[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
May 14, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #3,812 of 7,442
Very nice @brooko! However, won't your software align them at 1k? That pretty standard and makes it easier to compare the FR graphs.
beerchug.gif

Have a closer look at the top line Nic - that is all 3 overlaid one on top of the other.  The bottom two lines show the curves with no volume matching - just so people can see the actual measurements.

It's actually cool that you saw the curves as one line - it shows how closely they match.

May 14, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #3,813 of 7,442
Ric - same challenge.  If I can find someone to set up a test - will you take it?  All I ask is that both of you publicly state on the forum that you were wrong after I've shown that you can't tell the difference.  BTW - what did you use to volume match when you compared?

Note - I am talking about Monk Plus here - not the Etys

Spot on Brooko, and excellent scientific sound test, isolating one variable. Well done. Thank you and cheers.

May 14, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #3,814 of 7,442
Have a closer look at the top line Nic - that is all 3 overlaid one on top of the other.  The bottom two lines show the curves with no volume matching - just so people can see the actual measurements.

It's actually cool that you saw the curves as one line - it shows how closely they match.

Looking on my iPhone, lol. Yes, FR curves matched so perfectly and screen is so small I couldn't tell there were even three lines there!
:beerchug:

May 15, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #3,816 of 7,442
Wow thanks for clearing this up. 
I bought it last week too, at least I can look extra fancy using an adapter :D.

May 15, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #3,817 of 7,442
  the increased ohmage will first force u to turn up the power to reach your listening vol...
the two counterforce of increased current n resistance puts the disphragm at a higher tensed state..

This (the higher tensed state of the diaphragm) could explain why my monks started to distort a few days ago. While I very much enjoy the sound with the bocur adapter (in real world everyday listening), I now think that in the long run it could be a bit risky to put the monks under such "stress". Let´s see how long my second pair of monks will last..... 

May 15, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #3,818 of 7,442
Monk Plus review posted - http://www.head-fi.org/products/venture-electronics-ve-monk-monk-plus/reviews/15998

May 15, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #3,819 of 7,442
Out of curiosity I'll order a 75 ohm Dunu adapter and hear it for myself. Maybe you are right and that adapter will only decrease the sound. :rolleyes:

May 15, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #3,820 of 7,442
Any impedance adaptor will - it's simply increasing impedance.  No magic involved 
wink.gif

Don't worry - it is easy for the brain to trick us into "apparently hearing" what we want to hear. And if you haven't been volume matching your skewing the results right from the start.  I've lost count of the number of times I've adjusted EQ to get things "just right" - then found out I didn't even have the EQ turned on.  It just means I'm human. No shame in that.

May 15, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #3,821 of 7,442
  Any impedance adaptor will - it's simply increasing impedance.  No magic involved 
wink.gif

Don't worry - it is easy for the brain to trick us into "apparently hearing" what we want to hear. And if you haven't been volume matching your skewing the results right from the start.  I've lost count of the number of times I've adjusted EQ to get things "just right" - then found out I didn't even have the EQ turned on.  It just means I'm human. No shame in that.

ok so I perceive wrongly
eek.gif
with a handful of headfiers too
basshead.gif

but brooko whats your take on er4pt to er4s if your reasoning holds true? surely this logic applies to all iems

beerchug.gif

May 15, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #3,822 of 7,442
  ok so I perceive wrongly 
eek.gif
 with a handful of headfiers too 
basshead.gif

but brooko whats your take on er4pt to er4s if your reasoning holds true? surely this logic applies to all iems
beerchug.gif

Did you actually read and follow the links I put up to Innerfidelity's measurements of the Etys, and the difference in impedance curves as opposed to frequency curves?  It's pretty basic audio understanding.  Here - I'll requote to save you looking:

Lets look at the Etys.  If you check Tyll's graph of phase and impedance (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EtymoticER4PT.pdf) you'll note that the Ety's have big changes in the impedance curve from about 1 kHz onward. What this means is that if you change impedance, the frequency curve will change dramatically - ergo they will sound different.

The Monk Plus on the other hand has a very flat impedance curve.  Tyll hasn't measured them - but he has measured the VE Duke so I can show you that (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VentureElectronicsDuke.pdf).  Notice how the impedance curve (3rd graph) is virtually flat. If you have the Duke - put an imepdance adaptor on that and volume match.  There should be very little difference in that either (other than volume).

In both cases it is the third graph.  Have a look at the actual impedance curve.  The Ety has some big changes - the Monk (or in this case the Duke) is flat.  Therefore adding impedance doesn't change the frequency response.  Adding impedance to the Etys curve drastically changes the frequency response though - that is why it sounds different.

To put it in a really simple way - we're talking about two fruits - and apple and an orange. They have similar traits - but you're expecting them to taste the same simply because you're using the same knife to cut them.  Doesn't work like that Ric.  If you still don't get it - let me know and I'll try and point it out another way.

May 15, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #3,823 of 7,442

Did you actually read and follow the links I put up to Innerfidelity's measurements of the Etys, and the difference in impedance curves as opposed to frequency curves?  It's pretty basic audio understanding.  Here - I'll requote to save you looking:

In both cases it is the third graph.  Have a look at the actual impedance curve.  The Ety has some big changes - the Monk (or in this case the Duke) is flat.  Therefore adding impedance doesn't change the frequency response.  Adding impedance to the Etys curve drastically changes the frequency response though - that is why it sounds different.

To put it in a really simple way - we're talking about two fruits - and apple and an orange. They have similar traits - but you're expecting them to taste the same simply because you're using the same knife to cut them.  Doesn't work like that Ric.  If you still don't get it - let me know and I'll try and point it out another way.

ok fair enough mate! thanks for the heads-up. looks like i need to adjust my perception
eek.gif

cheers.
beerchug.gif

May 15, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #3,824 of 7,442
And if you guys want any more evidence of whether I'm right or not - check the post I originally made about it in the other generic VE thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/759219/ve-a-new-and-impressive-earbuds-brand/3240#post_12579603

If you have a look at the rep given to the post - one of them is Lee.  He wouldn't be doing that if the information is incorrect.

Honestly - I think we've exhausted this topic now. How about if I don't harp on about it any more - and you guys stop recommending using the impedance adaptor to others coming into the thread?

May 15, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #3,825 of 7,442
  And if you guys want any more evidence of whether I'm right or not - check the post I originally made about it in the other generic VE thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/759219/ve-a-new-and-impressive-earbuds-brand/3240#post_12579603

If you have a look at the rep given to the post - one of them is Lee.  He wouldn't be doing that if the information is incorrect.

Honestly - I think we've exhausted this topic now. How about if I don't harp on about it any more - and you guys stop recommending using the impedance adaptor to others coming into the thread?

thanks for your work brooko! it seems funny how quite a number of us perceive differently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back