2010 College Football Thread
Jan 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #856 of 928

There were no questions or blown calls in this year Head-Fi Bowl Pick‘em. The field was soundly whipped. The eventual champion surged early, then cemented his lead with a killer Dec. 30/31 run. He was the only one to pick U-Dub and Army, one of only two to check Notre Dame, and of a slight three to select South Florida. In 24 hours, that would be 4 gutsy, successful dog picks. How bad was this domination? He was even the closest to the NCG total!

So it is my pleasure to introduce:

J W

The 2010/11 Head-Fi Bowl Pick’em Champion!

For his well deserved award, I will buy him one ice cold Naty Light!

--

A few more kudos I”ll hand out.

Hot Start Trophy: TheWuss was on fire early, and he let us know about it but couldn’t find it in his heart to pick toward Saban.

Stones Trophy: J W for the previously mentioned upset picks.

Streaker Trophy: After a bad New Year’s Day, Skylab blistered toward the finish with 8 straight wins; easily the longest streak in this Pick’em.

The final tally:

1. J W – 24 (+2)
2 virometal – 21 (+17)
3. Skylab – 20 (+43)
4. ronnielee64 - 17 (+11)
5. TheWuss - 17 (+40)
6. grokit – 17 (+41)
7. Guidostrunk – 16 (+22)
8. SoupRKnowva – 16 (+60)
9. Napalmk – 15 (+32)
10. gopack87 – 15 (+42)

See a mistake? Let me know!

Thanks for playing gents. Near the bottom? There’s no shame in that. I’ve always held that Pick’ems are about 70/30 skill versus luck. Sometimes, the ball just doesn’t bounce your way.

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #857 of 928

Quote:
Skylab:
BTW: I was rooting for Oregon.

Me too. I was on the fence early, then Fairely reminded me what a tool he was. After that, it was all Ducks. Kelly is also such a fun coach to watch. The guy has stones. I love that. 

Did I mention their uni's were sweet? Yeah I know I did. The knee braces even had the day glo on them! I also loved the matching socks and shoes, reminded me of the look of those old school tape jobs back in the astro turf days. 

Another aside, I watched the first half in 3D. That was awesome. I know many scoff at 3D. But I'm telling you, sports fans should love that tech. 

Fairley is a THUG. After the NFL, he will probably be in prison.

The Uni's were garish.  I'm not sure whether Oregon was trying to scare Auburn, or blind them.

3D for football is the bomb.  Only saw it at a Best Buy, but loved it. Not sure I could wear 3D glasses for a whole game though.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #858 of 928

Quote:
Quote:
Skylab:
BTW: I was rooting for Oregon.

Me too. I was on the fence early, then Fairely reminded me what a tool he was. After that, it was all Ducks. Kelly is also such a fun coach to watch. The guy has stones. I love that. 

Did I mention their uni's were sweet? Yeah I know I did. The knee braces even had the day glo on them! I also loved the matching socks and shoes, reminded me of the look of those old school tape jobs back in the astro turf days. 

Another aside, I watched the first half in 3D. That was awesome. I know many scoff at 3D. But I'm telling you, sports fans should love that tech. 

Fairley is a THUG. After the NFL, he will probably be in prison.

The Uni's were garish.  I'm not sure whether Oregon was trying to scare Auburn, or blind them.

3D for football is the bomb.  Only saw it at a Best Buy, but loved it. Not sure I could wear 3D glasses for a whole game though.

Man, that is just his onfield personna.  Off the field he is a decent guy.   He knocked our QB out of the game in the first half but it was a clean hit.  He weighs 315 and is fast so when he nails you it is going to hurt.  He made a dumb move last night but for the most part he was a beast.  He will be a perfect fit for the NFL.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #859 of 928
Oh, he will be a great NFL player, no doubt, and he will make plenty of money to pay all the fines he will get for unnecessary roughness
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #860 of 928
D-line players don't get fined so much as the LB/secondaries in the NFL. I loved the Duck's uniforms, too bad they only helped on the 2-point conversions. Oregon was 2/2 on those, this game was theirs if they would have run one of those 2-point plays inside the five yard line instead of getting stuffed by Fairly and company four straight times; that goal line stand should not have happened.

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #861 of 928
I'm truly honored to receive this award of esteem and approbation! I consider HeadFi a notch above other sites out there, so this is indeed a special treat. I'd like to thank all involved who made this event possible -- there's so many of you and I so little time. I'd finally like to acknowledge Canadian Club Whiskey. I couldn't have done this without you!
tongue_smile.gif

The MNC game ended the way it should have. I, like the fruitless others, had all my juju behind the Ducks, hoping for a much needed humbling of the all-mighty SEC. . . but Auburn proved the better team. Indeed, over the course of the season it has been this Auburn team that has made the big and timely plays. Auburn, you deserved to win.

