2010 College Football Thread
Jan 12, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #886 of 928
true, rob.
we might have held their running game in check all night, but one 80-yard pass play by thomas, and they were suddenly in striking distance.

thanks, in part, to the nice pick-job by the ref.  heehee 
biggrin.gif

anyway, kudos are due to oregon for having that ability to score quickly.  and kudos to them for stealing points where they could.
(the faked fourth down punt, the faked extra point attempt -- all those things worked and added up...)

i'm really fascinated by the mathematics of the game in general.  but this one was a nice example of that.
how two teams can arrive at 19 points through very different routes...

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #887 of 928
TheWuss:
And, I plug back into Head-Fi, only to find a bunch of blathering about turf conditions, dirty hits, poor officiating, and poor commentating.

Well.  I guess I shouldn't expect anything else.  And I certainly shouldn't expect a "well done, chaps" from anyone. 
rolleyes.gif

Hah, not in this thread! For myself, I said Auby was the better team and spoke of the D-Line a few pages back. Sorry it wasn't exultant enough. It goes both ways too. What have you said that is so great about other teams, other than an Oregon reach around?

To me, I would say the Tigers win about 8/10 times, maybe even more. 

Justin Uthadude:
I feel both teams lost first downs and scores from poor playing conditions on the turf.

Agreed, it is pitiful that they couldn't get better turf for a MNC game. 

SoupRKnowva:
all i have to stay is that im stoked to play LSU at cowboy stadium to start the season this year

Oooh, I forgot about that matchup. That will be a massive early top 5 collision. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #888 of 928
So - Cam Newton to the NFL.  No shock there.  My guess: Skeletons in the closet might be a little too close to the door...

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #889 of 928
Newton and Fairly could go 1-2 (or 2-1), ya think?

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #890 of 928
Nope. newton won't even be the first QB taken. Had he played another year, he might have been, and I am certain he was told this, and that's why I'm guessing he was worried about whether he would have been eligible for all of 2011 in making his decision.

Fairley on the other hand - top 3 pick for sure.

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #891 of 928
Hmm, I thought Newton had a chance with Luck out, this is an interesting take/latest mock draft:

"While I’m not entirely sold on his abilities translating to the professional level, there is no denying that teams are very interested in Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert.
With that in mind, here is how the top five will likely look if Carolina takes Gabbert with the No. 1 overall pick.

1. Carolina Panthers – Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

Assuming the Panthers decide to make Gabbert the ninth QB taken with the No. 1 overall pick in the last 11 years, it will be interesting to see what he’s able to do with his new offense. Considering the limited opportunities Jimmy Clausen had to turn this ship around, you have to wonder if Carolina management would simply make a move like this to start anew with a fresh face of the franchise even if he isn’t entirely necessary.

2. Denver Broncos / 3. Buffalo Bills – Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn and Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

Essentially, these two guys are interchangeable at the two and three spots. The Broncos desperately need to add some youth to their aging defense, and both of these players bring something fresh to table. On the year, Denver had a league-low sacks total and either one of these guys could go a long way in helping change that. The Bills, meanwhile, desperately need someone who they can plug in against the run. On the year, they allowed over 200 yards on the ground in eight games.

4. Cincinnati Bengals – A.J. Green, WR, Georgia

If the Bengals are able to get Green at this point in the draft, they will count their blessings. Terrell Owens and Twitter Dumber should be off the roster come next year, and Green will fit in nicely as a talented weapon for Carson Palmer to utilize.

5. Arizona Cardinals – Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

While I’m a big fan of Newton and his style, it’s important to acknowledge what a risky pick he’s seen as amongst many NFL scouts. Personally, I think he’s worthy of a No. 1 overall pick over Gabbert. However, that’s not the scenario being analyzed today. Newton is a good passer, athletic and a proven winner. If Tim Tebow is seen as a guy who could turn his team around, then there is no reason Newton can’t be recognized as an equally promising QB for a team in desperate need of someone to fill the void left behind by Kurt Warner."

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/2011-nfl-mock-draft-top-5-if-gabbert-goes-no-1

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #892 of 928
I just don't think Newton has shown enough to be worth the risk of a number one overall pick. tebow certainly wasn't the first QB taken last year. I also can't see the Panthers giving up on Clausen already, but I guess they might.

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #893 of 928
Have the Panthers already given up on Clausen? I wouldn't use a #1 on Cam. But he is going to wow in the workouts ala JaMarcus Russel. My vote goes for Fairly, as long as he doesn't prove in the interviews to be a total dipwad like Haynesworth or sumthin'. Also, there is Bowers. That guy is a freeeeeeeak, but apparently the Panthers don't need a DE. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #895 of 928

Quote:
Turnovers man, turnovers. 

Aaron Rodgers damn, Aaron Rodgers. That cat is good! Joe Buck might have a new man crush to replace Paul Rudd

I <3 Aaron Rodgers. That was my kind of football game, nothing too stressful...

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #896 of 928

Quote:
Quote:
Turnovers man, turnovers. 

Aaron Rodgers damn, Aaron Rodgers. That cat is good! Joe Buck might have a new man crush to replace Paul Rudd

I <3 Aaron Rodgers. That was my kind of football game, nothing too stressful...

Agreed
biggrin.gif
Can't believe we are a win away from the Superbowl.  Looking forward to the games tomorrow.

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #897 of 928
Wondering if Carroll's Seahawks have a chance tomorrow against da Bears, hopefully it will be a good one. The Jets OTOH have none IMO, they dug their grave when they publicly called out Brady and Belichick.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #898 of 928

Quote:
Agreed
biggrin.gif
Can't believe we are a win away from the Superbowl.  Looking forward to the games tomorrow.

Plus it's a game that we can win either way tomorrow goes. If we play like we did tonight, we cannot lose.

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #899 of 928
MAN I hope the Bears can take care of the Seahawks today - a Bears - Packers NFC title game would be BEYOND epic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back