2010 College Football Thread
Oct 4, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #166 of 928

Quote:

Absolutely not. I've read this story before - 561 yards of offense for the Cardinal. 

Holy crap, was it really?  I rescind my credit!

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #167 of 928

Speaking of Big 12, I've said it stinks but maybe I haven't give the North enough due? ISU walloped Tech. KSU has kept chugging along. Already mentioned CU is 3-1. Save one game, Mizzou has been coasting. The competition hasn't been stiff for sure. Yet maybe I've been too presumptuous. Maybe not, we'll see soon enough. 

You know, the Big 12 has more undefeated teams than any other conference. That has to mean something, right?

Anyhow, I'm very happy with OU's win against Texas, though Texas looked straight up bad on offense. At this rate, the longhorns will be lucky to get a holiday bowl bid.

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #169 of 928

Quote:
We'll see what the perception is. I never really figured out a way to accurately compare conferences. I don't like the bowl system and think quality non-con matchups are too far in between. 

I couldn't agree more.  Unfortunately, with the bowl system it further cuts back on high quality non-con matchups.  Unless a coach is supremely confident about where his team is going to be in the future most tend to avoid scheduling high quality matchups because a potential lose, in a game that isn't a necessity, could negatively affect bowl  while a high quality win won't mean much if a power player from the Big 12 goes undefeated regardless.  This is one of the reasons, I think, that the Big 12 doesn't get the respect some feel it deserves.  Look at the two major teams in our state, Oklahoma, and you'll see that they are both undefeated but it is also clear that their competition, so far, has been padded by teams that should be inferior.  Now when OU/OSU only squeeze by teams like Temple/Air Force, and they are the only undefeated teams in the Big 12 South, it makes the conference as a whole look bad.  Now the SEC, PAC, etc all do the same thing, but for some odd reason it doesn't have the same affect on their conferences' perception....I mean come on there are good things going on at CU, but their defeat of Georgia Tech didn't exactly send rumblings through the media that the SEC might be weak this year.

Oct 5, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #171 of 928
Quote:
Dude, with all due respect, Georgia is a 1-4 team. Excactly how big of a rumble is this mighty defaet supposed to send through the media

Yeah Georgia isn't exactly doing well this year and is at the bottom of the SEC food chain at the moment. I really hate that for Richt. If it had been a team a little more up the totem pole that would have got people talking.

I still hate the ending of that LSU game but there's not much that can be done about that (except watch Les squirm a little). The only big mistakes we really made were on the first and last play and that cost us the game. The bright side is Georgia is next week and by the looks of it we actually have a chance of pulling that one out.

Oct 5, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #173 of 928
Quote:
With the coach y'all got now things will be getting better sonn in Knoxville

I hope you're right. I really like Dooley so far and he seems like a great fit for our program. He's definitely got the guts to make the tough calls when it counts. Hopefully, we'll be competitive in the next couple of years as our mostly freshman team gets some more experience but we'll have to see how he handles recruiting.

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #174 of 928

Quote:
Dude, with all due respect, Georgia is a 1-4 team. Excactly how big of a rumble is this mighty defaet supposed to send through the media

Very true.  Bad example on my part, but then again I would be surprised if CU ends up with a winning season either.  I am just curiously rambling about the way conferences are sometimes unfairly rated.  Don't even get me started on teams like poor Boise State.

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #175 of 928
The Broncos just need to add a couple of more marquee out-of-conference matchups and they will be all set if they keep winning 
smile.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #176 of 928
basementdweller:
I couldn't agree more.  Unfortunately, with the bowl system it further cuts back on high quality non-con matchups.  Unless a coach is supremely confident about where his team is going to be in the future most tend to avoid scheduling high quality matchups because a potential lose, in a game that isn't a necessity, could negatively affect bowl  while a high quality win won't mean much if a power player from the Big 12 goes undefeated regardless.  This is one of the reasons, I think, that the Big 12 doesn't get the respect some feel it deserves. 

I'm with you on the first part and will have to think about the rest. Maybe it's because I'm a fan of the Sooners, but the Big 12 has received it share of respect to me. UT and OU have played in six total MNC games over the last ten years. There have been two Heisman trophy winners, plus at least six or more  finalists.. 08 was a really great year. If one does think it hasn't received enough due, then I blame the North. It has been bad lately. The South division I would hold up to any other conference's six team group. The N. though:..Colorado has been dreadful. Mid-decade on, Nebraska has underachieved. Kansas is Kansas, despite a few decent years from Mangino. Iowa State is Iowa State, and totally lost since McCarney left.. KSU is traditionally bad. Then Snyder came along. Then he retired. We'll see if the old guy can get it back. Missouri has been solid. Yet part of me wonders whether it was more to do with the power vacuum than the relative worth of their program.

I'm with some others that think the Big 12 doesn't have long, especially with the upcoming makeup, if another team doesn't go on an elite run. To me, the onus is on the Cowboys, Texas Tech, or the Aggies. All three programs have support and a solid recruiting base. Time for one to consistently step up as a top ten kind of program. For the health of the new Big 12, it just can't be Oklahoma and Texas every year. 

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #177 of 928
^^
We'll see what we can do for you!
wink.gif

Actually if we can get on a roll and get the game together we have a chance at making a top 10 run for the last 3 years. Sad fact but all of us around the Big 12 know how truly bad OSU has been in the past. We more than welcome the consistency, we have a big hill to climb to make it to the top and it won't happen over night but top 25 with a possibility of top 10 over the last few years is a very welcome change if you ask me.

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #179 of 928
I was surprised to see the announcement that the Big 12 was going to a 9-game conference schedule where all the teams will play each other.  The obvious inference there is that there will be no expansion back to 12 teams any time soon, and I think that's a mistake.  I would pick up Memphis and Houston ASAP if I were the B12, and get back to 12 teams, with a championship game.

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #180 of 928
Houston is already a Big 12 TV market, no reason to pick them up. We'd need something like Air Force (a really good idea, imo) with a Memphis or Arkansas kind of team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back