And Les Miles is staying put. I'm a bit sad, honestly.

Edit: I just saw where ESPN has OU as the #1 team going into next season. No!

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #862 of 928
J W: "The MNC game ended the way it should have."

I don't know about that, here is an interesting article:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/No-Michael-Dyer-wasn-t-down-unless-he-was-de?urn=ncaaf-306198

Now would it have changed anything if he had been ruled down, that is the question but IMO this puts a taint on Auburn's victory. Either the stripes got it wrong last night or they got it wrong in the Sugar Bowl.

"ARTICLE 3. A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle or declare it dead:
a. When it goes out of bounds other than a kick that scores after touching the uprights or crossbar, when a ball carrier is out of bounds, or when a ball carrier is so held that his forward progress is stopped. When in question, the ball is dead.
b. When any part of the ball carrier's body, except his hand or foot, touches the ground or when the ball carrier is tackled or otherwise falls and loses possession of the ball as he contacts the ground with any part of his body, except his hand or foot. ..."

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #863 of 928
knew he was down. I called it on the first replay.

thats my interpretation of the rule as it states atleast

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #864 of 928
I thought the same, but that left pic doesn't strike me as conclusive, more like the viewer will see what they, or their rooting interest wishes to. 

J W:
Edit: I just saw where ESPN has OU as the #1 team going into next season. No!

They're not the only one btw. I've seen four different outlets with the same opine. The official polls are usually more stodgy, so it still may not happen hopefully. 

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #865 of 928
i like to think of it as would he have been able to keep a knee or other definitive proof of down if there wasnt a guy directly under him. there is no way that he could in that position

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #866 of 928
Fairley is a thug. He should have been tossed from the game for his shenanigans - I don't think 15 yards is enough for flagrant personal fouls.

Auburn won, fairly. But I'm disappointed that Oregon dropped their usual offensive game. They usually let the QB make the reads and call the plays, and damned fast. It seemed like Oregon slowed down to let Kelly call the plays. If Oregon had let the O run a fast game, like they did all season, the Auburn D would have been too tired to adequately defend them. I blame the loss on Kelly, for abandoning what made Oregon so fearsome.

Though lots of credit to Auburn. Their defense is tough and they played very, very well. They deserved this win.

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #867 of 928

Quote:
Fairley is a thug. He should have been tossed from the game for his shenanigans - I don't think 15 yards is enough for flagrant personal fouls.

Auburn won, fairly. But I'm disappointed that Oregon dropped their usual offensive game. They usually let the QB make the reads and call the plays, and damned fast. It seemed like Oregon slowed down to let Kelly call the plays. If Oregon had let the O run a fast game, like they did all season, the Auburn D would have been too tired to adequately defend them. I blame the loss on Kelly, for abandoning what made Oregon so fearsome.

Though lots of credit to Auburn. Their defense is tough and they played very, very well. They deserved this win.

They were faced with to many third and longs to let the QB make the calls.  Also, it is to hard to have an uptempo offense when there are TV timeouts every 3 or 4 minutes.  Oregon was just faced with a level of competition that they were not used to and it showed.  That team had 6 victories aginst top 25 teams and the Ducks only had 1. The Tigers were also used to having to come from behind.  Fairley is not a thug.  He is a Beast.

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #868 of 928
RonnieLee, maybe you were in the kitchen getting a snack or a beer when Fairley shoved LaMichael James head into the ground after he was well down?  That's thug, not "beast".  Sorry. 

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #869 of 928
Thuuuuuug. Here is my further take on that. It's one thing to get nasty with a big O-Lineman. It's rough and tumble in the trenches. It's another to pick on a kid whom weighs one hundred pounds less. Not only that, James was down with his back to Fairly; total punk move that reeks of poor character. If I ever saw my boy pull that in a football game, I would chew his butt. And it wasn't an isolated incident with 90. He has a well earned reputation. 

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #870 of 928
Did any of you see the complete post-game show?  They had a good interview with Fairely.  Asked him what he said to James after the game.  Said he told him to keep his head up because they played a good game.  Went on to explain how they hung out in Orlando and became freinds, but when they were on the field it was buisness.  Being a rough player on the field does not make you a thug.  It just makes you a rough player.  Viro, if you want to learn the definition of thug, read some of the articles about your Sooners under Switzer.   And to Skylab, I saw the play, but in all fairness I have seen a lot worse.  That was uncalled for, but it was more of a player trying to intmidate someone than trying to hurt them.  They had been jaw-jacking each other all night 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back