2009 College Football Thread
Oct 5, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #136 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see UF and Bama beating them but no way on the Auburn. What a lot of people don't realize is that more often than not ratings and statistics don't mean a whole lot in the SEC. LSU is one of those teams that can go on tear and win when they shouldn't then turn around and not win when they should. I know this describes a lot of teams but LSU is strating to do this on a regular basis.

LSU next gets well rested Gator team coming off bye week, unless Tim Tebow is strapped to hospital bed he will play and have something to prove to team & fans.....at LSU's expense

Fla has pretty easy SEC schedule remaining after LSU with no Alabama game this year and weak Fla State team.......but then the SEC championship game east vs west looms, very likely: Alabama vs Florida

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #137 of 1,108
I certainly agree that rankings and stats do not mean everything, no doubt. But usually where there is smoke, there is at least some fire, and I did not see a very good offense playing the Dawgs. But again, it's the only LSU game I've seen his year.

LOTS of interesting SEC matchups coming up Saturday - we get UF - LSU, Alabama - Ole Miss, Auburn - Arkansas...

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #138 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm...I am not sold on LSU.

"Best Looking" and "Best" are two different things.
wink.gif
I like comparing athletes and overall, LSU matches up with anyone. Now about the qb situation...

I think the Tigers are going to give UF a game at night in Death Valley. They're a physical, big football team.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #139 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Best Looking" and "Best" are two different things.
wink.gif
I like comparing athletes and overall, LSU matches up with anyone. Now about the qb situation...

I think the Tigers are going to give UF a game at night in Death Valley. They're a physical, big football team.

Ahhhhh...I read you now.

And don't misunderstand - I will be happy for LSU to beat UF. I actually will be pulling hard for Auburn from here on out in the SEC - just so we get something DIFFERENT there.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #141 of 1,108
Oh, I'd say it's far more than a pipe dream. I think 'Bama could very well do it. Some tough games between then and now, though, to be sure. I'm sure 'Bama is not welcoming an improved Auburn club.

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #142 of 1,108
Quote:

Oh, I'd say it's far more than a pipe dream. I think 'Bama could very well do it. Some tough games between then and now, though, to be sure. I'm sure 'Bama is not welcoming an improved Auburn club.

Bad thing about that game is as in most rivalries, all the rankings can be tossed out. When those two play, either team is more than capable of winning no matter how they are ranked.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #144 of 1,108
Well, no super-big surprises yesterday, except maybe Arkansas beating Auburn like that - I didn't see any of that game, but I guess I overrated the Auburn squad a little, not that Arkansas is a bad team - on the contrary, they have played very well at times.

Entertaining game between Iowa and Michigan - been a while since the Hawkeyes were the top team in the Big Ten this late in the season. Their November 14 date with the Buckeyes looks like the default B10 championship game for now.

Ohio State, you owe Wisconsin a great debt of gratitude for handing you that football game the way they did.

LSU - impressive defense, but the lack of offense was exposed badly by the Gators. Then again, Tennessee's handling of Georgia makes one wonder if perhaps the Gators really are the best team in the country, after all...although 'Bama also sure looked good.

The Quack Attack looks to be for real...their game with USC should be a very tough test for the Trojans.

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #145 of 1,108
Quote:

Ohio State, you owe Wisconsin a great debt of gratitude for handing you that football game the way they did.

Don't want to beat a dead horse but Big Ten teams are extremely over rated this year, Pryor 87 yds passing? Only in Big Ten could you win a game with that performance.........Iowa is best team and will beat OSU, they will earn bowl game with defeats of Penn St, Michigan, and OSU as they run the Big Ten gauntlet

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #146 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't want to beat a dead horse but Big Ten teams are extremely over rated this year, Pryor 87 yds passing? Only in Big Ten could you win a game with that performance.........Iowa is best team and will beat OSU, they will earn bowl game with defeats of Penn St, Michigan, and OSU as they run the Big Ten gaunlet

I disagree that the Big Ten is over-rated, because I don;t think they are rated very highly. 5-0 Wisconsin wasn't even in the AP top 25! That's not a lot of respect for the Big Ten - which I agree so far it hasn't deserved.

But let's wait and see how the bowls go. Let's not forget that people said the same thing about tOSU last year you are now saying, and then they took Texas right to the wire in the bowl game with them...

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #147 of 1,108
Quote:

LSU - impressive defense, but the lack of offense was exposed badly by the Gators. Then again, Tennessee's handling of Georgia makes one wonder if perhaps the Gators really are the best team in the country, after all...although 'Bama also sure looked good.

Talk about winning ugly, when was last game Tebow had 134 yds passing and Gators had more rushing yards than passing? Gators had almost no passing offense (I suppose to protect Tebow) and had to run into a stacked
LSU line all night, very sloppy play with 15 penalties for both teams.

LSU weak offense again exposed with big floodlights, 96 yds passing for SEC team.......will not get the job done in this league. Crimson Tide have been the obvious best team for a couple weeks now, table is set for Fla vs Alabama
SEC championship, if played next week Fla would get smoked

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #148 of 1,108
Quote:

I disagree that the Big Ten is over-rated, because I don;t think they are rated very highly. 5-0 Wisconsin wasn't even in the AP top 25! That's not a lot of respect for the Big Ten - which I agree so far it hasn't deserved.

Now after 6 games the proper order of things is emerging, but remember 2 weeks ago Penn St was top 5 and Ohio State was top 10.......that was over rated
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #149 of 1,108
I agree with that - but early rankings are ALWAYS wrong, across the board, not just the Big Ten. Was Ole Miss worthy of #4? No. Should Oregon have been unranked? Nope. And on and on...

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #150 of 1,108
Quote:

The Quack Attack looks to be for real...their game with USC should be a very tough test for the Trojans.

Yes that will be great Pac 10 showdown in two weeks.......
USC is getting better every week as QB position matures, still have even more upside by year end

Va Tech Hokies
This is the team to watch, looks like beat down of Miami U last week was no weather related fluke.......very impressive 48-14 win over tough Boston College

Users who are viewing this thread

Back