2015 - Sony PHA - 1A Portable Hi-Res DAC/Headphone Amplifier
Mar 4, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #47 of 430
wow, as someone said earlier, it does look like a love child that has the insides of the PHA-2 and the outside of PHA-3. That makes the current PHA-1 the red-headed step child that nobody wants?

Be very curious to see what the output impedance is for low and high gain. On PHA-2, the 10 ohm seems to be for high, have no idea what it is at low, but I'd guess around 3 Ohm.

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #50 of 430
So does that mean pha1/2 were overly priced, given this retails for $299 and the others for $499. If it is, can't believe they downgrade their previous 'inventions':smile:
wow, as someone said earlier, it does look like a love child that has the insides of the PHA-2 and the outside of PHA-3. That makes the current PHA-1 the red-headed step child that nobody wants?

Be very curious to see what the output impedance is for low and high gain. On PHA-2, the 10 ohm seems to be for high, have no idea what it is at low, but I'd guess around 3 Ohm.

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #51 of 430
So does that mean pha1/2 were overly priced, given this retails for $299 and the others for $499. If it is, can't believe they downgrade their previous 'inventions':smile:

Using purely pricing as a ranking, it seems Sony wants you to see the product line as follows (form low to high):

PHA-1A -> PHA-1 -> PHA-2 -> PHA-3

I could see where the 1A street price hits $250 or lower after a couple months from launch. I also don't think 1A is targeted at PHA-1 owners as an upgrade or side grade. I think Sony is targeting to two segments:

1) Pure portable crowd - current Sony DAC/Amps are not small and don't seem to play well with some low impedance IEMs. This is also the most price competitive segment.
2) PHA-2/PHA-3 owners who want another DAC/Amp with similar features/sound but in a more portable and (hopefully) IEM friendly package.

I am in the camp of #2 and if it turns out to be the case, I will probably buy one when price hits around $250. As I mentioned in another Sony post, my choice to go with Sony is mainly because of their reputation and my high confidence that they will have the best software/firmware support for the muddy future of Hi Res formats.

I just read the users manual and it seems to support my theory. There is no analog line out or in. Also, it seems that 1A model can charge while playing for better portability. I could see myself using this for my iPhone and Macbook.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #52 of 430
Not sure I understand why Sony makes an IOS compatible device and doesn't come with a lightning connector, but still stoked about hearing some impressions on this sleek looking piece of gear :)

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #53 of 430
Not sure I understand why Sony makes an IOS compatible device and doesn't come with a lightning connector, but still stoked about hearing some impressions on this sleek looking piece of gear
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not Sony it's Apple. If I was the CEO of Sony I would be pissed that I gotta pay licenses on the USB socket on the DAC and the lightning connector on the cable. I wouldn't want to be in the business of lightning cables. It's probably a decent chunk of money. Sony is basically saying if we don't like it, complain to Apple. That's why you get free USB cables. No license or royalty payments.

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #57 of 430
Also I wonder how this is in comparison to the Oppo HA2? They have have a lot of similarity's in function(different DACs)same price. I might be a little more partial to the Wolfson as I already have the DX90 which has dual sabre DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back