2010 College Football Thread
Oct 10, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #211 of 928
As we learned in the state of Oklahoma, he's most definitely a love him or hate him person. There is no middle ground.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #212 of 928
Argh. I'm grieving the past two weeks. Two games lost in the final seconds thanks to field goals.

Nothing against Washington or Stanford; they won. But to have it happen twice in a row hurts.

The good news is that the penalty situation is slightly improving and I was glad to see 'SC hang with Stanford the entire game. Barkley continues to improve. Iron out the penalties and get the defense to follow through with tackles, and they'll be pretty good.

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #213 of 928
Erik I really thought USC had pulled that game out - I was listening to it on the radio on the way back from our incredibly frustrating, inexcusable loss to Purdue. 

I never thought South Carolina could score 35 points in a single game.  I was watching UM-MSU at our tailgate - couldn't pull in the CBS station, unfortunately, or I would have switched at the end.  Impressive win by Sparty, too.

How bad is Penn State???  Wow.

And that Texas Tech onside kick debacle still has me laughing, but since they won, it's not as big a gaffe as it could have been.

Would have been a great day if NU had just won the freaking game.  Sheesh.  Beautiful weather, big, enthusiastic crowd - but it's hard to handle losing to such an inferior team, and due to our own mistakes.  We had more than 100 yards of TO, 10 more first downs (23 to 13), and held them to 47 yards passing.  But we muffed 2 punts and fumbled away a kickoff.  You can;t win and do that.

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #215 of 928
I'm glad I don't have to publish a poll this week. From the top down, I don't how I would rate them. Let's start with the de-facto top two. tOSU and UO whom will be bumped to the top spots most likely.

SOS to date for Ohio State: 86; Oregon: 110. I'm on record, that I don't like Oregon, as a legit national title contender, and do like Ohio State. Still, it's hard to say that either has been tested. If I had a vote, Boise State, TCU, Missouri, LSU, and Oklahoma (homer) would all be ranked higher. 

That's not how it works however. Humans are in love with helmets and perception. Thus tOSU will be your new number one, despite a so far very weak schedule.

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #216 of 928
Agree with you about UO. Will honestly hurl if BSU moves up. I still have a feeling that Auburn is going to be a big suprise. We have some tough ones coming up (Auburn next week) and LSU on black Friday. I honestly think we can handle LSU but Auburn worries me a little. Wow, just saw top 10 on ESPN. SEC still have 4 in top 10 with 3 coming from west

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #217 of 928

Quote:
Didn't know you meant Les Miles when you said Lester. I was also thrown off by your Cal congratulations. I thought Lester was some QB for Cal or something lol.

I wish Cal had a different QB... Riley was awful in the UCLA game... 9/16 for 83 yards, could have easily doubled that with three more BLOWN plays. He took a sack after almost ten seconds in the pocket on two separate plays, with WIDE ( and I mean WIDE) open men downfield. Now I can't really complain when Cal's D held UCLA to 26 yards of rushing, and just over 100 passing, but Kevin Riley is the one of the worst quarterbacks I have ever seen. I was shocked to hear about Bama, at the Cal game, they showed it on the big screen at some point in the first quarter, and the score as 21-0 SC. The whole stadium let out an "oooooohhhh". The Stanford USC game was apparently great, I'm sorry I missed it.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=302820025

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #220 of 928
Well, this weekend's match-up with the Buckeyes going to Camp Randall to face the Badgers looks large now not just over the Big Ten, but over all of College Football, since the Tide lost and the Bucks are #1.  After Wisco, tOSU will cruise until they go to Iowa City.  And while they should destroy Michigan IMO, in that game, you never know. 

At this point I think the odds of a tOSU - Oregon rematch, this time for the NC, is pretty high.  With Oregon having gotten by Stanford already, and with tOSU not playing Michigan State who looks like the B10's second best team to me, I think we're headed that way.

Although an Oklahoma - Boise State "rematch" isn't completely out of the question
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #221 of 928

Quote:
Well, this weekend's match-up with the Buckeyes going to Camp Randall to face the Badgers looks large now not just over the Big Ten, but over all of College Football, since the Tide lost and the Bucks are #1.  After Wisco, tOSU will cruise until they go to Iowa City.  And while they should destroy Michigan IMO, in that game, you never know. 

At this point I think the odds of a tOSU - Oregon rematch, this time for the NC, is pretty high.  With Oregon having gotten by Stanford already, and with tOSU not playing Michigan State who looks like the B10's second best team to me, I think we're headed that way.

Although an Oklahoma - Boise State "rematch" isn't completely out of the question
biggrin.gif

I think one thing is for sure - there is definitely the potential for this to become another BCS-buster year.  Of course from my perspective, the first thing that comes to mind is if somehow Michigan State and Ohio State both go undefeated...

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #222 of 928

Quote:
I think one thing is for sure - there is definitely the potential for this to become another BCS-buster year.  Of course from my perspective, the first thing that comes to mind is if somehow Michigan State and Ohio State both go undefeated...

If that happens, MSU is going to be on the outside looking in, unfortunately, due to no other reason that the fact that tOSU was ranked higher coming in.  Unfair to MSU, probably, but the reality nonetheless.

But I could see a scenario this year in which we get either Oklahoma or Nebraska undefeated, AND the winner of the LSU-Auburn game in 2 weeks undefeated, and neither can get past Ohio-State and Oregon.

In fact, there could very easily be the following matchups, in bowls, of undefeated teams:

NCG: Ohio State - Oregon
Other BCS Bowls with undefeated teams:

Auburn - Nebraska
Boise State - TCU
Utah - Michigan State

History has shown it doesn't usually work out that way - people tend to lose one.  But it could!

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #223 of 928

Quote:
If that happens, MSU is going to be on the outside looking in, unfortunately, due to no other reason that the fact that tOSU was ranked higher coming in.  Unfair to MSU, probably, but the reality nonetheless.

But I could see a scenario this year in which we get either Oklahoma or Nebraska undefeated, AND the winner of the LSU-Auburn game in 2 weeks undefeated, and neither can get past Ohio-State and Oregon.

In fact, there could very easily be the following matchups, in bowls, of undefeated teams:

Auburn - Nebraska
Boise State - TCU
Utah - Michigan State

History has shown it doesn't usually work out that way - people tend to lose one.  But it could!

I'm pretty sure that would make the BCS implode!  If both Ohio State and Michigan State go undefeated, the only way I can see them both making the NC game is if there aren't any other undefeated teams... Even then it's not likely.

I'd rather go to the Rose Bowl and see both teams win than have one beat the other in the NC game anyway.  Maybe it'd bring some respect back to the conference after the 2007 disaster.

I don't think Alabama is out of the race either - I think they have a good chance at winning out still. They've been exposed though, so unless only one team goes undefeated they certainly won't be making the NC game.

I'm still really worried about Iowa too.  They look good, and playing at their place gives them a big advantage - but then again, they haven't beaten any good teams yet.

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #224 of 928

Quote:

Auburn - Nebraska
Boise State - TCU
Utah - Michigan State

I think the Big 10 and Big 12 have the best shot at having undefeated teams at the end of the season.  IMO the SEC will not have an undefeated team.  I think LSU will squeak by Auburn and Arkansas will beat LSU (home game for Arkansas this year).

If Ohio State and MSU both are undefeated who would be the Big 10 Champion?  What is the tiebreaker plan.  Hope it is better than the one the Big 12 used.

Oct 11, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #225 of 928
If the records are identical both in conference and OOC (which for two undefeated teams it would be), I have no idea what the tiebreaker is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back