictures of humble gear, one of the ear pads on my HD700 has ripped open. :frowning2:
Waiting for a replacement to arrive.....

Are those the original pads Ken ?
You have listened to this headphone for a good long time.
I listened to the HD800 for over a year , every single day without using anything else

My HD800 pads are showing a small amount of wear
At some point I am going to order a new pair.
Last I checked I think they were near $100 for a set

The Senn HD600/HD650/HD700/HD800 have stood the test of time, great headphones

Hi Mordy,

I had 2 HD414s, one which I normally listen to and another 50th anniversary version which is mint in box. I'll probably start looking out for a boxed HD 414 50th anniversary.

Just collected the EL6 tubes from the post office and they are now in the amp. Will let them run for a while before coming back to listen and post impressions.

Thanks Sound Infinity, I will be looking forward to your impressions.
I have never heard the Fostex TH900mk2, but I would assume the bass is very addicting and textured.

Like you I have mainly been using closed headphones so I do not bother my wife.
Both closed/open cans have their pros and cons.
After a couple two or three stouts/porters....I sometimes listen a bit loud.

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #20,933 of 39,994
Something happen.... music sound so good now. Big, bold and pounding. Enigma is mesmerising. There are only 2 changes. I'm using Auralic Aries Le via AES/EBU to NAD M51. Can't be the M51 because that can't be better than Yggy.... or can it? :)

So it has to be Aries. This is sounding so good now. Oh love the ECC35 so much it goes back in after the short session with c3g. The tubes will remain there now. When the magic is there, I don't want to change anything now. Preferred headphone is still HD800 by far.... well in this setup.

Those shelves look nice.

Jun 10, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #20,934 of 39,994
My son left those shelves behind. He was using it to raise his PC Monitor. I had no use for it previously but now it's fits the slim M51 and Aries. :)

Jun 10, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #20,935 of 39,994
I have never heard the Fostex TH900mk2, but I would assume the bass is very addicting and textured.

I have.... at the Sydney HiFi Show last year. I heard 3 headphones that day at the Addicted To Audio booth. Those guys greeted me like old friends because I had just bought Yggdrasil, Ragnarok, HD800 and LCD-2f from them a week before.

First headphone I listen to was HiFiMan Susvara driven by Woo Audio WA33. Man this is one crazy combo. I have never heard bass so deep and authoritative. It's deeper than middle earth and the whole tonality is surreal. I don't know what to make of it. Impressed definitely because it's unlike anything I've heard before.

Second headphone I listen to was Grado GS2000e. I have never been a fan of those small cup Grados but this Grado is different. It has big ear cups and it sounded great !!! I make a mental note that I might buy it later but then I saw the price. This is Grado statement headphone and it sure has a statement price too.

Third I listen to the Fostex th900 mk2. Bass is strong, very strong and the whole FR is skewed that way. I find the treble diminished as a result. However I had just listen to 3 headphones in quick succession. So ... take it with a grain of salt.

Jun 10, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #20,938 of 39,994
What is this beast used for? A triple triode 7.5A Graphite Plate tube:
s-l1600.jpg
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_7242.html:

"Power triple cathode triode designed as series regulator for power supplies. Similar to 7241 with higher mu. 100W total anode dissipation, mu 9, current limited to 300mA per cathode, 900mA total. Three cathodes with single grid and plate connections; hard glass bulb, 7 pin giant base."

https://tubedata.tubes.se/sheets/127/7/7242.pdf:

"In many circuits, one 7242 can replace four type 5998 regulator tubes."

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #20,939 of 39,994
I have the MTCH paired with the Aureurs while I wait on the GOTL but it’s a discernible difference when I use the Auteur pads (wider sounding and much more neutral) compared to the perforated Eikon pads which is more closed in but much warmer.

I was thinking the pads swap could get you close to the sweet Fostex sub bass sound signature without sacrificing much. :)

I’ve tried the Eikon pads and indeed it brings more warmth to the Auteurs. However I felt that the “airy-ness” magic is slightly gone and it is replaced by a more energy in the bottoms. Despite this, sub-bass is still no where near TH900Mk2 levels. Sound stage also suffers slightly. Overall, I still preferred the Auteur pads and thank you very much for the suggestion.

I think it’s great that Zach includes both pads in the package and owners can swap pads to find their preferred sound signature.

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #20,940 of 39,994
Thanks Sound Infinity, I will be looking forward to your impressions.

Like you I have mainly been using closed headphones so I do not bother my wife.
Both closed/open cans have their pros and cons.
After a couple two or three stouts/porters....I sometimes listen a bit loud.

Third I listen to the Fostex th900 mk2. Bass is strong, very strong and the whole FR is skewed that way. I find the treble diminished as a result. However I had just listen to 3 headphones in quick succession. So ... take it with a grain of salt.

To my ears, the TH900mk2’s main strength is it’s exceptional bass and sub-bass performance. Bass is both fast and textured while sub-bass extends low and cleanly. Mids (compared to the Auteurs) are a tad recessed while treble is not as smooth as the Auteur. I think the TH900mk2 will be a marmite headphone (ie either u love it or you will hear it) for many. It is also remarkable that both TH900mk2 and Auteur are 50cm bio-cellulose drivers with wooden cups however they sound totally different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back