$23 speakers at Best Buy that measure well and sound good
Jun 27, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #121 of 473
Should I get these speakers, or the Swan M200's?

Jun 27, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #122 of 473
Blah, I should have hit this deal earlier. They're now $49.99 for the pair (

Jun 27, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #123 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Just ordered a pair of 24" Sanus speaker stands from Kmart's website for $30. Not ultra-cheap, but less expensive than similiar alternatives from BB, CC, etc. as you mentioned. I guess if you want to really go bargain-basement, pick up four cement cinderblocks. I wanted something a little nicer.

Speakers are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Stands by the weekend. First I'll try some cheapo speaker cabling. If all goes well, I'll be listening to tunes on my first speaker system in fifteen years by the weekend.

Good Find! The same Sanus BF24B is $54.99 at B&H!!!

What do call "cheapo speaker cabling"?

Jun 27, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #124 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Good Find! The same Sanus BF24B is $54.99 at B&H!!!

Seconded! I just ordered there as well. A quick search turned up many stores in the $45-50 range. For 29 bux I'm there.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jun 28, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #126 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Blah, I should have hit this deal earlier. They're now $49.99 for the pair (

Azure, even at $50 a pair these are a great deal. They are a nice sounding speaker. I bought my first pair for that price and wasn't at all disappointed. I got lucky that they went on sale within the 30 day buying period and Best Buy refunded me the $15 difference. Would I have bought that second pair if they weren't on sale. Sure. Just not as soon, but I would have picked a pair up at some point. But it was hard to pass them up for $35. I even got a friend to buy a pair as well. (Ah yes, hooked another one to send down the audiophile road.)

Jun 29, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #127 of 473
Has anyone tried to stack these?

How do they sound when stacked and/or placed side to side?

Jul 1, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #128 of 473
I know this isn't what you meant by " stacked ", but this is my stack. A lot of good sound coming from that corner.
icon10.gif

I am really impressed. Fun to listen to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../DSCN0670a.jpg

laptop>edirol ua-25>super-t>insignia

Jul 3, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #130 of 473
i like the speaker box designed, which are more ideal for sound quality than the usual rectangular box. usually only more expensive speakers have rounder end. you can buy them and replace the drivers with a better one.

Jul 6, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #132 of 473
Finally got around to assembling the Sanus speaker stands last night. Took about twenty minutes and a philips-head screwdriver. They come together easily and look nice, but aren't the most stable or heaviest (would love to seal them somehow, and fill them with sand or something). You get what you pay for.

The 24" height is good for my room and the Insignia speakers. I wouldn't want to put them on the higher versions. Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee

Picked up a 30' spool of 16G speaker cable from RatShack for $7. Cut it to desired length, strip the ends, hook up to receiver & speaker posts. Once I figured out how to turn on my receiver's digital-inputs (going optical from my DVD player) I was rewarded with sweet sounds. Yay, success!

Out of the box these are displaying a predominance in the lower midbass regions when played at higher volumes - maybe too much for my taste musically. At low volumes though, this makes for a nicely rounded, full sound. Highs are decent though, displaying clarity without any stridency - very pleasant. Not sure how much this is coming from my receiver, as its amp section is reported to be on the warm side (some have described it as almost "tubey" in other forums). In fact, this may be why it proved to be a good match with the AKG K1000's. We'll have to see how these speakers progress as they burn in.

In the end, these won't be for critical listening for me. Maybe someday I'll have a house & room for that. My apartment is anything but ideal as far as placement, and I don't have the time nor inclination to test every little tweak (but if you have any, feel free to share!). For now, they're for fun, non-critical music listening and movie watching. The fact they look great increases the fun factor, not to mention WAF (keeping the covers on for now)!

Jul 7, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #133 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
The 24" height is good for my room and the Insignia speakers. I wouldn't want to put them on the higher versions.

I put together the 31" sanus stands + abs spikes (24" height would have the speakers firing at the edges of our too-high "pillow top" mattress"). The speakers (with 1/2 round rubber cushion feet added) look neat and, despite the added height, seem reasonably stable. Of course when my wife or I wake up groggy and stumble around, I'm sure we'll knock them over at least once or twice!

Maybe I can figure a way to rig a sturdy vinyl pouch with sand to weight to lower end somewhat, and/or attach some lead weights under the corners of the base.

I got 20ft. gold-pin-terminated Monster XP-HP cables for $9.97 at R.S., but haven't hooked them up yet.

Jul 10, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #135 of 473
just got a pair of these earlier today. using toshiba 3950 as source and pioneer sx-950 reciever as amp (built in the '70s). as a speaker cable, i'm using this cord pulled from old clothes irons (two chords from two different irons) and its pretty damn crappy: measured ~5ohms in less than 3ft.

anyways, so far it sounds a bit on the dark side, darker than i prefer. the lower range slam is really nice, but i just can't get over the darkness of the top end. adding a bit of treble on my reciever helped a little, but added an annoying "glare" to the top. i bet its my reciever thats causing it... gotta build a gainclone soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back