2009 College Football Thread
Sep 21, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #76 of 1,108
I actually think the Sooners look like the better team than Texas, but admittedly I've only seen bits and pieces of Texas up until Saturday, and only bits of OU since the BYU game.

Sep 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #77 of 1,108
I hope you're right of course. Texas has made a habit of starting off slow the last couple of years, so I don't know. We'll see more about OU, and if some questions have been answered when they play at Miami in two weeks.

But as you said, it is shaping up to be another crazy year. That would seem to be more the norm anymore. Parity has taken hold more than ever, and the qb is as important as ever. USC has all the talent in the world. Still, trot them out with a shaky signal caller against a playmaking counterpart, and there's blood in the water.

That's my take anyway.

Sep 21, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #78 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Parity has taken hold more than ever, and the qb is as important as ever. USC has all the talent in the world. Still, trot them out with a shaky signal caller against a playmaking counterpart, and there's blood in the water.

That's my take anyway.

It's also the 3rd year in a row that USC has lost to an unranked opponent, kinda weird for the amount of talent they have.

As you said with QB's- it can be applied to the Texas-OU matchup. Whether it's a banged up/rusty Bradford or a green Jones, Texas will more than likely have the advantage at QB. I'm not handing the game to Texas though, OU will play anyone tough for sure.

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #79 of 1,108
I don't know if Oregon State last year should count. They finished ranked last year and won a bowl game. We'll see about U-Dub. Maybe they'll go onto a decent year. They played LSU tight as well. The Tigers aren't fielding any dogs. My point is that early rankings are all-of-the-time an accurate barometer. I do see your point though. Yet still, do you honestly expect USC to never lose a game?

You're spot on about OU-Texas. That's exactly why I won't predict an OU win. We'll see if Sammy B can get back by Baylor or if LJ continues to play well. Even then, the Sooner O-Line is going to have to continue to improve. On the other hand, the Big 12 is no gimme. Someone other than the Sooners might bite the Horns. Kansas State pulled out a shocker in Austin a couple years ago. Conference play is funny. Everyone knows everyone's soft spots. Even the best teams lose concentration or can run into a tough matchup in the midst of a long season.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #80 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's also the 3rd year in a row that USC has lost to an unranked opponent, kinda weird for the amount of talent they have.

Eh, I'm used to it. Every year, they've lost to someone they shouldn't have. Except '04, the my senior year, and the last time I went to every game. Coincidence?
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #81 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And who in the SEC is really going to challenge Florida? I guess Alabama and LSU are the best bets.

I would not rule out Ole Miss in that mix. As much as I despise their coach (our ex-coach), I really think they might pull it off. The SEC is a brutal conference. Right now we have 6 in the top 25. Pretty much the same story every year but when conference play roles around they start killing each other off. Hell, my team (Arkansas) broke 2 school records this saturday, and still got beat by Georgia. Who would think a quarterback could throw 5 td passes and no interceptions in a game and loose by 10 points. Fricking unbelievable.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #82 of 1,108
I agree totally - you must have missed my more recent post
wink.gif
:

Quote:

> I think Ole Miss might beat FLA again, too.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #84 of 1,108
LOL! I definitely think 'Bama can take FLA. Bama is battle tested against VaTech - Florida really isn't.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #85 of 1,108
Quote:

LOL! I definitely think 'Bama can take FLA. Bama is battle tested against VaTech - Florida really isn't.

I agree. They did not look all that impressive against the Vols in the swamp this weekend. Better step it up before they start facing the SEC West. The West is alot tougher this year than in the past

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #86 of 1,108
Is Virginia Tech really that good? Their offense is anemic and their D-Line isn't as good as the last couple of years. They escaped at home against Nebraska - a solid but by not means elite squad. Not to mention, Taylor still can't throw a ball. Personally, I won't crown Bama for an opening week, ten point VT win.

I have a simple philosophy where ranking contenders. When teams seem comparable, slot according to D-Line and QB. UF and Bama D-Lines are scratches. QB: Florida. Tebow is a goose, and I'm sick of him but darn if all he does is win football games.

Speaking of D-lines, another reason I'm not sold on Ole Miss. Me thinks their riding the buzz from last year and cold hard reality will crash down when conference play begins. They lost valued stock in the trenches. It's going to catch up with them. Maybe they're a top ten team, just because there are so many flawed looking squads out there. However, my guess is that they're not.

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #88 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, I'm used to it. Every year, they've lost to someone they shouldn't have. Except '04, the my senior year, and the last time I went to every game. Coincidence?
biggrin.gif

My sophomore year was '91. The 3-8-1 season. I stood behind the team then and think back to it every time they drop a game. Helps to keep things in perspective.
smily_headphones1.gif

The good news is that the team always goes on a tear after the annual unexpected loss. They got it out of the way early this year so, hopefully, the kids realize that they're not infallible and need to work hard.

I give credit to Washington for playing a good game. They deserved the win. But I hope 'SC gets the errors out and shapes up. I'm hoping for another Pac-10 title, defeating UCLA and Notre Dame, and another BCS bid. I'd love another championship game, but that might not be in the cards this year.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #89 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't wait to not have to hear about Tebow anymore. Just think, this time next year, he will be riding a bench somewhere, or smashed between the likes of Harrison and Polamalu, or Umenyiora and Tuck.

Even if that happens, which I doubt it will, he will still be laughing all the way to the bank. The guy is a natural born leader, and that is worth a lot of bucks.

Sep 24, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #90 of 1,108
Gamecock football, Thursday nights on ESPiN! Tune in for...

Hard hitting Ole Miss is on the rise analysis
Spurrier's I'd rather be golfing face
The maddenly inconsistent play of Stephen Garcia
Pony's lovable self defacing humor
Take a drink for every time you hear "SEC defense"
Jesse Palmer with throw out at least one "fun n gun"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back