$23 speakers at Best Buy that measure well and sound good
Jun 21, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #76 of 473
Another nice feature that no one has mentioned is that the package included handsome black rubber feet that you can stick on at the bottom of the speakers at your free will.

Jun 22, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #77 of 473
anyone have a recomendation for a center channel speaker that matches up well with these?

Jun 22, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #78 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
anyone have a recomendation for a center channel speaker that matches up well with these?

I'd just get another pair of the Insignias. There's no better way to timbre-match your center channel, as long as you can fit it over/under/in front of your TV. Use the extra one as a rear center (if your system support 6.1) or sell it.

Jun 22, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #79 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
I'd just get another pair of the Insignias. There's no better way to timbre-match your center channel, as long as you can fit it over/under/in front of your TV. Use the extra one as a rear center (if your system support 6.1) or sell it.

Will I be able to get the full effect of center channel that way? Usually center channel speakers have 2 woofers side by side, while these insignias have just one.

Edit: I don't think these are magnetically shielded, so as a center channel speaker, it could be a problem but I'm not sure.

Jun 22, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #80 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
Will I be able to get the full effect of center channel that way?

Sure. 90% of what comes out of a center channel is dialog, anyway.

All center channels are really good for is centering the dialog to the monitor for people watching off-axis. If you're room isn't wide enough that people are watching off-axis, you don't need one. If your mains image well enough (and imaging is the one area in which the Insignias truly excel) they will create a "phantom center" that surpasses any center channel speaker made.

Plus, if you know anything about baffle-step correction circuits, the horizontal "under the TV" form factor of center channel speakers almost guarantees that none are truly timbre-matched to the mains they are sold with.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
Edit: I don't think these are magnetically shielded, so as a center channel speaker, it could be a problem but I'm not sure.

That's a good point. Depends more on your TV than anything else, but there's another argument for phantom center.

Jun 22, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #81 of 473
So what's the weight of the box these are sold in? I want to calculate shipping and see how much it would be to cover it and have somebody in the US send me a pair
frown.gif
.. come on, help out the canucks who don't get any cool sales.

Jun 22, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #82 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
So what's the weight of the box these are sold in? I want to calculate shipping and see how much it would be to cover it and have somebody in the US send me a pair
frown.gif
.. come on, help out the canucks who don't get any cool sales.

As an alternative there's ShopTheStates.com

Jun 22, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #83 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewpy
As an alternative there's ShopTheStates.com

I'de rather just deal with somebody on head-fi, thanks.

Jun 23, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #86 of 473
Good call Clarke68. I've been checking every day waiting for the price to drop! I jumped today - ordered on-line for local pickup. Apparently, they are in stock in my local store. Will probably pick them up this evening. Under $40 per pair with tax.

Jun 23, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #87 of 473
Quote:

[size=medium]As of Friday morning (at 4:30 am), the Insignia 6.5s are $35!!![/size]

[size=xx-small]Sorry for shouting...you can all go back to bed now...[/size]

[size=x-large]OMG[/size] I am buying myself 2 pairs!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 23, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #88 of 473
Quote:

[size=medium]As of Friday morning (at 4:30 am), the Insignia 6.5s are $35!!![/size]

[size=xx-small]Sorry for shouting...you can all go back to bed now...[/size]

Yep, $35 a pair during Best Buy's "Special 2-day Sale. I bought a pair last week for fulll price, and Best buy will refund me the difference since it's within 30 days of purchase. Not bad.

Oh, and I bought a second set, showed a friend and he bought a pair too.

Get em while they're hot (and cheap).

Jun 24, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #89 of 473
$37.01 out the door. It's an online special only,but they price match it for you. It's about a dollar a pound. They seem real substantial and really look good. It will be to fun start burning them tomorrow with my super t-amp and HD extention cord speaker wire. I am not cheap.....I am not cheap...I am not.......
icon10.gif

Jun 24, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #90 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbackk
$37.01 out the door. It's an online special only,but they price match it for you. It's about a dollar a pound. They seem real substantial and really look good. It will be to fun start burning them tomorrow with my super t-amp and HD extention cord speaker wire. I am not cheap.....I am not cheap...I am not.......
icon10.gif

I believe the word is "frugal". And good for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back