2015 - Sony PHA - 1A Portable Hi-Res DAC/Headphone Amplifier
Apr 6, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #61 of 430
Just got my mine today from e-earphone.  So far had no problem connect to iPhone 5s, 4s, iPod Classic, PC and Mac.  However I am having hard time to get it to work with Android devices like nw-z1070, Xperia Tablet S and Galaxy Player.  I think I need to get a OTG cable adapter.  If you have any suggestion please let me know.

Will share more sound impression after spending some more times with it.  

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #62 of 430

Just got my mine today from e-earphone.  So far had no problem connect to iPhone 5s, 4s, iPod Classic, PC and Mac.  However I am having hard time to get it to work with Android devices like nw-z1070, Xperia Tablet S and Galaxy Player.  I think I need to get a OTG cable adapter.  If you have any suggestion please let me know.

Will share more sound impression after spending some more times with it.  

I just ordered mine from Japan today in addition to PHA-3.

Wondering if it's a realy down grade in terms of SQ in comparison with a single end of the PHA-3.
(Balanced output will be at a much higher level by default. This is clear.)
How the WM8470 is competing with the ESS9018?

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #64 of 430
Quick update: So far no luck with any of my Android devices.  It turned out nw-z1070 does not support OTG so it is out of the picture.  I am getting frustrated looking for ways to connect Android devices so I think I will just buy a NW-A16 later.

Now back to music, so far this little DAC headphone amp has no issue driving ath-a900xltd, SE215 Special Edition, ath-im02 and Denon AHD2000.  The normal and high gain switch also works great.  I can hear the sound stage gets wider when switched to high gain but I usually stay in low gain since it gives me more detail.  Most of listening in last 10 hours have been with iPhone 4s and PC.  One thing for sure, it is a big upgrade from my laptop's headphone jack.

To qsk78 and FiJAAS, I never owned PHA-1 or PHA-3 so I cannot comment on the comparison.  My standard headphone amp is PicoPower which is a amazing device but without DAC.  To me, PHA-1A's headphone amp does not have the tightness and punchiness of PicoPower.  My plan is to use the 1A with my iPhone 4s and iPod classic on the go.

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #65 of 430
Quick update: So far no luck with any of my Android devices.  It turned out nw-z1070 does not support OTG so it is out of the picture.  I am getting frustrated looking for ways to connect Android devices so I think I will just buy a NW-A16 later.

Now back to music, so far this little DAC headphone amp has no issue driving ath-a900xltd, SE215 Special Edition, ath-im02 and Denon AHD2000.  The normal and high gain switch also works great.  I can hear the sound stage gets wider when switched to high gain but I usually stay in low gain since it gives me more detail.  Most of listening in last 10 hours have been with iPhone 4s and PC.  One thing for sure, it is a big upgrade from my laptop's headphone jack.

To qsk78 and FiJAAS, I never owned PHA-1 or PHA-3 so I cannot comment on the comparison.  My standard headphone amp is PicoPower which is a amazing device but without DAC.  To me, PHA-1A's headphone amp does not have the tightness and punchiness of PicoPower.  My plan is to use the 1A with my iPhone 4s and iPod classic on the go.

Thanks for the info. I read online that the PHA-1A did not have the punchiness of the PHA-1. I plan to use either one with my iPod Classic as well.

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #67 of 430
Hi ArchDragon, yes that's correct.  To me, the 1A is a very neutral sounding, not too excited but great for long time listening.  

If you are looking for a heavy bass listening experience then I will suggest getting a Sony MDR-XB900 which even straight through iPhone 5 can produce heavy bass with the right music of course.  XB900's bass is ridiculous but when pairing with 1A, the bass is actually well controlled and don't give me headache too quickly.  I hope this helps.

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #68 of 430
My headphone's SONY MDR-1A and V-MODA Crossfade M-100. In fact these two headphone have a lot of bass already. 

My favorite genre is rock/heavy metal so I think pha-1a doesn't match my style then. 

Thank for your information. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #69 of 430
I plan to get the PHA-1 or PHA-1A and pair with my iPod Classic with the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 OHM. I currently have the JDS Labs C5 on high gain with the highest level of bass this amp offers. I know neither of the PHA amps offer bass options but will I get the same satisfaction I get with the C5? Also I mostly listen to Hip-Hop and R&B with EQ set to off and let the amp handle the bass.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #70 of 430
I am trying to decide whether or not I should pair the NWZ-A17 with the PHA-1A or if the Oppo HA-2 would be a better sounding choice. I am not a bass head. The old Etymotic 4s is still my IEM of choice. Since I will be buying without the benefit of hearing the combination, whenever it is available I would appreciate whatever insight/opinions that can be offered on this setup.

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #71 of 430
  ......However I am having hard time to get it to work with Android devices like nw-z1070, Xperia Tablet S and Galaxy Player.  I think I need to get a OTG cable adapter.  If you have any suggestion please let me know...... 

Hi @Bu11dog
For NW-Z1070 it is not possible.

For Xperia Tablet S, you need this OTG specific Sony cable SGP-UC3

Then you can enjoy transport mode

hope that helps =)

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #72 of 430
  So If I want a DAC with a heavy bass impact I should not choose pha-1a right ? Maybe I will go to get creative sound blaster E5 then.

I would consider looking into getting a new headphones as well.  You want your source/amp to be as neutral as possible.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #75 of 430
@Sonyvores Thank you for the help.  Now I just need to get a SGPUC3 cable.  The only place has is Amazon Japan and it wants 4000 yen for just a short cable.  Well I will wait and look around to see if I can find better deal.

@No Deal Oppo HA-2 looks much better on paper compare to 1A so if you can wait, it will be a good idea.  Personally I was considering HA-2 but since I found a great deal for 1A in Japan, I decided to go for it.  So far I really love it.  

@FiJAAS I don't have both of your headphones so I cannot comment on them when pairing with 1A.  However, I do have ATH-A900XLTD and when pairing with 1A, it sounds clear, neutral and warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back