2010 College Football Thread
Oct 2, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #151 of 928
Sooners pulled through despite a CRAZY 4th quarter. I'll take the win. 5-0 baby.

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #152 of 928
The Stanford-Oregon game is shaping up nicely despite Oregon's poor start.

Alabama is doing very well against Florida so far and have been able to dominate on offense and defense. I honestly expected more of a game but Alabama is looking extremely impressive.

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #153 of 928
Maxvla:
 I'll take the win. 5-0 baby.

From me you will never read one complaint about a Texas win.. It could be by a half of a point,  and I would be happy as a kitty. EDIT: BTW, do you realize it has been 6 years since OU was undefeated past Texas, In 07, there was the Colorado loss before. The rest were all defeats in Dallas. Think about that!

My wagon hooked up to Stanford was burned down. I thought the Cardinal could "contain" the Ducks. Well, Oregon gashed them. The Ducks are good, but I'm always last on the bandwagon. This year will be no different because of defense. I don't like that side of the ball for them..I had the same complaint for their good teams in 07 and last year. If the bowl system were different, I might feel different about them. As it is, I've said many times before that the long layoff is a disadvantage for offensive teams. 

In a big bowl game, there isn't one team I would pick to beat Bama right now. I would like to see them play another really proficient spread, quick passing team - think Utah from a couple years ago. .There are things in their secondary, that I think are exploitable. However, by their nature such spread passing attacks tend to be paired with a lighter, fast defenses, which the Tide would maul. I can't think of anyone right now. Still, more than half a season to go though. 

In hot seat news, Mark Richt's arse must be on fire! Georgia entered the year as a popular pick to win a depleted SEC east. So far, the Dawgs are 1-4 with the most recent loss at Colorado.

Speaking of Big 12, I've said it stinks but maybe I haven't give the North enough due? ISU walloped Tech. KSU has kept chugging along. Already mentioned CU is 3-1. Save one game, Mizzou has been coasting. The competition hasn't been stiff for sure. Yet maybe I've been too presumptuous. Maybe not, we'll see soon enough. 

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #154 of 928
Thursday night's KSU-Huskers game should be quite interesting.

MAN what a day yesterday.  First, Northwestern played it's worst game of the year by far, with turnovers and penalties, and managed to win anyway.  I will take a Big Ten road win no matter the final score.  I don't think we've been 5-0 since the Ara Parseghian years.  None of our Big Ten Title winning teams in 95,96, or 00 were 5-0.  And we get a BAD Purdue team at home this Saturday. 

I, too, really thought the Cardinal was going to win that game, and boy when they went up big early I was believing!  I never dreamed they wouldn't score in the second half.  Give the Ducks D credit.

And I really thought Wisco would take Sparty.  Nope.  That's a bit of a surprise.  I was flipping between that game and the Michigan-Indiana game.  Denard Robinson - that guy is amazing.  He doesn't even look like he's going very fast!  But no one seems to be able to catch him, so I guess he is.  Hoosiers are a scary looking team, though.  I'm not looking forward to playing them.  That said, Michigan isn't even the best team in the state of Michigan, I don't think.

I thought the Sooners looked pretty dominant.  I'm not sure what was up with the late Texas rally.  I was mostly watching the B10 games and the RRR was on one of my little TV's, but I caught a decent bit of it.  The OU - OSU game will be quite something.

And I felt SOOOOO bad for Tennessee.  Man - a walk-off GW TD due to final untimed down play due to a too many men penalty?  Never seen it.  Ouch.

Most of the prime-time games actually lacked much intrigue after a while.  Oregon-Stanford stayed close the longest, but I ended my football night by watching Washington knock off USC.  Biggest bummer for me is that the Oregon-Stanford game was only offered here on the ESPN2 SD channel due to that crappy team from South Bend being on ABC.  I thought Penn State was bad, and I was right. No way they are a top 25 team. I also was sure the Tide would win, but wasn't expecting that kind of domination.  Florida did NOT look like a top-10 team.  Or even top 20. 

Oct 3, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #155 of 928
Damn glad I don't make my living betting on college football. Was totally shocked by Bama/Fla fiasco. Just cheched the AP poll. No way in the world would I have believed that going into week 6 there would be 4 SEC West teams in top 25. Even more unbelievable is that they are all ahead of the Gators

Feel bad for Georgias coach. He can't catch a break this year. Can't believe Buff fans ran out on the feild after beating a 1-4 team.

Vols almost pulled off a big one. I really think they will be back up top of the SEC East soon with the coach they have. I think he showed he's got the balls for the job yesterday

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #156 of 928
Gotta say I'm excited for next week.  Undefeated #16 MSU at undefeated #17 UM?

It turns out that we (MSU) actually have real run defense, and an offense that can make smart, tough plays both on the ground and in the air against a good defense...

I look forward to seeing the best player in the country handles playing a real team - since UM doesn't look like much more than Denard Robinson and a couple of receivers.

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #157 of 928
Nice to see we cracked the USA Today top 25. Go u NU!

Anyone surprised that Oregon jumped over Boise State in both polls? I'm not. Knew it was coming as soon as the Ducks beat Stanford. And IMHO, as well they should have.

And yeah, that MSU - UM game is looming large!

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #158 of 928

Quote:
Nice to see we cracked the USA Today top 25. Go u NU!

