2009 College Football Thread
Sep 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #61 of 1,108
Quote:

Arainach! Nice to have you back in the thread. How did your new QB look? Since NU doesn't play Michigan or tOSU this year, PSU and your Spartans look like the toughest games on our schedule, and our game with you is in East Lansing.

I'll tell you after Saturday. Most reports indicate that both of them performed well, and I wasn't able to see the game this last Saturday because the Big Ten Network had the rights to about 4 games in that timeblock and broadcast Penn State out here in Seattle instead. You'd think with 300 TV channels and the "Sports" package I could get Michigan State games, but I digress.....

Anyhow, the game this Saturday is on ESPN2 so I should finally be able to see them and figure out who's looking good.

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #62 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't know that this really means that much for the ACC in the big picture,

Did you happen to check out those horses running around? Last year, I touted both North Carolina and Miami as future legitimate NC contenders. Both may be a year or two off, but I think one can see the potential. Now, Randy Shannon is the big ? for Miami. We'll see how they navigate the rest of their bruising schedule. Give that team NU's, and heck they might be in Pasadena this year!
tongue.gif

I'm still pretty solid on North Carolina. As for FSU, word I get from my pals, is that Bowden is of the mind that FSU will be in the hunt for a crystal ball soon too. Maybe SA Nole will have something to say.

The Acc could be ready to blow up sooner or later. When it was formed, we all saw the potential. It may be ready to achieve it.

I still like USC to cover tomorrow. OU has Idaho State (7:00 est ugh) up, so you betcha I might skip out at half to watch the festivities. Please be a good game...please be a good game...please be a good game...

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #63 of 1,108
So with Baylor having beaten Wake last week, is Colorado the worst team in the Big 12? Sure looks like it...I seriously doubt they expected to be 0-2 already, without a single B12 game being played...

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #64 of 1,108
Baylor has the makings of a solid squad this year. They might just make it to a bowl with that huge WF win. Briles has picked up recruiting, they have a new indoor practice facility, so the future is bright at the moment. There is one problem. They play in the Big 12 South. There's not much headroom in that crowded division.

Dan Hawkins made some noise this past Big 12 media days by predicting ten wins. He later retreated from it and downgraded his prediction to a "goal.". I bet the outspoken coach wishes he would of kept his mouth shut. One has the sense, that barring a dramatic reversal, Hawkins is coaching his last season. Oh how far gone do the days of McCartney seem!

Is Colorado now the worst? I doubt it. Iowa State has been perched on that mantel, and last week's win over a FCS squad won't change any minds. I might pass the buck if ISU should somehow beat Iowa today - not totally far fetched in that unpredictable rivalry.

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #65 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll tell you after Saturday. Most reports indicate that both of them performed well, and I wasn't able to see the game this last Saturday because the Big Ten Network had the rights to about 4 games in that timeblock and broadcast Penn State out here in Seattle instead. You'd think with 300 TV channels and the "Sports" package I could get Michigan State games, but I digress.....

Anyhow, the game this Saturday is on ESPN2 so I should finally be able to see them and figure out who's looking good.

Well, the game didn't resolve many questions, but it's not bad. I like our offense - both QBs are good; I really like Keith Nichol but Cousins isn't bad either. The Running Backs are also great - I was very impressed with Caper, and Ray wasn't bad either.

Our defense is pathetic - we put NO pressure on the quarterback. Our special teams are worse - they needed to simply stand back and not touch the ball to win hte game and they couldn't do it. Then CMU missed the last field goal and we were offsides, so we gave them a second shot 5 yards closer and of course they made it. We GAVE them the game. Same old Spartans.

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #66 of 1,108
Oh, hell. That Ohio State v. USC game was not what I expected.

Yes, I'm happy with the W and the come from behind drive had me jumping around the living room.

Ohio State played tough and didn't make many mistakes. If it had gone the other way, there would be zero sour grapes. I hope they have a great season and win the Big 10. Ohio State deserves a BCS bid.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #67 of 1,108
Yep, great football game. OSU sure looked stout defensively in general. They have some issues to work out on offense, but of course everyone looks that way when playing USC's D
wink.gif

There were sure some interesting results again yesterday. I think BCS teams will swear off MAC teams - Mizzou, Northwestern, Indiana all just barely beat their MAC opponents, and MSU didn't. And what's with the ACC and FCS schools? FSU and Maryland barely surviving against Jax St. and James Madison, after 2 FCS schools beat ACC teams last week?

And of course Houston beating OKST was unexpected. Texas pulled away from Wyoming, but that was a 3 point game at the half. And who in the SEC is really going to challenge Florida? I guess Alabama and LSU are the best bets.

And congrats to Michigan on beating ND - I do so love to see the Irish lose
biggrin.gif

Thought I'd show you guys my family room as it looks on CFB Saturdays - this year I replaced the two smaller TV's which were CRT's with 22" HDTV's, so I can have 3 games all in HD:

IMG00096-20090912-1520.jpg

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #68 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, hell. That Ohio State v. USC game was not what I expected.
Yes, I'm happy with the W and the come from behind drive had me jumping around the living room.

