2015 - Sony PHA - 1A Portable Hi-Res DAC/Headphone Amplifier
Apr 30, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #121 of 430
  Just got mine from Sony yesterday
More accurate sound probably from less jitter (step up from my isosynchronous usb 1.1 24bit/96khz onkyo se-u55sx)
Tend to play on a louder volume than before (either the sound is less painful or I need to raise volume to hear all the dynamic range)
Device gets warm at mid volume (set @normal, 2o'clock for car audio and home audio use. For my 18ohm headphones, barely above 9 o'clock)

One annoying thing: left / right balance doesn't seem to be matched at low volume
Set at On position, sound "leaks" (not silent) and doesn't increase in volume for some steps
Then it starts to get louder on left first and need to raise more for right side to catch up

I'm thinking of returning it because of this unbalance @ comfortable listening level with my headphones (cheap potentiometer?)
Beware if your headphones are 16ohm or less...

What was it you just got from Sony?  Is it the PHA-1A?  Thanks!

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #122 of 430
How good is this with classical usic from the periods of classica, romantic, baroque ?

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #123 of 430
What was it you just got from Sony?  Is it the PHA-1A?  Thanks!

Yep, Pre ordered from Sony online store.
Funny thing is my active speaker volume knob does the same thing
Left first then right side catches up
It wasn't a problem since I could adjust my computer volume.
Now I'm using pha1a with xperia z3v with high-res audio turned on Walkman app. The app disables volume control (set at max)
Probably for bit perfect transfer to DAC in pha1a

May 2, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #124 of 430
Can one triple stack a iDevice or Sony A10, with this PHA-1A and a portable battery pack?

May 2, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #127 of 430
  So I've been listening to PHA-1A for about 4 days now
Here's my impression on it (all on normal gain setting):

Sony brings music in high-res, but not as colorful or tasteful as good old Hi-Fi.

The upscaling technology from CDs to Studio quality is real.
I can hear "background detail" more clearly. Almost too much so than what it's intended by mastering engineer.

To me, these "details" are not supposed to be identified but blend in with the main sounds to create harmony.
Some will love the extra detail of an orchestra or live band playing real instruments,
but for the synthesized music of this generation, it reveals too much, bringing background sounds to front.

This is High-Res in Black and white. In fact, music should be enjoyable, natural, and stress-free.
Shooting high of female vocal gives me goose bumps, but followed by dull repetitive mix of fake instruments.
It reminds me of bad Computer Graphics in the 90's

24bit/192kHz is comparable to 4K Resolution and 240Hz refresh rates of latest display technology:
Crisp and clear picture, combined smooth motion to mimic real life.
However, color reproduction making all the details come to life are suffered, for this low-end of latest technology.

Will I go back to Onkyo SE-U55SX? Not for now, not until I really miss the color of music and the taste of
various instruments coming to life
I'm sticking to PHA-1A to discover subtle details and new enjoyable aspects of music.

Nice kind of DSEE HX for the walkmans, but here in the walkman seems too artifical upsampling, didn't like it with classical music

May 5, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #128 of 430
^^^^^^^^^

Would it be fair to characterize it as being analytical and not musical? I can only speak in non-technical terms. To me it doesn't sound musical. I blame some of that on my earphones but....

There are, however, some things that do sound good. Whether or not to keep this thing is a bit of a dilemma. I like size of the NWZ-A17 / PHA-1A package.

May 5, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #129 of 430
^^^^^^^^^

Would it be fair to characterize it as being analytical and not musical? I can only speak in non-technical terms. To me it doesn't sound musical. I blame some of that on my earphones but....

There are, however, some things that do sound good. Whether or not to keep this thing is a bit of a dilemma. I like size of the NWZ-A17 / PHA-1A package.

The oppo HA-2 is another slim looking amp/DAC

May 5, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #130 of 430
The oppo HA-2 is another slim looking amp/DAC

I was hesitant to deal with adapting the connection to the A17. I also heard that the leather was bonded to the case and wondered if that would work for me.

May 7, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #135 of 430
I would definitely get the PHA-1A.  It has pretty much the same dimensions as the iPod Classic and sounds great with it (I have this combination).  The PHA-1 is bigger, heavier, older, more expensive and doesn't sound any better.

I have the PHA-1, and earlier on this thread I showed a table of specs of the PHA-1, the PHA-1A, and many others. In Short, the only advantage of the PHA-1 is its ability to deliver higher power into high impedance headphones, such as the Sennheiser HD 800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back