2359glenn | studio
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #15,421 of 39,986
Haha.. it's not often you're right next in line for a Glenn amp, and you have all of us providing good feedback and resolution.. I think your amp Glenn is incorporating all the lesson learned. HEXFRED + Amperite time delay tube sounds like a wonderful solution.

Jul 8, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #15,423 of 39,986
In single stage with transformer input the amp in one stage will have more gain the input transformer will boost the input signal 4X.
It will have the option to use the input transformer or go straight in to the grid of the EL3N.
Being able to select whether or not to have the input tranny in the signal is a great idea Glenn. For high sensitivity headphones you can run straight gain of the tube, and for hungry headphones where you need more volume the transformer can give it a boost. That transformer will change the sound in its own way so having the option to turn it on or off is nice peace of mind.

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #15,424 of 39,986
Being able to select whether or not to have the input tranny in the signal is a great idea Glenn. For high sensitivity headphones you can run straight gain of the tube, and for hungry headphones where you need more volume the transformer can give it a boost. That transformer will change the sound in its own way so having the option to turn it on or off is nice peace of mind.

Yeah, this sounds very interesting.

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #15,425 of 39,986
The new amp has a friend, new dac arrived this morning.

DSC00270.JPG

DSC00277.JPG

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #15,426 of 39,986
Haha.. it's not often you're right next in line for a Glenn amp, and you have all of us providing good feedback and resolution.. I think your amp Glenn is incorporating all the lesson learned. HEXFRED + Amperite time delay tube sounds like a wonderful solution.
Ah decisions, decisions for any potential new Glenn 300B owner. Tube rectifiers or HEXFRED + Amperite time delay. I'd probably still go the tube rectifier route if I was purchasing today. My DAC also comes with a few different configurations - and one those configs is tube rectifier or not. I also chose the tube rectifier option here. Nice to have choices.

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #15,427 of 39,986
The new amp has a friend, new dac arrived this morning.

Congrats Joe! That's a very, very nice combo. Please let me know your impressions of the Spring after your honeymoon.

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #15,428 of 39,986
Jul 11, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #15,431 of 39,986
Nice DAC Joe
How do uou like the sound with the EL3N?

X1,000,000,000 (that's a billion for those who aren't good at math.) Glenn and I are just finishing the final touches on my GEL3N order; please... please say, "your in bliss!"

Listening to Crossroads 2 live (as I write), "EPIC" as stated before. If you don't have it buy it (seriously!), if you like the blues/ rock.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #15,432 of 39,986
X1,000,000,000 (that's a billion for those who aren't good at math.) Glenn and I are just finishing the final touches on my GEL3N order; please... please say, "your in bliss!"

Yes, it is a wonderful amp, you should be very happy.

Congrats Joe! That's a very, very nice combo. Please let me know your impressions of the Spring after your honeymoon.

Thanks Arnold, sure will let you know my impressions after some time with it....seems like burn in time is a few hundred hours from what I read.
Right out of the box, I have no complaints what so ever. I have only listen to 44/16 and 88/24 flac so far. I need to get the DSD set up in foobar!

Hmmm holo spring...impressions please :)

It is an upgrade from my previous dac, need time to burn in....that being said....I have listened all day and am very happy indeed.

Nice DAC Joe
How do uou like the sound with the EL3N?

I am loving the combo so far Glenn, I am hooked on the planar bass with your amp and this dac....I will try the HD800 tomorrow if I can pry the planar off of my head :)
I have yet to try the OTL with the dac, it is going to be hard to turn this amp off.
I will try the OTL later in the week, at least, that is my goal.

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #15,433 of 39,986
As I'm sure to experience... absolutely! Now, it's time to move to part 4 of Clapton's Crossroads 2 Live... (4 0f 4 CD set)

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #15,435 of 39,986
Congrats Joe. I can see your toes tapping. It's going to sound good. As good as my Yggy. :)

... and that EL3N amp is a beauty.

Thank you sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back