Ohio State played tough and didn't make many mistakes. If it had gone the other way, there would be zero sour grapes. I hope they have a great season and win the Big 10. Ohio State deserves a BCS bid.

Ohio State still very over rated (not even best football team in OHIO, Cincinnati can beat them!) Pryor only 11-25 and almost all that in 1st half, he did not deliver in 2nd half when it really counted......not impressed

Only reason game was close was weak showing by freshman USC QB, he need lots of work but I think he will improve as season goes on, very rough right now and needs experience (like this game)

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #69 of 1,108
I'm not so sure about OSU being overrated, but the season will show what's what. USC plays ND, and OSU of course plays UM, so that will provide some answers. Looked like two pretty equally matched teams, to me.

It was way too late for me to see any, but I watched some highlights of the Oregon-Purdue game - looks like that one was a real barn-burner - Purdue missing the tying 2-point conversion at the end of the game gave the Ducks the W, but like the OSU-USC game, pretty even matchup.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #70 of 1,108
That was certainly one of the guttiest, scrap-it-out style wins (if not the most so) of the Carrol era. I am still amazed that they won that game. Aside from the gift touchdown from the interception at the beginning, USC had two decent drives the rest of the night. And they still won. I guess it is a testament to Carrol and his D as much as anything.

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #71 of 1,108
Well, Boise State survived it's BCS-buster tussle with Fresno State. That leaves only Tulsa as a real roadblock for the Broncos to go 12-0 - which is seems to me they likely will. They gave up a lot of rushing yards last night, but they still look pretty good.

Some good games today. I hope Sparty can extend it's streak against the Golden Domers, but it would be odd indeed for them to lose to CMU and then beat ND. But stranger things have happened. That game will be on the big TV during the afternoon. For the 11 kick, I plan to start with Cal-Minny, and see how things progress.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #72 of 1,108
Wow, where did everyone go? I thought this thread would be abuzz with the Dawgs upsetting the punchless Trojans. What a difference a Jake Locker makes! Sarkisian deserves some credit too I'm sure.

In my neck of the woods, ASU beat down another patsy in ULM, the D still looks stout. Their offense looked much more fluid this time with less dropped passes. UGA is going to be a massive step up next week, but I think ASU has a shot with the defense they're playing. They just have to be sure not to get into a shootout with Georgia, they don't have the offense to hang in that type of game. Go Devils!
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #73 of 1,108
Well I for one felt like I was talking to myself
wink.gif

Yep, USC and BYU going down was quite something. Was sorry to see MSU lose in the waning moments, and of course very bummed my NU Cats lost on a last second FG. Other random thoughts:

> Right now I think 'Bama looks better than FLA.

> I think Ole Miss might beat FLA again, too.

> I think Miami might be a better team than the Gators, too.

> Texas didn't look impressive, either - is TTU any good this year even? I dunno.

> How does Purdue almost beat Oregon at Oregon, and then lose at home to Northern Illinois?

> How does Iowa almost lose to Northern Iowa, and then beat Arizona?

Well - sure is an interesting year brewing...

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #74 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I for one felt like I was talking to myself
wink.gif

Yep, USC and BYU going down was quite something. Was sorry to see MSU lose in the waning moments, and of course very bummed my NU Cats lost on a last second FG. Other random thoughts:

> Right now I think 'Bama looks better than FLA.

> I think Ole Miss might beat FLA again, too.

> I think Miami might be a better team than the Gators, too.

> Texas didn't look impressive, either - is TTU any good this year even? I dunno.

> How does Purdue almost beat Oregon at Oregon, and then lose at home to Northern Illinois?

> How does Iowa almost lose to Northern Iowa, and then beat Arizona?

Well - sure is an interesting year brewing...

Ole Miss hasn't really played anyone yet so it's hard to gauge how good they really are. I do love me some Houston Nutt though, he's probably my fav coach in football.

Bama looks tough, they've actually beaten someone this year too. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Florida. Saban is about due for a national title appearance isn't he?

I can't see Miami being a better team than Florida, I think they're a little bit overhyped right now.

Texas has a weaker defense than they did last year it looks like, the offense seems pretty potent as long as McCoy is running it though. Tech typically plays them tough. Does anyone in the Big 12 have a good enough defense to slow Texas down?

As for Purdue/Oregon/NIU/Iowa/Arizona... the common denominator there is "overrated."

I think I've been most impressed by Cal so far this year. Best is looking unstoppable. I expect them to beat USC, but Stanford might beat them, that rivalry can get pretty wacky!

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #75 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer
Does anyone in the Big 12 have a good enough defense to slow Texas down?

OU has the nations no. 1 scoring defense, no. 9 total defense, no. 1 rushing defense, no. 1 tackles for loss...

I'm not predicting a Sooner win, but I bet they give 'em a game.

I think the best team in the country is, wait for it, wait for it: Florida! They struggle a little against against their first real competition, big surprise. Even if Jesus should be called to disarm North Korea, the Gator D will still be on the bus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back