$23 speakers at Best Buy that measure well and sound good
Aug 7, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #166 of 473
Any use the Insignia amp with these? I hear there is one at Best Buy for 70 bucks. Anyone else have a better idea than this, because I need something to power them as well. Think I'm going to pick up a pair tomorrow! By the way, those mods posted look interesting, it seems like a few of those could be done a lot cheaper (especially than 95 bucks). Anyway, anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #167 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredNinja
Any use the Insignia amp with these? I hear there is one at Best Buy for 70 bucks. Anyone else have a better idea than this, because I need something to power them as well. Think I'm going to pick up a pair tomorrow! By the way, those mods posted look interesting, it seems like a few of those could be done a lot cheaper (especially than 95 bucks). Anyway, anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

What Insignia amp are you talking about?

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #168 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredNinja
Any use the Insignia amp with these? I hear there is one at Best Buy for 70 bucks. Anyone else have a better idea than this, because I need something to power them as well. Think I'm going to pick up a pair tomorrow!

I was looking at the Insignia stereo receiver yesterday ($100.00 at Best Buy store but cheaper on bestbuy.com). I have posted about this receiver before and everyone basically just bash it without ever hearing it. For $100.00, it's surprisingly well-equipped....pre-outs/main-ins and toroidal transformer. I am very tempted to pick it up myself and try it.

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #169 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
I was looking at the Insignia stereo receiver yesterday ($100.00 at Best Buy store but cheaper on bestbuy.com). I have posted about this receiver before and everyone basically just bash it without ever hearing it. For $100.00, it's surprisingly well-equipped....pre-outs/main-ins and toroidal transformer. I am very tempted to pick it up myself and try it.

Let us know!

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #170 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy

On the previous page of this thread you'll notice that Bozebuttons just bought for his son (from BestBuy) a system "... with the insignia speakers 39.95 for the pair a 200w insignia receiver 87.95,a 12 inch Sony 150w subwoofer 159.95 ,a sony DVD player 68.99 & speaker cables 15.99...". Maybe they'll get around to posting their impressions, once it's set up.

Aug 7, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #171 of 473
I noticed that, but I figured since it was for his son that there wouldn't be much posting going on : (

Then again, sounds like dad is excited too!
wink.gif

I'm going to go check these out at Best Buy tomorrow, maybe pick them up. I'll let you guys know what I think of the amp if I get a chance to check it out, but I'm mainly a headphone guy, so I won't really be much serious help.

If anyone knows of a better reciever for around 100, please let me know. I'm not really on top of these things. It sounded adequate for my purposes, but the quality probably isn't so hot. Then again, these speakers seem to be an anomaly, maybe the amp is too?

Aug 8, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #172 of 473
Question for you guys..

I just bought these speakers, but I haven't gotten enough money for a receiver yet.

I do have an old set of Logitech Z-560s. The sub is blown on them, but I was curious if it would hurt anything if I hooked the speakers up to the front left/right outputs on the sub's amp until I get a receiver. What do you guys think?

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #173 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
On the previous page of this thread you'll notice that Bozebuttons just bought for his son (from BestBuy) a system "... with the insignia speakers 39.95 for the pair a 200w insignia receiver 87.95,a 12 inch Sony 150w subwoofer 159.95 ,a sony DVD player 68.99 & speaker cables 15.99...". Maybe they'll get around to posting their impressions, once it's set up.

My son Loves his subwoofer the most( I must have been crazy to let him buy it,vibrating the whole house).The receiver seems to be well worth the money,Not a world beater but hey we are talking $88 ,has a lot of features & doesn't sound bad ,Still need to pickup speaker stands& a small rack for his room.
Also I found orderering online & picking stuff up at the store you get a better deal,then just going to the store & buying off the shelf.
The subwoofer was 199.95 in the store,got it online for 159.95,the only thing that was priced the same was the DVD player,everything else was discounted online.

Aug 9, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #174 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by I3eyond
Question for you guys..

I just bought these speakers, but I haven't gotten enough money for a receiver yet.

I do have an old set of Logitech Z-560s. The sub is blown on them, but I was curious if it would hurt anything if I hooked the speakers up to the front left/right outputs on the sub's amp until I get a receiver. What do you guys think?

Should be ok. IIRC, the satellites were 4ohms, the insignias should be fine. But I hope you learned your lesson when blew that sub.

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #176 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
My son Loves his subwoofer the most( I must have been crazy to let him buy it,vibrating the whole house).The receiver seems to be well worth the money,Not a world beater but hey we are talking $88 ,has a lot of features & doesn't sound bad ,Still need to pickup speaker stands& a small rack for his room.
Also I found orderering online & picking stuff up at the store you get a better deal,then just going to the store & buying off the shelf.
The subwoofer was 199.95 in the store,got it online for 159.95,the only thing that was priced the same was the DVD player,everything else was discounted online.

Thanks for the update. I'll need something like that Sony sub eventually.

Don't know if you're interested, but I got the Sanus 31" tall stands at Amazon for $34.95 with free shipping:

Amazon - Sanus 31" stands

They're nothing fancy, but they're easy to assemble, innocuous matte black, and with velcro or blue tak the speakers will be stable (on the tiny platforms). I use the ABS spikes inserted in the base of mine. They must be innocuous because my wife doesn't hate them. When I get around to it, I might attach some lead weights on the underside of the bases.

Speaking of innocuous, I'll bet if I get the Insignia receiver to replace the physically as well as sonically obnoxious ("silver" look) Hitachi receiver, my wife will be happier with the slim black appearance.
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #177 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons

LOL. I'm a kid myself and just got some wharfedales. I'm such a bass junky, I'm already looking to buy an sub. I just wish you could walk into a store and they sold cheap, compact subs that matched my speakers well (crossover freq is 2.3 khz) and was relatively cheap and not 50 pounds. My room is small!

Aug 12, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #178 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
I just wish you could walk into a store and they sold cheap, compact subs that matched my speakers well (crossover freq is 2.3 khz) and was relatively cheap and not 50 pounds.

2.3 kHz refers to the crossover point between your tweeter and woofer (assuming your Wharfedales are 2-way speakers). What you need to know is the low-frequency limits of your speakers. There're a number of under $200.00 powered sub that should fit your requirements.

Aug 12, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #179 of 473
i think i just figured out where to spend the balance of my bb gift card!

is that the stock xover and magnet in the pictures on diyaudio?

man, i have to wonder why i haven't been going to bb!

assuming those pics are of stock it is absurd they can offer that for that price. see my post about the ar cables? how can they make any profit on stuff like this, even paying $.02/hour labor?

for subs, i do not know what yamaha is making nowdays. 5 years ago yamaha was the only name in subs under $200 imho. all the other under $200 subs back then were "one note johnny's". the yamaha was actually somewhat musical.

music_man

Aug 12, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #180 of 473
uh, i just read the entire thread at diyaudio.

having wilsons and apogees to listen to, maybe i'll just get a couple of cd's lol.

still, for 50 bux that is kind of amazing. so why don't the chinese make some $500 wilson wamm's
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: i wanted to add a thought to this and not hijack the thread with three posts in a row.

at least three parties are making a profit on these. they have sold for $35.
they look fancy. now that i have seen them apart they are not fancy at all.
they are a lot of product even at $50. probably better than any other $50 pair. sometimes a whole is more than the sum of it's parts so i will go listen today hopefully. who knows? you know i am not the party pooper, but this is pushing it. by the time you are done modding(count your labor for something you deserve it) $300 speakers(pair) if choosen wisely should stomp these. that might look like it came from bw,jm,mk but looks can be deceiving.

oh shux, i gotta go listen....

music_man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back