2359glenn | studio
Jul 8, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #15,407 of 39,986
Side track abit
I have been listening to my GOTL for two hours and i like it.
So far the experience has been good and for the ability to roll almost any tubes in it is heaven for those tube roller

Below is the amp running 6 x 6bl7 with 5692 driver and AZ4 rectifier

Running smoothly

That setup should sound great with HD800s or HD650s

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #15,409 of 39,986
Side track abit
I have been listening to my GOTL for two hours and i like it.
So far the experience has been good and for the ability to roll almost any tubes in it is heaven for those tube roller

It's a little hard to be certain from the pic, but that looks like a Philips AZ4 manufactured in Eindhoven. A good sounding rectifier IMO. :)

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #15,410 of 39,986
Indeed Ken but there are those whose noise floor is low enough to tolerate, like my little dot mk iii (which i'm listening with right now paired with the HD600). Absolutely quiet. I read somewhere here that the 300B amp was noisier than usual so that's a big concern for me...but the lure of the 300B is strong..... :wink:
Do it. Mine is very quiet - and I have the following setups:
- Tube DAC -> tube preamp -> Glenn 300B
- Turntable -> solid state phono pre -> tube preamp - Glenn 300B

Even with those potentially noisy setups, I can only hear a very, very tiny hum at night when everything else is completely silent - but I have to really concentrate to hear it. Of course it is inconsequential when listening to music, even during silent gaps. I found that a good pair of tube rectifiers on the 300B can really bring the noise floor down. I found the same with my Woo Audio WA22.

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #15,411 of 39,986

Oh, I just realized that you are running 6 X 6BL7...

That AZ4 might not last long in your current setup. IIRC, each 6BL7 pulls 30 ma, and one 6SN7 pulls 20 ma, for a total of 200 ma. And recharging the filter capacitors requires a bit more. My practice is to add about 20 ma for recharging, which yields a grand total of about 220 ma. Unfortunately, the AZ4 is rated at only 200 ma. With 6 X 6BL7, it is maxed out, and again, might not last very long...

If I wish to use AZ4 rectifiers I run only 4 X 6BL7.

Jul 8, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #15,412 of 39,986
@Rossliew
I plan on making all future 300B amps with HEXFRED rectifiers and a Amperite time delay tube.

Glenn, do you think you have some time to build me the HEXFRED adapter? you think anyway to include the Amperite on there?

@Rossliew, my 300B is now quite, after solving the hum problem by adding weights on the transformer housing. @TonyNewman also seems to have solved his hum problem by moving to HEXFRED and having his power transformer potted.

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #15,413 of 39,986
Hi

Tony Newman sent out his transformer to have it potted and the guy is gone with his transformer. He ordered another transformer but
I don't think he ever got the amp running again. Don't know if his teck knows how to wire the transformer up.
If you got rid of the hum I don't recommend using SS rectifiers with out a time delay. The B+ will come up faster then the bias voltage
slamming the 300Bs with high current at turn on. The meters will peg all the way for a couple of seconds.
To put in the timer I would have to remove the 9 pin sockets and put in a octal socket for the timer.
I will try to get to the HEXFRED this week but I don't like doing it.
At risk of blowing a expensive 300B without a timer on the B+.

Jul 8, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #15,415 of 39,986
Oh, I just realized that you are running 6 X 6BL7...

That AZ4 might not last long in your current setup. IIRC, each 6BL7 pulls 30 ma, and one 6SN7 pulls 20 ma, for a total of 200 ma. And recharging the filter capacitors requires a bit more. My practice is to add about 20 ma for recharging, which yields a grand total of about 220 ma. Unfortunately, the AZ4 is rated at only 200 ma. With 6 X 6BL7, it is maxed out, and again, might not last very long...

If I wish to use AZ4 rectifiers I run only 4 X 6BL7.

Ok. Noted
I will use 4 x 6BL7 in the future

Jul 8, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #15,416 of 39,986
Hi

Tony Newman sent out his transformer to have it potted and the guy is gone with his transformer.

Damn, that sucks! (pardon my language gentlemen)

@TonyNewman
Sorry to hear about this Tony :triportsad:

Jul 8, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #15,417 of 39,986
That's sucks... my chat with Tony a couple of days ago it seems he got the replacement dipped and installed. Maybe if he still around head-fi he can chime in and post a pic or two.

Going to take your advice and skip out on the HEXFRED Glenn.. really looking forward to giving it a try though, maybe with 300BXLS I can still have a chance? I'll send you a pm.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #15,419 of 39,986
@Rossliew, my 300B is now quite, after solving the hum problem by adding weights on the transformer housing. @TonyNewman also seems to have solved his hum problem by moving to HEXFRED and having his power transformer potted.

Good to hear there's a real solution to this issue. I've had mixed experiences with tube amps usually end up having some kinda hum/hiss issues.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #15,420 of 39,986
Do it. Mine is very quiet - and I have the following setups:
- Tube DAC -> tube preamp -> Glenn 300B
- Turntable -> solid state phono pre -> tube preamp - Glenn 300B

Even with those potentially noisy setups, I can only hear a very, very tiny hum at night when everything else is completely silent - but I have to really concentrate to hear it. Of course it is inconsequential when listening to music, even during silent gaps. I found that a good pair of tube rectifiers on the 300B can really bring the noise floor down. I found the same with my Woo Audio WA22.
Thanks for the motivation hahaha..I'm edging closer no thanks to u guys :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back