2009 College Football Thread
Sep 27, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #106 of 1,108
LMAO Virometal! Nice one.

So this week the #4, 5, 6, and 9th ranked teams ALL lost, and LSU probably should have. Wow.

Impressive win by the Tide. Impressive win by the Hokies. Impressive win by the Hawkeyes. Pretty good win by South Florida, too - FSU is a wacky team, beating BYU and then losing to USF...

Notre Dame, another unimpressive win. I will be saying that every week until they lose to USC...

And of course, I went up to Evanston only to watch my Cats lose another heartbreaker. 2 weeks in a row we killed ourselves with a late turnover in a very winable game, in spite of playing sub-par on defense in both games.

Weeks where NU loses and ND wins are tough for me. At least Illinois lost, and looked aweful doing it
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #108 of 1,108
Top 20 impressions:

Oregon 42 - Cal 3
Talk about a beat down, complete and total devastation after all the talk that this was the year Cal could win Pac 10.........
USC needs to get QB position stabilized to keep on top

Va Tech 31 - Miami 7
I thought Miami was real contender with hot QB Harris, but this was real wake up call exposing many cracks in facade, bad weather caused real problems but Hokies showed thier dominance, back to the drawing board for "U".

Alabama 35 - Arkansas 7
Extremely impressive win, Crimson tide get my vote for #1 team in country, they must survive a brutal SEC schedule however..........

Iowa 21 - Penn State 10
Hawkeyes look like they can win Big Ten but this maybe weakest crop of teams in recent memory, Ohio State ranked 13 is extremely over rated........Cincinnati is best football team in Ohio and looks poised to run the table in Big East for another BCS bowl game berth

LSU, Notre Dame and Michigan looked very unimpressive in thier wins..........

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #109 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Barkley looked strong yesterday - no worries there as long as he stays healthy. The problems were (IIRC) 13 penalties and some sloppy play. If you took away the penalties, you would have had about a 45 point shutout. They'll get there, but Pete needs to coach the fundamentals to get rid of the penalties.

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #110 of 1,108
Quote:

Top 20 impressions:

Oregon 42 - Cal 3
Talk about a beat down, complete and total devastation after all the talk that this was the year Cal could win Pac 10.........

Va Tech 31 - Miami 7
I thought Miami was real contender with hot QB Harris, but this was real wake up call exposing many cracks in facade, bad weather caused real problems but Hokies showed thier dominance, back to the drawing board for "U".

Alabama 35 - Arkansas 7
Extremely impressive win, Crimson tide get my vote for #1 team in country, they must survive a brutal SEC schedule however..........

Iowa 21 - Penn State 10
Hawkeyes look like they can win Big Ten but this maybe weakest crop of teams in recent memory, Ohio State ranked 13 is extremely over rated........Cincinnati is best football team in Ohio and looks poised to run the table in Big East for another BCS bowl game berth

LSU, Notre Dame and Michigan looked very unimpressive in thier wins..........

As a Hawkeye student, that game last night was pretty good, too bad i had to leave in the 4th quarter.

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #111 of 1,108
LSU by the hair of their chiny chin chin. Right down to the wire. Fun win. I'll enjoy it while I can.

Quote:

Oregon 42 - Cal 3

I dreamed last night Cal beats the Stove Top out of USC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well we got it put on us by Bama big time. This could be sign of bad things to come for the hogs. Got to be optomistic though and give Petrino some time.

I thought 17 was a hell of spread. I lost $10 to a drunk Rhode Islander I didn't know.

Edit: Damn, I just check. It was only 9.5. The sauced guy told be 17 and I still lost.

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #112 of 1,108
Quote:

Iowa 21 - Penn State 10

Why, pray tell, is OSU "overrated". If anything, they're underrated. And why all the OSU hate anyway? Oklahoma has had the exact same dominance in its league and failure in big games, and no one hates on them.

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #113 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why, pray tell, is OSU "overrated". If anything, they're underrated. And why all the OSU hate anyway? Oklahoma has had the exact same dominance in its league and failure in big games, and no one hates on them.

Every team in Big Ten in over rated, Ohio State just the most glaring example
now that Nittany Lions have been exposed

OSU just barely beat Navy at home, Pryor passes for 82 yds against weak Illinois defense.......this will not get the job done against any legit top 20 team outside the Big Ten...........

I think Iowa beats OSU later this year and perhaps 1 more Big Ten loss, also as I said before Cincinnati is best football team in Ohio this year..........just my opinion since they will not play each other this year

Sep 27, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #114 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oklahoma has had the exact same dominance in its league and failure in big games, and no one hates on them.

Rightfully or wrongly, its league is more highly regarded and can claim another recent MNC winner in Texas 05. Still, maybe it's my perspective, but OU receives plenty of hate. Chokelahoma is the common cut, and by god the Sooners have earned it lately.

To me the best thing for the Big Ten, is that Michigan get back to being Michigan. Penn State kind of slipped into the power vacuum, and I don't know if they're worthy. Geesh, I was looking at that team last night and shaking my head. Top Five? Heck, half the teams in the SEC are better than that. Apparently, the Lions are having one of their better recruiting years. So that is a bright sign.

Sep 27, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #115 of 1,108
Quote:

Pryor passes for 82 yds against weak Illinois defense.......

Not impressive, but it was raining heavily, and they were running the ball very effectively - if you were the coach, you wouldn't have called pass plays either. It's not a meaningful statistic, if you watched the game.

A little early to be crapping on the Big Ten (other than those of you who like to make it your main sport
biggrin.gif
). Outside of the SEC, it's pretty hard to say there's another conference that looks super-fabulous, yet.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #116 of 1,108
True, true. This may be the worst batch of Big 12 teams since 05. Okie State has been a huge dissapointment. I never bought the top ten hype, but they haven't even played like a top 25 team yet, with the Georgia win having lost some luster.

Sammy B has been cleared for full contact, so hopefully that'll help OU. *fingers crossed* Betcha, there's a good chance Miami still clips them. Colorado is horrible. Tech had a mini player revolt over the weekend. Leach made a bad strategic move, that probably cost them a win over Houston. Texas is Texas. Baylor lost their starting QB and best player to an ACL. Nebraska looks good, Kansas solid. I'll wait to judge Mizzou and aTm. Iowa State is bad as usual...

The preceding was certified homer breakdown!

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #117 of 1,108
Quote:

Still, maybe it's my perspective, but OU receives plenty of hate.

Not on a national level. Watch any of the ESPN or other network commentators talk about Oklahoma. Then watch then talk about OSU. The difference is shocking. On a local level, I have no doubt that OU fans are annoyed and make that known, but on a national level there's a clear double standard.

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #118 of 1,108
Maybe you're right, but I need something more quantitative than that. In my experience, fans tend to pick out affronts against their teams and conference more easily. tOSU is right back in the top ten in both polls. Not too many voters hold whatever reputation against them.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #120 of 1,108
I forgot to mention, did anyone catch the TT-Houston game? Wow it was great! Keenum is probably the best player in the country no one is talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back