2359glenn | studio
Feb 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #2,011 of 39,998
Quote:
You are giving me a huge task Glenn, come on! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Can I try them when my sweets arrive listening to The Love Unlimited Orchestra? 
tongue_smile.gif

The sweets won't be there till the end of next week at best

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #2,012 of 39,998
Quote:
SO, you'll need to do more time with your HD650's. Lucky thing you have a few HP related items to use with them!

Quote:
Quote:

Partial list:

25 Fevrier 2013

D7000 @ 1,809 hrs
HD650 @ 22 hrs
W4S DAC-1 @ 1,733 hrs
Silver Hawk (24 Fev'12) @ 695 hrs
MMF-7 (Goldring MC) @ 19 hrs

I was going to sit-in and play some great music with it. But decided to do movie night. Currently on the iPod/HD650; Tuesday/Wednesday may pair the OTL with the TT.

Do you like the sound of the HD650s with the OTL .  I think they sound pretty good with it I have a pair of HD650s and a pair of HD800s.
I do think the 650s sound good for what they cost.

I'm w-a-y behind schedule. January saw virtually no head-time at all. I entered the listening room to dust pretty much. The HD650 was stuck on 18 hours for the longest - I added 4 hours last night but with the iPod. Sounds good with the ipod. I've listened to the Senns on the OTL, as well as the Vintage Iron. I'm still trying to get use to them, as I have been emotionally flat of late. I definitely can use more sessions.

One thing that stands out immediately over the young 22 hours, is that it is more sensitive to the quality of recordings. My D7000 is more forgiving and will tolerate many different genres as well in the library. I am enjoying their complimentary role - the two cans together has lifted my experience. 

What's ahead: summertime, I just might get them dolled-up with new cables and have it "Hardwired." 

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #2,014 of 39,998
Feb 25, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #2,015 of 39,998
Quote:
A lot of people were very impressed with the sound of the HD650 when I paired it with Glenn's OTL amp at last year's Nor-Cal Meet.

This is from Questhate's Nor-Cal Feb 11, 2012 Impressions Thread post:

[size=10pt]One of my absolute favorite rigs there was the HD650 + custom 2359Glenn-built amp that was at Clayton SF’s table. I’ve tried to like the HD650 before, but couldn’t help but associate it with the dreaded “V-word”. On this particular amp, it was quite a revelation. It sounded open, airy and clear while still being warm and smooth. Anyone looking for a sub-$1000 endgame, I’d seriously give that pairing a consideration.[/size]

and this post from Rockofeller.

The OTL is amazingly flexible.  It opens up the HD650, and all the way on the other end of the spectrum it takes the harshness out of the K701. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #2,021 of 39,998
Quote:
Quote:
mad.gif
 I'm standing @ the front of the queue for the next one.

I'll keep you to that. If you really need a pair I'll sell you one from my personal stock, or better exchange one for a 596...

I only missed out this time 'cause the tea tins are barren; lying 
blink.gif
on their sides. I have two spares of The Mighty 596. Can afford the swap if you'd like! Just woke up; will send PM after Brunch next hour...

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #2,022 of 39,998
The amp I have been working on is finished I think it is the best sounding one.
It uses a new transformer made by Heyboer Transformer It is a little larger and 115/230 volt.
But I think it has a lower magnetic field around it making less hum and noise to be picked up in the amp.
I have been using Heyboer Transformers at work in industrial controls and called them when
the company I have been using got crazy with there prices on custom transformers.
The Heyboer were 1/3 the price and sounding better is a bonus.

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #2,023 of 39,998
Glenn. That's really a nice looking amp. Actually better than nice looking--it is GREAT LOOKING!
You have done a beautiful job again!

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2,024 of 39,998
Excellent looking amp Glenn!...What tubes are those?

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #2,025 of 39,998
Quote:
The amp I have been working on is finished I think it is the best sounding one.
It uses a new transformer made by Heyboer Transformer It is a little larger and 115/230 volt.
But I think it has a lower magnetic field around it making less hum and noise to be picked up in the amp.
I have been using Heyboer Transformers at work in industrial controls and called them when
the company I have been using got crazy with there prices on custom transformers.
The Heyboer were 1/3 the price and sounding better is a bonus.

Well done, sir! That you feel it's your best sounding, this is at once exciting and pleasing to hear. What type of amp is it? What we really wanna know 
biggrin.gif
 is who is that build for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back