[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
May 15, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #3,842 of 7,442
monk/+ sounded compressed on the iphone.....
but quite energetic on the ipads :)

( did a simple test with a non audiophile fren ...using his iphone n ipad )

May 15, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #3,844 of 7,442
  monk/+ sounded compressed on the iphone.....
but quite energetic on the ipads :)

( did a simple test with a non audiophile fren ...using his iphone n ipad )

Player apps like Onkyo HP improve upon the SQ in my iPhone 6...also allows for FLAC playback. iTunes leaves a lot to be desired.
redface.gif

May 15, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #3,845 of 7,442
sooner or later Foobar2000 will come out for iOS, till then ill stream ...
btw, i prefer sound of iphone6 over samsung galaxy 6 and few other flagships of other brands...
same as i prefer sound on macbook over other laptops ....

im not into portable setups, wen I'm on the go it has to be light and simple....n once I'm home , then in darkness and silence , i power up my home system, and in the glowing lights of my high end gear i put legs on my coffee table, throw off my socks on the lamp , drink vodka with orange juice and listen to Backstreet boys...

Since i can't do all that stuff outside, its not worth the hustle ...

May 15, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #3,848 of 7,442
I made DIY ohm adapter from 100ohm metal film resistors. Mostly for volume dropping purpose, because my new dap AGPTEK IMP doesn't have enough volume steps for earbud/iems like Monk+ to get my preferred volume levels. Volume range is from 0 to 50 and Monk+ were nice either at 9 or 10. Many times 9 wasn't enough and 10 was too loud, of course that was case only on loud masters. Now with 100ohm resistor adapter I have to raise volume about 4 steps and volume control is now more subtle and more suitable for Monks, and other lower impedance iems/buds. I feel that sound may be a bit cleaner with adapter but if so, change is subtle and hard to notice. More important thing is that now I get exactly my preferred listening volume.

May 15, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #3,849 of 7,442
May 15, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #3,850 of 7,442
That review had too much text and too little insight.
I think text on Monk black plastic bag had more insight on what Monk sounds like than that review ...

May 15, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #3,851 of 7,442
Im serious...

Lets take a book as an example?

Many writers, when write a book , have a good story , and a slow-burn characters, in order to build up a relationship between characters and a reader. Only after relationship between reader and books characters is established, thats when stuff that happen in a book start to mean something.  If you don't care for main character , it doesn't matter how exciting story is and how colorful its written...

So writer has to "paint" a psychological profile of a main character so you as a reader could feel like you actually met that person , thats where most writers fail ..

Same with review of audio gear , whats the point of going thru all the data , FR and such stuff if you haven't "painted" a Sonic Character of audio gear you reviewing  by using some analogies , gotta be creative about it.

Long time ago i read a post by some asian girl who described sonic character of beyerdynamic t5p in few words but it was so insightful i could get a clear picture of what it sounds like , she managed to use very colorful analogies and she was very creative with it , without using many words ...  the only thing that gave me a better perception of what t5p sounds like was actually listening to t5p.

most of reviews are dry and boring because they lack insight , and they lack insight because the person who wrote a review either didn't experienced anything special during listening , or couldn't express it with words.

Either way , not worth reading , in my opinon ...

May 15, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #3,854 of 7,442
  Monk Plus review posted - http://www.head-fi.org/products/venture-electronics-ve-monk-monk-plus/reviews/15998

Thanks! This is just what I needed, especially the graph and your suggested eq tweaks. I've loved the monks from the start but had a hard time with certain frequencies, and didn't know which ones they were.  My ears aren't good enough to know "geez, everything around 62hz is really bothering me, I need to dial that freq down". I'll end up with something different from your tweaks, but it's a good starting point. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back