2359glenn | studio
Feb 7, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #1,876 of 39,998
They look amazing Clayton, congrats.  I'd love to have a version with 845s on the output side......... maybe someday.  I'm being too selfish, I just got my modest little speaker amp modded after all and that did turn out well.

BTW you can remove the metal shield cans on those C3g tubes, underneath is one of the most beautiful tubes you will ever see.  The German Post tubes have gold grids with woven wire mesh shields around them.  I intend to find out if the guy who sells them (Jacmusic) is willing to remove the shields prior to shipping as a service as I don't trust myself to remove them myself without breaking the tube. We will also need to find out how to locate the index pin afterwards for proper insertion into the socket, but IMO it is well worth it to see a beautiful tube instead of a black metal can.

Glenn told me your monos turned out really well, the C3g ended up being a better driver than the 10Y.  It was a good gamble to try I guess.  I had one of those gut feelings about the tube from the moment I first heard about them a year ago.

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #1,877 of 39,998
Thanks everyone. I am very excited about Glenn's mono blocks. I'll take unboxing pictures, etc.

Xcalibur255: I don't have the dexterity nor the skill to remove those metal shield cans. Shucks. So I'll just have to enjoy its black satin finish.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #1,878 of 39,998
Same story with the Brasilia 6SN7M. 

Jac is very accommodating he'll do his best.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #1,879 of 39,998
Prediction: I see a BIG fat vacuum tube phono stage coming my way late spring, early summer. In the mean time...rack 'em!

Left-to-right: Music Hall mmf-7.1; Vintage 1977 Sony PS-X5; Gemini PT-2000 III

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #1,881 of 39,998
Quote:
Quote:
Prediction: I see a BIG fat vacuum tube phono stage coming my way late spring, early summer. In the mean time...rack 'em!

Left-to-right: Music Hall mmf-7.1; Vintage 1977 Sony PS-X5; Gemini PT-2000 III

Do you need the output to be balanced ?  Just in case you get a WA22

We're skipping the WA22. Well, unless I trip over one unknowingly placed on the front porch when I dash out to get the mail.
rolleyes.gif
 JUN-JUL-AUG promises to be interesting...

Still would like to see your phono stage - not in a hurry, rather when you have time.
popcorn.gif

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #1,882 of 39,998
 I like the Music Hall MMF-7.1 turntable the best since it has a clamp. If you use a Sorbothane type of a record mat the difference in SQ is huge since you are bounding the vinyl to a heaver mass. You will be surprised at the difference. I used to have the very latest in turntable technology. The Sony bio-tracker tonearm Sony PS-X600
sony-ps-x600_44938.jpg

and  the JVC version [size=11pt]QL-Y5F[/size]
[size=11pt]
IMG_2593.JPG
[/size]

. Those two turntables had electronic controlled servo tonearms alone with direct drive platter motor. This means that the stylus pressure, anti-skating and damping all done with linear motors with feedback. I had a battery anti-static guns, anti-static record sleves and all kinds of cleaning solutions. Some were very good and some made matters much worst.
The JVC is my current turntable.
You can see one of the linear motors attached to the right of the tonearm. If you look carefully you can see the pin from the tonearm to the motor I use a light weight record clamp that is slotted and clamps tightly on the spindle when I let go of it. This way I get the full force of a heavy record clamp without the weight. Not only the unusual tonearm but the height of the whole tone arm and tilt of the cartridge can be adjusted as well. See the thumbscrew for height at the left of the tonearm.
[size=11pt]In spite of the  technology used it was not very expensive turntable. [/size]
[size=medium]Description[/size]
[size=medium]A top model from the JVC range, the QLY5F incorporates this company's version of the electronic tonearm using linear force motors.[/size]
[size=medium]Any vibrating system utilizing mass and compliance has a resonance point. Therefore, the same applies to the tonearm used in a turntable.[/size]
[size=medium]Tonearms now sold on the market possess a resonance frequency at around 5-10Hz. This resonance frequency has a great effect on the reproduction of middle and low frequency ranges.[/size]
[size=medium]In addition, warped and/or off-center records, and/or the external vibrations of it make the tonearm vibrate, thus resulting in a modulation of the sound groove signals when the sound groove is being reproduced.[/size]
[size=medium]The electro-dynamic servo tonearm employed on the JVC QL-Y5F has been developed to solve these problems.[/size]
[size=medium]The vibration speed of the tonearm is electrically detected and damped by the operation of the servo loop.[/size]

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #1,885 of 39,998
Quote:
 I like the Music Hall MMF-7.1 turntable the best since it has a clamp. If you use a Sorbothane type of a record mat the difference in SQ is huge since you are bounding the vinyl to a heaver mass. You will be surprised at the difference. I used to have the very latest in turntable technology. The Sony bio-tracker tonearm and  the JVC version. Those two turntables had electronic controlled servo tonearms alone with direct drive platter motor. This means that the stylus pressure, anti-skating and damping all done with linear motors with feedback. I had a battery anti-static guns, anti-static record sleves and all kinds of cleaning solutions. Some were very good and some made matters much worst.
I also had a Thorens turntable as well.

The Rabbit Hole is so large for vinyl playback, you'd think there were Municipal Bonds
blink.gif
 involved! The turntable belt left me broke but I may look more closely at record mat options March/April. Although, the mmf-7.1 has built-in isolation, I'd rather jack it up on 3"x3" brass footers atop 4" Maple. This tweak made my PS-X5 swing! It has punch, dynamics and is a bit more open sounding up in the middle. 

Will play around with the Music Hall this week with a battery of tuning tests...always fun! I like the 2359glenn/OTL & mmf-7.1 pairing so far. I know there's potential for things to move higher; we are a bit excited this weekend.

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #1,886 of 39,998
Now using my beautiful OTL (2359glenn|studio amp) for both analog & digital; the Vintage Pioneer Stereo Receiver for both analog & digital.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #1,887 of 39,998
I didn't realize the W4S dacs were that big.  You could fit at least 6 of my VDA-2s inside. 

Also, those toggles on that vintage iron makes me want to go out and buy one just so I can flip them up and down all day. 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #1,888 of 39,998
Quote:
I didn't realize the W4S dacs were that big.  You could fit at least 6 of my VDA-2s inside. 

Also, those toggles on that vintage iron makes me want to go out and buy one just so I can flip them up and down all day. 
tongue_smile.gif

Well then, you're in trouble - the toggles have a really nice feel to them. 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #1,890 of 39,998
Thanks, wotts! Since going sunset-to-sunrise last Friday/Saturday with the MMF-7.1, I'm now back to scheduling listening sessions three to four nights a week...lots of catching up to do! I've been getting a lot of ribbing over the weekend for the TV stand.
dt880smile.png

And yes, the brass footers make an audible improvement with any source I have, analog or digital. With the latter, the gains get slimmer as I move down the line. BIG gains with the music server, less than with the DAC and even lesser than with the amp.

However, I may try to fabricate a Maple bottom chassis to the OTL, perhaps a 1" plinth. Then I could place brass footers directly underneath - currently the chassis presents a slippery pairing. Already knocked it over accidentally but recovered with black cat like 
biggrin.gif
 reflexes. My biggest concern is fire - would the amp create enough heat over time to start smoking? And catch fire? Not concerned while seated, but when I shut it down and walk away to run down the street or something.
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back