2010 College Football Thread
Jan 12, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #871 of 928
ronnielee54:
Being a rough player on the field does not make you a thug. 

Sure it does when the guy weighs a  hundred pounds less and is on the ground with his back tuned. If a Sooner did it, I would have said the same the same thing, like a similar situation that involved Duke Robinson in 08. 

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #872 of 928
Yeah, that's my beef with it.  What the "big uglies" on both sides of the ball do to each other is one thing.  A 300 lb lineman shoving a 180 lb RB's head into the turf is way over the top, IMO.  It's a penalty, and he was called for it, but IMO there is no place for that sort of thing.  Clean hits are all good.  Dirty hits are not. 

Anyway, 'nuff said, JMO, etc. etc.

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #873 of 928
My beef with the game was that on many occasions it seemed like a player was making a nice breakaway run either past the line of scrimmage or after a catch for what probably would have made a much more exciting and higher scoring game, only to slip to the ground untackled because the field was so slippery. I feel both teams lost first downs and scores from poor playing conditions on the turf.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #874 of 928

Quote:
Quote:
Fairley is a thug. He should have been tossed from the game for his shenanigans - I don't think 15 yards is enough for flagrant personal fouls.

Auburn won, fairly. But I'm disappointed that Oregon dropped their usual offensive game. They usually let the QB make the reads and call the plays, and damned fast. It seemed like Oregon slowed down to let Kelly call the plays. If Oregon had let the O run a fast game, like they did all season, the Auburn D would have been too tired to adequately defend them. I blame the loss on Kelly, for abandoning what made Oregon so fearsome.

Though lots of credit to Auburn. Their defense is tough and they played very, very well. They deserved this win.

They were faced with to many third and longs to let the QB make the calls.  Also, it is to hard to have an uptempo offense when there are TV timeouts every 3 or 4 minutes.  Oregon was just faced with a level of competition that they were not used to and it showed.  That team had 6 victories aginst top 25 teams and the Ducks only had 1. The Tigers were also used to having to come from behind.  Fairley is not a thug.  He is a Beast.

I agree that Auburn played well, that is for sure but the Ducks did not play well and still came within a yard and a wrist of victory. This was anybody's game, and I am not sure the best team won but the team that played their best did.

Whatever Fairley is or isn't, he will be also be a very wealthy man very soon.

edit: Russ Lande presents the latest mock draft:

1. Carolina Panthers—Nick Fairley*, DT, Auburn
2. Denver Broncos—Da'Quan Bowers*, DE, Clemson
3. Buffalo Bills—Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
4. Cincinnati Bengals—Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
5. Arizona Cardinals—Blaine Gabbert*, QB, Missouri
6. Cleveland Browns—A.J. Green*, WR, Georgia
7. San Francisco 49ers—Jake Locker, QB, Washington
8. Tennessee Titans—Patrick Peterson*, CB, LSU
9. Dallas Cowboys—Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
10. Washington Redskins—Ryan Mallett*, QB, Arkansas

(* - denotes junior or third-year sophomore)

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #875 of 928
Everyone keeps saying the Ducks did not play well.  Is it out of the realm of possibility that they were faced with an opponent that did not allow them to operate their offense the way they had all season.  Both teams probably faced the toughest competition they had seen all season.  Cam Newton didn't have the numbers he is used to seeing and Oregon for sure didn't.  Oregon didn't score 50+ points because the Tigers front 4 wouldn't let them, not because of bad calls or poor coaching as some have tried to imply.  It was a game between 1 and 2.  It shouldn't be a blowout.

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #876 of 928

Quote:
Everyone keeps saying the Ducks did not play well.  Is it out of the realm of possibility that they were faced with an opponent that did not allow them to operate their offense the way they had all season.  Both teams probably faced the toughest competition they had seen all season.  Cam Newton didn't have the numbers he is used to seeing and Oregon for sure didn't.  Oregon didn't score 50+ points because the Tigers front 4 wouldn't let them, not because of bad calls or poor coaching as some have tried to imply.  It was a game between 1 and 2.  It shouldn't be a blowout.

I for one DID say Auburn outplayed them, for sure, and showed dominance on the line of scrimage.  Auburn definitely appeared to be the better team, but only by a thin margin...

