2359glenn | studio
Nov 28, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #16,801 of 39,986
As my college professor used to say, you don't "read" Joyce, you "re-read" Joyce. And Joyce purportedly said something like, "It took me 7 years to write this book so it ought to take the reader 7 years to read it!" :)

I think I will forget about Joyce and take up vegetable farming instead. Within 7 years I should be able to grow something.

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #16,804 of 39,986
Listening to the Axis VoiceBox S this afternoon makes me realised that I actually love 2 very different sounding speakers. The VoiceBox is a very revealing monitor that also happen to sound musical. Fast transient response, outstanding vocals, precise stereo imaging and a tight controlled bass. Listening to Eva Cassidy sing 'Bridge Over Troubled Waters' I was visibly moved by the emotions in her voice. Move aside Garfunkel, Eva's a better singer. 2nd track was a drum piece and I stopped breathing for a second. The toms, cymbal, hi-hats and bass drums sounds so real !!! This tiny speaker thrive on power. Feed it the 265w 4ohms Redgum and hear the VoiceBox sing. It's glorious.

Now with the VoiceBox gone, I'm back with my floor standers Axis LS88. This is the other aspect of the sound that I love. This is full on, the low ends dig deep and with authority. You will feel the bass and who doesn't like solid bass and I mean really solid. Like hits you in the chest. Listening to Sade now, I find my body moving in rhythm with the song. When the tone is great, you will react this way.

Which leads me to Ulysses. I haven't gotten the amp yet but I have a pretty good idea the different tones that that amp is capable of producing with the many different tube combinations. I have faith that I will be able to hear the 2 tones that I love in the descriptions above, in Ulysses and that my head-fi setup will be as enjoyable as my stereo system. I will find out soon.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #16,805 of 39,986
Even I could not take this seriously. Growing weeds? Really? What would my good neighbours think. :)

Ulysses loved nature..............

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #16,806 of 39,986
Last of the pictures, at least the ones that turned out any good at all.

DSC00147.JPG

DSC00223.JPG

DSC00263.JPG

HDLH8653.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

DSC00279.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00176.JPG
    DSC00176.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00256.JPG
    DSC00256.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 28, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #16,807 of 39,986
Great photos, nice hall.

I like the photo of you and your better half best.
Your lady has such a lovely face I can't imagine her giving you a hard time ever.

BTW your smile Joe is tops no wonder you can get away with new gear no questions asked!!!!!

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #16,808 of 39,986
What a wonderful couple you are Joe. Your wife sharing your passion at a Bonamassa's performance.

Similarly I envy you on the live performance. Nothing like a live performance. That said, in the quiet of the morning. I sat and listen to Eva Cassidy rendition of 'What A Wonderful World' on Eikon powered by Ragnarok. As much as I love the stereo system, I have to say that the head-fi system never fail to please me. The tonality is great, intimate and extends beyond the headphones. I do miss the euphoria from a tube amp though. Ragnarok is great. Precise, focus and with a hint of tube amp goodness. Gutsy and powerful but tubes does only what tubes does best. A coloration that makes a Picasso even better.

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #16,809 of 39,986
Great photos, nice hall.

I like the photo of you and your better half best.
Your lady has such a lovely face I can't imagine her giving you a hard time ever.

BTW your smile Joe is tops no wonder you can get away with new gear no questions asked!!!!!

You are correct, she is definitely the better half, no question, but I could no way get away with buying any gear I wanted...just in my dreams only.
I

What a wonderful couple you are Joe. Your wife sharing your passion at a Bonamassa's performance.

Similarly I envy you on the live performance. Nothing like a live performance. That said, in the quiet of the morning. I sat and listen to Eva Cassidy rendition of 'What A Wonderful World' on Eikon powered by Ragnarok. As much as I love the stereo system, I have to say that the head-fi system never fail to please me. The tonality is great, intimate and extends beyond the headphones. I do miss the euphoria from a tube amp though. Ragnarok is great. Precise, focus and with a hint of tube amp goodness. Gutsy and powerful but tubes does only what tubes does best. A coloration that makes a Picasso even better.
Great photos, nice hall.

I can not listen to speakers anymore...I can not play them loud enough to enjoy without disturbing others...so headphones it is for me....got to say though, i have never looked back as I love the intimacy of them :)
I just love music and headphones make that happen very well for me...could not imagine a life without music.

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #16,810 of 39,986
Hey everyone. I'm a long time Woo owner and I've had my interest peaked from a discussion in the Woo thread on Glenn's amp offerings. So what gives with the huge detail retrieval differences that I've read about with Glenn's 300b and the WA5? Obviously the Glenn studio amp is reported to be a much better amp.

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #16,811 of 39,986
Hello Jerick, long time no see.

Regarding the Glenn 300b and Wa5 details differences, you have to ask @Badas and specifically TonyNewman because they had the opportunity to listen to both amps side by side.

That wonderful 300b amp belong to Tony.

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #16,812 of 39,986
Hello Jerick, long time no see.

Regarding the Glenn 300b and Wa5 details differences, you have to ask @Badas and specifically TonyNewman because they had the opportunity to listen to both amps side by side.

That wonderful 300b amp belong to Tony.
Hey UT. Yeah, long time no talk. It's great to talk to you again. So you've moved on from the Elise it appears.

I currently own the Woo WA5. I really enjoy it. If there is greener grass on the Glenn side of the 300b fence I may jump. I've tried quite a few amps since my Elise days and settled on 300b goodness of the WA5.

It was Badas that I was talking with about it. He is saying that it is a "Night and Day" difference between the two amps. The Glenn amp getting the best of the Woo. I wish I could listen to them side by side. I HATE making blind purchases.

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #16,813 of 39,986
Hey everyone. I'm a long time Woo owner and I've had my interest peaked from a discussion in the Woo thread on Glenn's amp offerings. So what gives with the huge detail retrieval differences that I've read about with Glenn's 300b and the WA5? Obviously the Glenn studio amp is reported to be a much better amp.

Side by side the Glenn was warm and natural. WA5 was leaner.
What really made me go wow! was the fact that not only was the Glenn warmer it had more high treble detail.
On one particular track (Foggy Mountain dew) I could hear the tape source like SS. On the WA5 it was gone.

Both amps were running TAK 300B's and CG3 drivers (WA5 had adapter installed). Just the rectification was different.

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #16,814 of 39,986
Side by side the Glenn was warm and natural. WA5 was leaner.
What really made me go wow! was the fact that not only was the Glenn warmer it had more high treble detail.
On one particular track (Foggy Mountain dew) I could hear the tape source like SS. On the WA5 it was gone.

Both amps were running TAK 300B's and CG3 drivers (WA5 had adapter installed). Just the rectification was different.
Hmm, very interesting. So what is one of these going to set me back @2359glenn ? @Badas was this a stock 300b or was it customized?

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #16,815 of 39,986
Hmm, very interesting. So what is one of these going to set me back @2359glenn ? @Badas was this a stock 300b or was it customized?

It was a standard amp that Glenn makes with the Lundahl transformers upgrade.
I think there was something else added as well. Volume control I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back