2015 - Sony PHA - 1A Portable Hi-Res DAC/Headphone Amplifier
Feb 20, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #35 of 430
What so you want from a portable quality amplifier with a DAC built in? How is this even an issue?

My apex glacier can get 10 hours with a smaller for factor too. Just for convenience I don't want have to recharge everytime I want to use it. I also have a cayin c5 which gets under 10 hours as just an amp which is still a little too low for my preferences.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #36 of 430
While I do understand the battery concerns, for some of us they may not matter as much as whether or not this thing sounds good enough to listen to. If it sounds terrible it won't matter to me how long the battery lasts. I won't want to listen to it anyway. Beyond that I only care if the battery will get me through my flight.

We all have to decide what is important to us.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #37 of 430
While I do understand the battery concerns, for some of us they may not matter as much as whether or not this thing sounds good enough to listen to. If it sounds terrible it won't matter to me how long the battery lasts. I won't want to listen to it anyway. Beyond that I only care if the battery will get me through my flight.

We all have to decide what is important to us.

Indeed, that's why I had the IMO in my post, for me battery life is a bit of a higher priority and 6 hours is just too short. I'd still love to have an audition of this but wasn't in the Tokyo Sony store when I went last and I'll be heading back to Australia soon so I doubt I'll get a chance. Pity!

Still, I did get to try out the pha-3 and zx2 which both sounded great. So if this is close you guys should definitely be happy with it.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #41 of 430
Okay. In that case, would it be redundant to have Sony A17 player to combo with Pha1a as both of them for dac each? Any benefit to Seserial link two DAC then?

The benefit is likely due to better amplification and slightly better DAC quality inside the PHA1A IMO.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #42 of 430
let me make my question clear then.

If one will use portable amp/dac like Pha-1a, there would be no benefit for player like A17 as one would get the same result if using cell as the player?

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #43 of 430
  let me make my question clear then.

If one will use portable amp/dac like Pha-1a, there would be no benefit for player like A17 as one would get the same result if using cell as the player?

Since you will be bypassing the DAC and amp on the A17 then any cellphone with hi-rez support should give you similar if not identical performance with the PHA-1A.  Of course, you will get the a17 for storage space, battery life, great UI, portability, and very good headphone output for IEMs.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #44 of 430
thank you Purk and Bark for your help.

It seems to me that if I am getting the Pha-1a, A17 is merely used as a storage and player and kind of waste for $300.

If I were to keep the A17 and go with the Fiio E12a, would that be a suitable combo as E12a is just a amp w/o DAC?  

As for the DAC on the A17 vs Pha-1a,  Pha-1a is much better spec-wise?

Thanks again.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #45 of 430
  thank you Purk and Bark for your help.

It seems to me that if I am getting the Pha-1a, A17 is merely used as a storage and player and kind of waste for $300.

If I were to keep the A17 and go with the Fiio E12a, would that be a suitable combo as E12a is just a amp w/o DAC?  

As for the DAC on the A17 vs Pha-1a,  Pha-1a is much better spec-wise?

Thanks again.

Without a proper audition it is difficult to say which will be the best option.  If you want a portable amp to go along with the A17, I would also take a serious look at a used Pico Slim as well.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back