2010 College Football Thread
Sep 3, 2010 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 928

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
Seems we don't have a 2010 college football thread yet, so let's get one started.

Did anyone watch any of the games tonight?  I caught the last quarter and OT of the Utah v. Pitt game and loved the excitement at the end.  I don't follow either school, but I was happy to see a new Pac-10 member knock off a ranked opponent.

I paid close attention to the USC v. Hawaii game.  More than anything, I loved seeing Barkley step up and start making better plays.  He threw a lot of picks last year, but seemed to be cured of that tonight.  He showed a lot of poise and even tied a school record for passing TDs.  It also made me happy to see them spread the ball around to multiple people.  The playcalling last year was completely predictable and a lot of great players hardly got a chance.  It looks like Kiffin is smart enough to go with multiple attacks, which was enough to hang 49 points on Hawaii.  Though I'm not sure why so many two point conversions were called.

The defense seemed to fall apart in the second half.  Part of it is probably because they're fresh, but I also think it was significant that the defense spent almost the entire third quarter on the field.  They looked tired at the end.  Hopefully, some conditioning, coaching and the offense will give them some rest next weekend.

Anyhow, what did the rest of you think about today's games?  And let's keep this thread going though the rest of the season - it should be an exciting one!

Sep 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 928
Hi Erik!  I started off watching tOSU - Marshall, but that got ugly fast, so switched to Pitt - Utah, which was quite a game!  I'm not sure how Pitt got the pre-season #15, but they didn't deserve it!

The USC- Hawaii game was too late for me, though
redface.gif

I wish we had more than just Arizona - Toledo tonight, but Saturday is loaded with good games.  My Northwestern Wildcats play at Vanderbilt Sat night, which should be an interesting game.

Thank god CFB is back!!!

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 928
Didn't watch any of the games, mostly because there's part of me that didn't want to see the results of the USC-UH game.  I'm not an alum of UH, but I grew up there and followed a lot of UH sports as a kid...partly because there wasn't many other sports available to watch at the time. 
tongue_smile.gif

There's a pretty decent amount of excitement here for UW Husky fans as we expect the team to continue to rebuild and get better.  Too bad we can't watch the UW-BYU game unless we have some cable sports package because of TV contracts.

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 928

Quote:
 My Northwestern Wildcats play at Vanderbilt Sat night, which should be an interesting game.

Thank god CFB is back!!!

I think that game could get ugly.  Wildcats should have no problem with Vandy.  Now if we were talking players GPA's you might have contest there.  You should go to that game Skylab.  My daughter lives in Nashville.  Hell of a fun town.

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 928

Quote:
I think that game could get ugly.  Wildcats should have no problem with Vandy.  Now if we were talking players GPA's you might have contest there.  You should go to that game Skylab.  My daughter lives in Nashville.  Hell of a fun town.

I hope you're right about the score!  I actually grew up 90 minutes south of Nashville, so I know it well.  I saw the B-52's at Vanderbilt Auditorium in 1983.  Nashville is indeed a nice city.

What's the prognosis for your Hogs this year, RonnieLee?

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 928
well, it was much more of a nail-biter than I wanted, but we got the win, on the road against a SEC team, and I will take it.  We need to get more production out of our RB's, and we have some issues at left corner.  But we're 1-0, and our new QB went 19-21 for 222 and 3 TD and also ran for 82 yards.  Not a bad debut against a decent defense.

Other random thoughts:

North Dakota State 6, Kansas 3.  WOW

Jax St 49, Ole Miss 48.  WOW WOW WOW.

Two big FCS wins, against not just FBS but BCS conference schools.  Seems to happen every year now.

UNC would have beaten LSU by 2 TD's if they had played with the suspended players.

Is Texas really only 2 TD's better than Rice?  Is Florida really only 2 TD's better than Miami OH?

And why couldn't we have saved one or two good games for today????
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 928
 I wasn't part of the crowd last year calling for Lester's head, but I'm thinking of picking up a pitchfork and a torch this year.

It's time for a dedicated QB coach... at least.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 928
OU's play was very sloppy. Wasn't looking forward to a second season starting with a loss, but somehow we managed to hang on with an INT. Florida State next week.. almost don't want to watch.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 928
Oh yeah - forgot to comment on the near-upset by Utah State - that would have been quite the shocker!

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 928
Actually my father is a professor at The University of the South in Sewanee TN (although he just retired), and I grew up there. Sewanee was actually a founding member of the SEC, humorously enough, as it's all of 1,500 students. They left the SEC in the 1940's. They still play football, but Div III.

That game between Tulsa and ECU today was pretty entertaining!

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #13 of 928
 Maxvla:
OU's play was very sloppy. Wasn't looking forward to a second season starting with a loss, but somehow we managed to hang on with an INT. Florida State next week.. almost don't want to watch.

That's an understatement. Put a few cold ones in me, and I might remark of a more blue variety. Cliche time, but it all starts up front. When the hog eaters can't on either side push around Utah State , well with this schedule, I'm thinkin' five L's is pretty damn likely. My homre blood, will chalk it up to a bad day at the office.

--

It's another CF season and really I have nothing new to say that hasn't been said before. Here's a rundown of what you can expect from me::

LSU is the best looking team in CF. Seriously, they should never lose a game with those athletes. 

Don't forget the defenses! They deserve credit too.

To continue upon that, with all else neutral I pick the strong defense over the strong offense.

North Carolina and Miami have filled the stable. I say that every damn year. Now the national media have finally caught up to me. Leave it to Okie Davis to pick up the agent flu. Maybe, it's really Boo Blake. As us red dirter's like to say, "if you ain't cheating, you ain't tryin!'"

The NCAA should create a separate division for the SEC - the SECCS. I'm serious! Let some one else get a trophy. Hell, just take the SECCS and stick it in the AFC or some crap. Maybe that be competitive. 

* Just take which ever statement and apply it to the appropriate situation. I won't even need to post anymore.

--

Go Hokies!

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 928
Quote:
Actually my father is a professor at The University of the South in Sewanee TN (although he just retired), and I grew up there. Sewanee was actually a founding member of the SEC, humorously enough, as it's all of 1,500 students. They left the SEC in the 1940's. They still play football, but Div III.

I may have met your father when I went up there for a college visit a couple years back. They have a really beautiful campus up there.

I ended up at Tennessee though and football hasn't been very good for a while now. The UT Martin game gave me some hope for the season though it's not really a big test. We didn't make too many mistakes though. I'll be going to the Oregon game next week which should be interesting to say the least.

Florida looked really disappointing which is fine by me. I didn't see the whole game but I was expecting much more from them. They do have some good players though they don't look like they're clicking at the moment. They should be good if they can get everything worked out. Hopefully not before they play Tennessee.

Texas was also surprising. Rice held with them for quite a while and if they hadn't made so many errors may have been able to pressure Texas a little more. Texas did seem to get into the groove later in the game though Rice held them pretty well for the first half.

GO VOLS!!!

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 928
Quite an end to that LSU UNC game...Gamecocks fan here so I am looking forward to the USC Georgia game this weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back