2010 College Football Thread
Oct 6, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #181 of 928
I don;t think Arkansas (or any other team) will leave the SEC.  Has to be a team from CUSA, MWC, WAC, or the like.  Air Force is a good idea though.

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #182 of 928
Boise State Broncos into the Big 12!

UCLA Bruins Fight Fight Fight Fight Fight Fight Fight Fight Fight !!!

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #183 of 928

Quote:
I don;t think Arkansas (or any other team) will leave the SEC.  Has to be a team from CUSA, MWC, WAC, or the like.  Air Force is a good idea though.

The only reason Ark wouldn't is because SEC pays better. Ark was part of the Big8 if you remember.

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #184 of 928
Hmm, Boise State and Air Force to make the Big 12 whole again.  I like the sound of that.

Until something like that happens, the irony of the Big 12 having 10 teams and the Big 10 having 12 teams is hee-larious.

Also, I really hope that Nebraska gets that rivalry series with Oklahoma.  Maybe we can cultivate a conference rivalry a la the Big Ten - ACC Challenge in basketball?

The only problem is that too many coaches don't want to risk an unnecessary loss to a non-conference team...

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #185 of 928

Quote:
The only reason Ark wouldn't is because SEC pays better. Ark was part of the Big8 if you remember.

Indeed, but you hit the nail on the head in terms of why I made the comment.

Quote:
Until something like that happens, the irony of the Big 12 having 10 teams and the Big 10 having 12 teams is hee-larious.

Yeah - this makes me laugh every thing I think about it.

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #186 of 928

Quote:

Yeah - this makes me laugh every thing I think about it.

Now I wonder if the Big Ten is going to figure out a way to fit a "2" in there like they do for the "1" in 11 now...

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #187 of 928
Maxvla:
Houston is already a Big 12 TV market, no reason to pick them up. We'd need something like Air Force (a really good idea, imo) with a Memphis or Arkansas kind of team.

Yeah, Houston is a horrible idea. I don't like Memphis or BSU either. The latter is a small school in a talent devoid state. What they do is remarkable, and long term, I don't think sustainable. There just aren't a lot of options that are realistic and make sense. Plus, the big dogs like the unequal revenue sharing, which further dims quality re-expansion chances.

Honestly, I'm pretty disgusted with the Big 12. To me, it's not progressive and stale. It could of been the first to began a tv network before anyone - nope. With that, even the t.v. contracts have been uninspiring. In so many areas, the thinking has been behind the curve. Just little things, like how other conferences have set league matchups early, then sandwich cupcakes in October and November. A good idea to elevate the league. The Big 12 gave it a cursory attempt with TTU/UT.  Really, I wish it would just implode. For one, I wanted the South minus Baylor to bolt for the a Pac 16. I thought that was a future thinking idea. Now, what happens next time another Big 12 team has a burr in its saddle? Will everyone be scrambling should this promised television money not come through.

Anyway, one idea I do like is BYU for several reasons. First, they're like a Notre Dame light, in that they have an installed fan base across the nation. Second and to expound on point one, they have a nationwide recruiting base. Finally, they have the cache. Quick, name the last non-BCS conference team to win a MNC? Yep, it was BYU. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #188 of 928
This is summer talk! There is football being played!

Anyhow, I'll go ahead and proclaim the theories to which I subscribe. Texas will go independent. And Texas AM will go to the SEC. OU and OSU will always be a package deal, so the SEC probably isn't a viable option for OU. I still think OU and OSU will end up in the pac10 before it's all said and done. I'd hazard that Kansas will end up there, too.

Super Conferences are inevitable, at least for the non-giant schools.

Also, I like KSU with the upset tonight.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #189 of 928

Quote:

I have lived in Arkansas for over 35 years and don't ever remember or even hearing of the Hogs being a part of the Big 8.  We used to be in the SWC (also known as the All Texas + Arkansas League as Viro will surely remember).  The SWC was dissolved when Arkansas went to SEC and Texas, A&M, TT, and Baylor went to Big 8 to form what is now big 12.  Rice, TCU, and SMU went to the WAC.  As far as Arkansas leaving the SEC goes it will never happen.  Why would we even consider such a foolish move. Money is not the only factor.  The SEC has a long tradition of winning and that tradition shows no signs of weakening.  If anyone were to even suggest us leaving the SEC, they would be ran out of the state.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #190 of 928
So, what is the appeal (as a fan) in a 16 team conference?  It really ceases to be one conference - more like two (over half the country) that happen to have a mutual championship game...

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #191 of 928

Quote:
Hmm, Boise State and Air Force to make the Big 12 whole again.  I like the sound of that.

Also, I really hope that Nebraska gets that rivalry series with Oklahoma.  Maybe we can cultivate a conference rivalry a la the Big Ten - ACC Challenge in basketball?

The only problem is that too many coaches don't want to risk an unnecessary loss to a non-conference team...

I really wouldn't understand Boise State being in the Big 12. It should be regional. That's like having 11 teams in 1 state then adding a team from mars as your 12th. Totally out of left field.

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #192 of 928

Quote:
I have lived in Arkansas for over 35 years and don't ever remember or even hearing of the Hogs being a part of the Big 8.  We used to be in the SWC (also known as the All Texas + Arkansas League as Viro will surely remember).  The SWC was dissolved when Arkansas went to SEC and Texas, A&M, TT, and Baylor went to Big 8 to form what is now big 12.  Rice, TCU, and SMU went to the WAC.  As far as Arkansas leaving the SEC goes it will never happen.  Why would we even consider such a foolish move. Money is not the only factor.  The SEC has a long tradition of winning and that tradition shows no signs of weakening.  If anyone were to even suggest us leaving the SEC, they would be ran out of the state.

You are right. I thought they were part of the Big 8 because I remember old OU - Ark rivalries and assumed they were. My mistake.

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #193 of 928

Quote:
I really wouldn't understand Boise State being in the Big 12. It should be regional. That's like having 11 teams in 1 state then adding a team from mars as your 12th. Totally out of left field.

Well, it makes more sense than having Texas and Oregon in the same conference...

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #194 of 928
JW:
This is summer talk! There is football being played!/-/Also, I like KSU with the upset tonight.

Agreed wise Sooner. Still, why talk about football when we can talk about conferences, or the BCS, or Les Miles, or Notre Dame or Erin Andrews! BTW, I was just over at this Les Miles quote site. The guy is a misunderstood genius,

Give me the Husks. I've watched KSU a couple of times, and think Nebraska will be a tough matchup. Also add the Nebraska bye week. However allow me to hedge. Like you, I was weary of the Cornhusker hype that preceded the season. I want to see this Husker team up close.  They've played nobody save a U-Dub team, that can't seem to beat anyone except USC. 

Yeah ronnie, I remember the SWC. My football baptism began right about when SMU received the death penalty. Arky was smart to bolt that cesspool.

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #195 of 928
I'm stuck at Newark airport and will probably miss the KSU-Nebraska game, which is a bummer, as I was really looking forward to it.  I'm calling for an upset.  KSU wins 24-21.

I was on a flight from Miami to Newark yesterday and they had the new live in-seat DirectTV, so I ended up watching parts of the 1995 and 2001 Michigan-Michigan State games.  Man there were some studs on both teams in both years - Charles Rogers, Herb Haygood, Tony Banks, Tim Biakabatuka, Brian Griese, Charles Woodson, Mercury Hayes...

In fact when I was reminded of how stacked that 1995 UM team was, it's a miracle that NU beat them that year.

Anyway, really looking forward to the UM-MSU game. 

And since our game with Purdue is a 6:30 kickoff, I will be doing the full 3 hour tailgate this week
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back