$23 speakers at Best Buy that measure well and sound good
Jun 24, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #91 of 473
bought a pair for father's day and was impressed with the "open the box" impression. They do look really nice. It amazes me what some WBT binding posts cost as much as this entire speaker.

Listened to them in FAR from optimal condition (30 feet apart against walls with a POS sony HT receiver). They definitely have an "open" quality...and for the nice looks and 35 dollar price, that's all they really need to do for me.

I just bought another pair. I'll put them in the office.

Jun 24, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #92 of 473
I'm on the bandwagon now as well. Bought them at $35 in-store (price-matched online, as another poster mentioned). NH store, no sales tax
icon10.gif

Out of the box, they are OK. I also heard the fat midbass, boxy/congested mids. But have been driving them a few hours and already I think I hear some of the congestion moving away (or maybe I'm just getting used to it!
rolleyes.gif
). They should be nice for a fun DIY mod I imagine (crossover, cabinet bracing).

They are indeed open sounding, though, and do have a nice center fill.....definitely up in the > $100 sound IMO.

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #93 of 473
Picket mine up today. They are big and heavy. Clearly, the price per pound is VERY low. I imagined they'd be smaller. Also, binding posts are nice. I've hooked them up to an old Sony stereo receiver. They sound ok. I'll have to hook them up to some better components to really compare them.

Jun 24, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #95 of 473
I'm about to pounce on these.. but I am wondering if these would work well as computer speakers as well or if I should maybe go for a cheap 5.1 system..

Jun 24, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #96 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
[size=medium]As of Friday morning (at 4:30 am), the Insignia 6.5s are $35!!![/size]

[size=xx-small]Sorry for shouting...you can all go back to bed now...[/size]

OH MY OH MY! Now I have to go back and buy them and put 'em under the bed, or something, 'til I figure where to put 'em!

Those little suckers are heavy. No free shipping at that price, so it's $10-15 for a taxi in midtown traffic. The extra $10 discount will pay for that.
tongue.gif

Now where can I find a Super T Amp on sale for $35?
k1000smile.gif

Jun 24, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #97 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaftedTwice
I'm about to pounce on these.. but I am wondering if these would work well as computer speakers as well or if I should maybe go for a cheap 5.1 system..

They're not powered speakers ... but the T-Amp........

Jun 24, 2006 at 10:12 AM Post #98 of 473
which to use? T-amp? NAD 320BEE or other nice cheap good sounding integrated amp?

Jun 24, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #100 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
Sure. 90% of what comes out of a center channel is dialog, anyway.

All center channels are really good for is centering the dialog to the monitor for people watching off-axis. If you're room isn't wide enough that people are watching off-axis, you don't need one. If your mains image well enough (and imaging is the one area in which the Insignias truly excel) they will create a "phantom center" that surpasses any center channel speaker made.

Plus, if you know anything about baffle-step correction circuits, the horizontal "under the TV" form factor of center channel speakers almost guarantees that none are truly timbre-matched to the mains they are sold with.
evil_smiley.gif

That's a good point. Depends more on your TV than anything else, but there's another argument for phantom center.

i disagree. the keystone of a good ht speaker system is the center speaker. not just dialog, but a good percentage of the soundtrack (music, sound effects, etc.) are routed to the center. usually the front mains are placed on either side of the tv, which can break up the phantom center image.

anyone building a ht should at least give having a center speaker a try. i doubt you'll return it to the store.

Jun 24, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #101 of 473
I got a pair for my wife to use in her classroom. An ordinary boombox will seriously compromise classical music. Also got the Insignia 200w receiver for $80.00 (open box) although theye were only $102.00 unopened. Like others am amazed at the quality features, the weight, the binding posts and frankly the sound. It's a great entry-level system.

Jun 24, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #103 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
Got them this morning. It didnt come with any wire or plugs, so i had to go to ratshack to buy some speaker cable and banana plugs. An hour later and im listening to them now through the t-amp. It sounds pretty good especially for the price. Will it beat $200-300 dollar speakers? I dont think so, but it does exceed my expectations considering they were only a measely 50 bux. The T-Amp does a fabulous job of driving them btw and i only have the volume at around 9am and its approaching loudness. At first listen, its a lil bass heavy, mids sound a little hollowy, and highs a lil strident. Hopefully this will change after some more burn-in. For the price though, i cant complain. Mods on this thing will be pretty fun
icon10.gif

dscn00956kx.jpg

I have almost the opposite reaction from yours. then again I bought a NAD320BEE after comparing it with T-amp. Under NAD, the mids is really nice and full, the bass is not quite solid yet, and high is a little Grado like (before burn-in). So i expect all to improve after some burn-in.

LMAO..I must be crazy..$400 amp with $37 speaker....OUCH! damn you headfi!

Jun 25, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #105 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
I'm thinking about getting this center channel speaker from Bic America. According to other reviews, their center channel speakers can balance well with other bookshelves. I may give it a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

I don't see why you would get that center. Just pick up another pair of the Insignias and use one of them as a center. (Or 2 pairs and setup 6.1 surround.) That way, you won't have to worry about voice matching, and I would bet that the Insignias are better than the center speaker you linked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back