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #877 of 928

Quote:

I agree that Auburn played well, that is for sure but the Ducks did not play well and still came within a yard and a wrist of victory. This was anybody's game, and I am not sure the best team won but the team that played their best did.

i said the same thing to a guy at work, and then he quoted vince lombardi, "if you cant get a yard, you dont deserve a championship"

and all i have to stay is that im stoked to play LSU at cowboy stadium to start the season this year!! our out of conference opponents wont be nearly as easy as they were last year

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #878 of 928
My point was that they were trying to get that yard into the teeth of the best D-line in college football, so they went about it the wrong way. Great Lombardi quote though.

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #879 of 928
Good grief, guys.
I just got back from Arizona, where I witnessed my beloved Tigers win their first championship of the modern era.

And, I plug back into Head-Fi, only to find a bunch of blathering about turf conditions, dirty hits, poor officiating, and poor commentating.

Well.  I guess I shouldn't expect anything else.  And I certainly shouldn't expect a "well done, chaps" from anyone. 
rolleyes.gif

After all, none of you Yanks or West Coast boys were pulling for the Tigers.
And, most of you undecided folks were swayed by the bulls#!t media, and perhaps by the unsportsmanlike play of one Auburn player - Nick Fairley.

Oh well....
I can't say that I disagree about Fairley.  He embarrasses me as an Auburn fan.

But, on the rest?
Guys - careful, or somebody might have to call sour grapes.

It wasn't the turf conditions, or Chip Kelly's play calling, or the 36 days off, or anything else that kept Oregon from scoring their usual 50.
It was Auburn's front four.
Oregon didn't decide to play slower.  And TV time-outs didn't make them play slower - heck, they played on TV all year long, didn't they?
It was defensive disruption.  Period.

And, regardless of what the score reads, and regardless of Oregon bringing the score even with 3:00 to go, the margin certainly did not seem small to me, from where I was sitting.

Here's one stat I'm particularly proud of:
Michael Dyer:  142 yards
Oregon Ducks:  75 yards

Anyway, Head-Fi.  I'm proud of my Tigers.
But, I guess I'll have to get my jollies elsewhere. 
wink.gif

I'll leave you guys with a hearty WAR EAGLE any dang way!!

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #880 of 928

Quote:
It wasn't the turf conditions, or Chip Kelly's play calling, or the 36 days off, or anything else that kept Oregon from scoring their usual 50.
It was Auburn's front four.
Oregon didn't decide to play slower.  And TV time-outs didn't make them play slower - heck, they played on TV all year long, didn't they?
It was defensive disruption.  Period.

Totally agree.

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #881 of 928
Well Kelly's play calling certainly worked out on those 2-point conversions, too bad he didn't call a play like that in the red zone to get that yard. But congrats to Auburn, well done. They were definitely the best team on the field that day, and that's all that matters.
deadhorse.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #882 of 928
Wuss, I agree with your post  100%.  The score might have been close, but the game really wasn't.  It was not abnormal for the Tigers to score less than 30.  They have done it probably half a dozen times this year.  For the Ducks it was a different story.  They were completely taken out of their normal game.  Congrats and enjoy your championship.  We will be waiting for your Tigers in Fayetteville next year
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #883 of 928
I don't see how it's possible to say the game wasn't close.  Oregon, if they had scored on that 4th and 1, could easily have won.  Auburn dominated in the trenches, but Thomas made some huge plays against the Auburn secondary.

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #884 of 928

Quote:
My beef with the game was that on many occasions it seemed like a player was making a nice breakaway run either past the line of scrimmage or after a catch for what probably would have made a much more exciting and higher scoring game, only to slip to the ground untackled because the field was so slippery. I feel both teams lost first downs and scores from poor playing conditions on the turf.

Excuuse me Mr. Wuss-
Notice where I'm from.
I don't believe guys falling down without being tackled changed the outcome of the game; merely robbed us of watching a few more exciting plays
Now I'm gonna duck

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #885 of 928

Quote:
I don't see how it's possible to say the game wasn't close.  Oregon, if they had scored on that 4th and 1, could easily have won.  Auburn dominated in the trenches, but Thomas made some huge plays against the Auburn secondary.

Scorewise it was close no doubt.  I am talking about a team being completely taken out of their normal agme.  Auburn has had a lot of close game all year.  Oregon has pretty much had their way with whomever they faced.  As far as who dominated who, it wasn't close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back