Anyone surprised that Oregon jumped over Boise State in both polls? I'm not. Knew it was coming as soon as the Ducks beat Stanford. And IMHO, as well they should have.

And yeah, that MSU - UM game is looming large!

NU is looking to be pretty good - they just need to beat a good team convincingly!  : D

I'm not surprised about Oregon - I think they have more convincing wins over better teams than Boise State.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #159 of 928

NU is looking to be pretty good - they just need to beat a good team convincingly!  : D

<

Well, we will get our share of chances to try to. We play MSU and Iowa at home, and Wisconsin and Penn State on the road. We will need to win at least one of those if we're to go to a decent bowl. And we will have to win 2 of 3 against Purdue, Indiana, and Illinois. I can't see doing any better than that, which would be 8-4.

I'm still kinda PO'd about that LSU win. I did grow up in Tennessee...

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #160 of 928

Quote:
Well, we will get our share of chances to try to. We play MSU and Iowa at home, and Wisconsin and Penn State on the road. We will need to win at least one of those if we're to go to a decent bowl. And we will have to win 2 of 3 against Purdue, Indiana, and Illinois. I can't see doing any better than that, which would be 8-4.

I'm still kinda PO'd about that LSU win. I did grow up in Tennessee...

That's a pretty tough schedule - the two better teams at home - and two tough to beat on their turf teams.  I think NU ought to be able to pull it off against PSU - not sure about the rest of them.  I'd guess you'll beat Purdue and Illinois, losing to Indiana.  But who knows...

I think we (MSU) have the best chance to go undefeated that we've had since 1966...  (Knock on wood.)  The Michigan game will be a good one - but I don't think that Denard Robinson can make up for the UM defense sucking.  If I had to call it right now, I'd say MSU 41, UM 35.

That leaves at Iowa as our remaining biggest hurdle - we'll see how they handle UM and Wisconsin.  That's without a doubt our hardest game this season, and I'm not sure we can beat them at home.  But their defense isn't perfect - they haven't faced an offense as good as us (or UM) yet.

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #161 of 928
UCLA wins again for three in a row, go Bruins!

Oct 4, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #162 of 928

Quote:
That's a pretty tough schedule - the two better teams at home - and two tough to beat on their turf teams.  I think NU ought to be able to pull it off against PSU - not sure about the rest of them.  I'd guess you'll beat Purdue and Illinois, losing to Indiana.  But who knows...

I think we (MSU) have the best chance to go undefeated that we've had since 1966...  (Knock on wood.)  The Michigan game will be a good one - but I don't think that Denard Robinson can make up for the UM defense sucking.  If I had to call it right now, I'd say MSU 41, UM 35.

That leaves at Iowa as our remaining biggest hurdle - we'll see how they handle UM and Wisconsin.  That's without a doubt our hardest game this season, and I'm not sure we can beat them at home.  But their defense isn't perfect - they haven't faced an offense as good as us (or UM) yet.

You guys look to me, after beating the Badgers, like you can win the B10 if things fall your way, no doubt.  Like us, you have the good fortune of not playing Ohio State.  I don't think anyone should read much into the fact that tOSU struggled on the road at Illinois.  Illinois has given tOSU fits in recent years - I think its become a psychological thing for tOSU - maybe for both teams.  But the Buckeyes have to end the season vs PSU, @ Iowa, and vs UM.  And I don't think either you or they should underestimate UM's offense.  Robinson is a freak, but they have a lot of talent on that side of the ball.  If you want to beat UM this year, you are going to have to end the game with the ball.

Oct 4, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #163 of 928

Quote:
You guys look to me, after beating the Badgers, like you can win the B10 if things fall your way, no doubt.  Like us, you have the good fortune of not playing Ohio State.  I don't think anyone should read much into the fact that tOSU struggled on the road at Illinois.  Illinois has given tOSU fits in recent years - I think its become a psychological thing for tOSU - maybe for both teams.  But the Buckeyes have to end the season vs PSU, @ Iowa, and vs UM.  And I don't think either you or they should underestimate UM's offense.  Robinson is a freak, but they have a lot of talent on that side of the ball.  If you want to beat UM this year, you are going to have to end the game with the ball.

Honestly, his running ability isn't what scares me - it's his passing.  We have a very good run defense - headed off by the best linebacker core (and best linebacker - Greg Jones) in the Big Ten.  Our secondary on the other hand...  It can be like a sieve with a giant hole in it.

Of course, he'll still run all over the place - I just don't think it will be another 200 yard rushing game for him - maybe more like 100-150.

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #164 of 928
Robinson has 908 yards rushing, and he's leading the nation.  Oregon's LaMichael James is second with 712 yards.  I know MSU's LB's are awesome...but I would still be afraid of his feet.  Yes, he has also thrown for 1,000 yards, but if you make him a pocket passer, game over, UM loses.  Robinson is a running back who just happens to be a pretty good passer.  Michigan is basically in the "Wildcat" offense 100% of the time, but where the back can actually throw out of the formation.  It's scary, I tell you. 

No doubt MSU, PSU, Iowa all have much better defenses than Indiana.  It will be fun to see what kind of pace the small-ish Robinson can keep up without getting REALLY hurt (since he's had to come out of both of the last 2 games).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back