2015 - Sony PHA - 1A Portable Hi-Res DAC/Headphone Amplifier
May 13, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #153 of 430
That's because with ipod Classic it's only a line out. You need a dedicated docking transport to output pure digital like iWadia and such. (To bypass ipod internal dock you need to pay to Apple a special licence fee and need a special processing to activate it. And none Dac does that)

This is wrong.  Use a regular 30 pin connector from your iPod classic to the USB input of the Sony and you are getting a digital feed.

May 13, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #155 of 430

That's because with ipod Classic it's only a line out. You need a dedicated docking transport to output pure digital like iWadia and such. (To bypass ipod internal dock you need to pay to Apple a special licence fee and need a special processing to activate it. And none Dac does that)

This is wrong.  Use a regular 30 pin connector from your iPod classic to the USB input of the Sony and you are getting a digital feed.

I've read on apple's technical specs that the old 30-pin dock out puts analog signal capped at 24/48

In fact when they outed the Lightning connector apple said it was the first all-digital connection... so sonyvores is correct.

Don't kno0w it does analogue over USB... ask apple
blink.gif

May 13, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #156 of 430
How long did it take for you guys to burn in the PHA-1A? I had a second listening session today and I think the 1A is bright and harsh to my ears.

tomorrow my bank transfer me the money for my HA-2 i will buy on friday

May 14, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #157 of 430
guys , this is unboxing video for the PHA-1a ... it is in an asian language .... can any body tell me what  was wrought about the sound enhancements of the A-10 with the pha-1a in the minute 4:25 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3OQsB3PNhQ 

May 15, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #159 of 430
I'm sorry but the PHA-1A SQ is too piercing for my ears. Im hoping a little burn in time will make a difference, if not I have to return this.

Why don't you just return it? It doesn't matter if it is a defective unit or your personal preferences. If you aren't happy, just return it.

May 15, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #160 of 430
Why don't you just return it? It doesn't matter if it is a defective unit or your personal preferences. If you aren't happy, just return it.

I had ordered a replacement, hopefully this one will work out. The only problem I have with the PHA-1A is that the treble is too strong to my ears and I don't know the proper way to EQ my iPod classic and I have tried Treble Reducer but it lowers the volume of my songs. This dac and amp works really well with jazz, neo soul and some r&b but not for hip-hop. If the replacement isnt any better I'll try the Oppo HA-2 next.

May 15, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #161 of 430
I had ordered a replacement, hopefully this one will work out. The only problem I have with the PHA-1A is that the treble is too strong to my ears and I don't know the proper way to EQ my iPod classic and I have tried Treble Reducer but it lowers the volume of my songs. This dac and amp works really well with jazz, neo soul and some r&b but not for hip-hop. If the replacement isnt any better I'll try the Oppo HA-2 next.

i don't think that your first one was defective ! it is just its sound ! .. but lets wait and see 
interested to know what is your opinion for the second one and the oppo unit too ... but i heard that oppo is a bright dac-amp compo too but with bass boost 

May 15, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #162 of 430
i don't think that your first one was defective ! it is just its sound ! .. but lets wait and see 

interested to know what is your opinion for the second one and the oppo unit too ... but i heard that oppo is a bright dac-amp compo too but with bass boost 

Ah man I hope the Oppo HA-2 isn't bright :frowning2: ....I may have to go back to my JDS Labs C5, I love it's sound so much. Is the Sony PHA-1 a bright sounding amp?

May 15, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #165 of 430

I'll try the Oppo HA-2 next.

Don't know from where are you, but oppo states it can only be shipped to north american incl. canada & Mex. mine was bought yesterday and today shipped, estimates 3 to 15 business days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back