$23 speakers at Best Buy that measure well and sound good
Jul 11, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #136 of 473
Hooked mine up to an old Mitsubishi receiver (80w x 2) and only spent under an hour so far (mediocre amp, but all that's available now). "Dana Owens Album" out of Musical Fidelity X-Ray CD player (RCA/Audio Out) sounds lush and warm. No deep bass. Tried "The Matrix" DVD from Pioneer DV563a player, and though punchy it is sorely in need of a powered subwoofer. Since I don't have one for the bedroom, this setup will be for very casual music listening and video.

Need much more burn in, setup experiments, and listening time.

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #137 of 473
As I expected -- the Sanus stands have such a tiny top platform that I already managed to knock one speaker off. (Small edge dent but no damage.)

Removed round rubber feet (strong adhesive) and rubber corner pads (useless adhesive) and applied heavy velcro square to each corner. Now perfectly stable.

Jul 12, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #138 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
the Sanus stands have such a tiny top platform

Boy-o you ain't just a kidding. Tiny barely covers it (pun intended). Blue tack works wonders too.

Jul 22, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #139 of 473
I picked these up last week for use with my computer and have been driving them with a Zhaolu 2.0C and a heavily modded t-amp (mega t-amp?).

I have to say these are exceptional for the price, the bass isn't deep but very fun. The highs exhibit a little sibilance, but nothing terribly offensive. Soundstage is very coherent, and superior (a normalized comparison) to AKG 701s. Biggest complaint is it gets a bit congested at times with some of the metal I listen to.

Jul 22, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #140 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zowbombs
I ... have been driving them with ... a heavily modded t-amp

How big is the room you're using these in, and how far are you sitting from the speakers? How much volume are you getting out of the Insignias before the amp clips? Any issues with the magnets interfering with your monitor?

Sorry for the inquisition, just seems like the Insignias are a natural match for the T-amp, but I haven't heard many details about the combo.

Jul 22, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #141 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
How big is the room you're using these in, and how far are you sitting from the speakers? How much volume are you getting out of the Insignias before the amp clips? Any issues with the magnets interfering with your monitor?

Sorry for the inquisition, just seems like the Insignias are a natural match for the T-amp, but I haven't heard many details about the combo.

Well the room I'm using these in is around 35 feet by 25 feet, but I listen to these almost exclusively near-field ~ 1m.

I have a SPL meter and they easily get to 90dB nominal at my listening position. I really haven't listened to them at volumes above that, but I would hazard one could get to 96dB in near-field without any clipping with this setup.

The Insignias are situated on polar ends of my desk with the monitor in the middle. This particular monitor is a CRT, and with ~2 feet clearance between speakers and monitor, I haven't noticed any interference.

Jul 25, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #143 of 473
Another thing to buy when I'm going down to the States later next month.

I wonder how the packaging is, size-wise? Fit it into a suitcase? Probably not. The packaging is probably not tough enough to withstand airport workers though hahaha

Jul 25, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #144 of 473
each speaker is about 14 inches tall and 12-13 inches deep including the bananna plug jack.

the box is just huge.... i'd say its a 2ft cube with a couple inches of padding.

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #145 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68

I doubt that it's a good combo, although I should give it a try. I'm throwing a hundred watts per side at the Insignia's (old modded Hafler DH-200), and they love the power.

If the bass seems lean, or the sound seems a bit strained, I'd say give them some watts. They may work with low powered amps, but they work well with a bit of juice behind them.

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #146 of 473
I agree about the power. These are not ridiculously hungry, but definately do benifit from a good chunk of headroom.

Also, make sure your signal is unmodified to test performance... When I first set them up in my room on an old receiver I had lying around they sounded HORRIBLE... until I realized I had the 'loudness' button turned on...
rolleyes.gif

MUCH better now.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #147 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
each speaker is about 14 inches tall and 12-13 inches deep including the bananna plug jack.

the box is just huge.... i'd say its a 2ft cube with a couple inches of padding.

Thanks! I might just buy a bigger box and stuff a crapload of crumpled newspapers in it for safety, then throw it to airport luggage hahaha.

I wonder how these compare to the Athenas?

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #148 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC
Thanks! I might just buy a bigger box and stuff a crapload of crumpled newspapers in it for safety, then throw it to airport luggage hahaha.

just use your clothes for padding. works really well, i did that for an entire computer

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #149 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC
I wonder how the packaging is, size-wise? Fit it into a suitcase? Probably not. The packaging is probably not tough enough to withstand airport workers though hahaha

The product package (box) for a pair of these Insignias is 14inches x 16 inches x 20.25inches and weighs 28 lbs. When I ordered a pair of these from Best Buy, they just put a shipping sticker on the product box and let UPS do the rest - no shipping packaging outside of the product box. The product box and the speakers arrived in fine condition. But, if you decide on another layer of packaging, above are the actual product box dimensions.

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #150 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack
The product package (box) for a pair of these Insignias is 14inches x 16 inches x 20.25inches and weighs 28 lbs. When I ordered a pair of these from Best Buy, they just put a shipping sticker on the product box and let UPS do the rest - no shipping packaging outside of the product box. The product box and the speakers arrived in fine condition. But, if you decide on another layer of packaging, above are the actual product box dimensions.

UPS is pretty darn rough with it's packages. I guess speakers don't have too many moving parts (none?
biggrin.gif
) so it should be okay. Now the dilmma is... should i put "FRAGILE" or not. Hahaha. It seems if you put "FRAGILE" they are more rough with it
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back