$23 speakers at Best Buy that measure well and sound good
Jun 25, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #107 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
I have almost the opposite reaction from yours. then again I bought a NAD320BEE after comparing it with T-amp. Under NAD, the mids is really nice and full, the bass is not quite solid yet, and high is a little Grado like (before burn-in). So i expect all to improve after some burn-in.

LMAO..I must be crazy..$400 amp with $37 speaker....OUCH! damn you headfi!

LMAO.I am quoating myself here.

OK..per some suggestion on this forum..I used headamp out from Zhaolu D2 to the power amp section of 320BEE...****...this amp just turned from $400 cheapo (relatively speaking) to $1k+ gem! this is so great. i wonder if the nad amp can be further improved with a better preamp stage...

Jun 25, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #108 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
[size=x-large]OMG[/size] I am buying myself 2 pairs!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

already did
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #109 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
LMAO.I am quoating myself here.

OK..per some suggestion on this forum..I used headamp out from Zhaolu D2 to the power amp section of 320BEE...****...this amp just turned from $400 cheapo (relatively speaking) to $1k+ gem! this is so great. i wonder if the nad amp can be further improved with a better preamp stage...

Best Buy price matched the 1st set of speakers that I got last week and gave back $15 that I spend from $53 and I purchased the 2nd set for $37. I'm going to get another set tommorow to create a 6.1 system.

Around Christmas, I plan on getting the Denon 3910 which is a $1500 player and a $700 Denon reciever and use it with these $37 a pair speakers for DVDs and music. I will also add an HSU subwoofer too. It will kick ass! The Insignias will rock the house!

I now have Insignia fever! Can't wait.

Jun 26, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #111 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
Best Buy price matched the 1st set of speakers that I got last week and gave back $15 that I spend from $53 and I purchased the 2nd set for $37. I'm going to get another set tommorow to create a 6.1 system.

Around Christmas, I plan on getting the Denon 3910 which is a $1500 player and a $700 Denon reciever and use it with these $37 a pair speakers for DVDs and music. I will also add an HSU subwoofer too. It will kick ass! The Insignias will rock the house!

I now have Insignia fever! Can't wait.

Heh, kinda killing the budget aspect of your system there aren't you?

Jun 27, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #112 of 473
Ok set them up and snapped pics...

the set up is..

Toshiba dvd as a transport
LITE ah dac
Eddie Current ec-01 into the ec/dc as a preamp
adcom gfa-545 power amp
mit avt 1 20 ft rca (the amp is under my bed while the rack is on the side.)
Radio shack Gold rca (old fusion cable)
cardas twinlink speaker cable.

notice the ROOMTUNES treatment and auralex panals...it helps a load!

Basicly its set up at the foot of my bed now, listened for a few hours and I must say these speakers are nice!!! really nice. the speaker setup is making me think about my bigger setup across the room now, I think I need to do some more placement in rig one cause this small setup is showing some great imaging and soundstage.

the speakers behind the insigs are my old dynaudio 122's..

I will try the diy tube amp with them tomorrow, I need to do more listening now.
sorry for the crappy pics..

Jun 27, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #113 of 473
Wow, those look bigger than I thought they'd be, Billy.

Mine are expected to arrive later this week. I have no idea where I'm gonna set them up in this tiny apartment, but I couldn't resist the latest BB sale!

I need some stands. Can anyone recommend some inexpensive, easy to obtain speaker stands?

(At least I have an amp to use with them
tongue.gif
)

Jun 27, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #114 of 473
Just got these myself (my first purchase based on this forum) and was amazed at the size. They are NOT SMALL! Also looking for some cheap stands. Keep in mind that they are shaped funny (curved sides). Don't even have a way to drive them (yet).

Let the dammage to my wallet commence!
plainface.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #116 of 473
Add me to the list of good-but-inexpensive-stand-seekers. I bought the last pair at the Manhattan 23rd Street store (...and they gave me an extra $5 off?! ... so $30+tax and good weight-training session via over-arm-L&R-shoulder-carry + a little curling).

If I come across something in the right price range -- to make me feel I'm still in the bargain basement, without ruining the sound -- I'll post it, but nothing found yet.

There are stands for $70-$80-$90, etc. -- but somehow that just seems wrong for $35 speakers (even very nice ones) -- sort of kills the fun factor. Oh, well.

BTW -- I did look all over BestBuy but no speaker stands -- to speak of.

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #117 of 473
Hmmm. I haven't yet seen speaker cable comments in this thread, unless I'm too tired and missed them???

Have there been budget cable references?

Anyone try B&H's "Pro" cables, such as:
B&H "Pro-Co Sound" 12-gauge $16.50 for 10ft+bananas both ends -- or is that just more "Pro Audio" junk?

...or better suggestions? ..good inexpensive bulk cable and banana plugs (hopefully not Monster, but whatever)? Haven't done this in eons (well, decade or more...).

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #118 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow
Also got the Insignia 200w receiver for $80.00 (open box) although theye were only $102.00 unopened. Like others am amazed at the quality features, the weight, the binding posts and frankly the sound. It's a great entry-level system.

Slightly off-topic....doesn't that receiver have a set of main-in/pre-out jacks? I bet if you substitute the supplied jumpers with a set of nice (and short) interconnects, you can hear ever more improvements.

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #120 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Add me to the list of good-but-inexpensive-stand-seekers. I bought the last pair at the Manhattan 23rd Street store (...and they gave me an extra $5 off?! ... so $30+tax and good weight-training session via over-arm-L&R-shoulder-carry + a little curling).

If I come across something in the right price range -- to make me feel I'm still in the bargain basement, without ruining the sound -- I'll post it, but nothing found yet.

There are stands for $70-$80-$90, etc. -- but somehow that just seems wrong for $35 speakers (even very nice ones) -- sort of kills the fun factor.

Good score, Peter! I elected to have mine shipped. It would cost me $20 in cab fare from Manhattan to Queens, plus I'd have to do all the hauling. For the same $$, UPS will ship them to my building and my super will deliver them to my door when I get home.

Just ordered a pair of 24" Sanus speaker stands from Kmart's website for $30. Not ultra-cheap, but less expensive than similiar alternatives from BB, CC, etc. as you mentioned. I guess if you want to really go bargain-basement, pick up four cement cinderblocks. I wanted something a little nicer.

Speakers are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Stands by the weekend. First I'll try some cheapo speaker cabling. If all goes well, I'll be listening to tunes on my first speaker system in fifteen years by the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back