2009 College Football Thread
Sep 24, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #91 of 1,108
Yeppers - nice to have a decent game tonight - I am looking forward to that! Far from the stiffest test Ole Miss will face, but they can't afford to stumble here, either.

w/r/t Va Tech - guess we'll learn soon how good they are, since they Play Miami Saturday - Miami has looked VERY good so far to me. Oddly, that is the only game featuring two top-10 teams this weekend, I believe...

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #93 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, this weekend might be the worst of the year on paper. That usually means there will be good games. I hope so, since it's bye week in Sooner land.

SC is a trendy upset pick tonight.

Yep - no clear great games, but I bet there will be some goodies. I will be up in Evanston for our game with Minny - that could be a good one, actually - right now two of the three top-rated passers in the Big 10.

And for us Midwestern Luddites, the Big Ten has two some interesting games - PSU - Iowa will be interesting, as will Wisco - MSU.

And yeah, trap game for Ole Miss for sure. But I bet they pound SC.

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #94 of 1,108
Quote:

Yeah, this weekend might be the worst of the year on paper. That usually means there will be good games. I hope so, since it's bye week in Sooner land.

SC is a trendy upset pick tonight.

Lucky you. We play Bama this weekend on the road.

9/25 Good Call on the SC upset dude. Makes me a happy camper to see old Houston go down.

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #95 of 1,108
I was worried about Ole Miss and their hog eaters. Nothing changed my mind after last night. Snead was dirtied. Spurrier did almost snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, when the c*cks went into a play calling shell later in the 3rd. You know, subtract the close loss to Georgia and South Carolina would be nestled in the top 10 with that win, don't know if they're that good though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Big Ten has two some interesting games - PSU - Iowa will be interesting, as will Wisco - MSU.

I am guilty of extreme homerism. The Big 12's schedule is horrific this weekend, so I projected it upon everyone else. Conference play has begun! There are great matchups everywhere from the Pack to Old Dixie. Don't homers suck Skylab?
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee
Lucky you. We play Bama this weekend on the road.

Quit sandbagging, you know that game could be interesting....

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #96 of 1,108
Quote:

Quit sandbagging, you know that game could be interesting....

I think it could be if we were playing them in Fayetteville. Hell we broke 2 school records playing Georgia and still lost by 10. Go figure.

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #97 of 1,108
Quote:

I am guilty of extreme homerism. The Big 12's schedule is horrific this weekend, so I projected it upon everyone else. Conference play has begun! There are great matchups everywhere from the Pack to Old Dixie. Don't homers suck Skylab?
tongue.gif

LOL! Indeed, and I am trying to broaden my horizons
biggrin.gif

SC did pull it off, as we all theorized they might. They almost choked it, but nonetheless, another top 10 team down.

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #98 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it could be if we were playing them in Fayetteville.

I defer to you of course. Just off the cuff, look at this set of rankings: #78, #84, #2. The first two are total offense for the two FBS teams Alabama has played. (Florida International is FCS). The last is the total offense ranking for the University of Arkansas Razorbacks. In other words, bama has met three teams that couldn't score on "fat chicks drink free night." Now they welcome Ryan Mallett.

Of course on the other hand, you bet Saban has been thinking about Arkansas for more than a week. Am I completely off base, to think this could be a tight one? Eh, probably so. I am off base most of the time!

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #99 of 1,108
Quote:

Of course on the other hand, you bet Saban has been thinking about Arkansas for more than a week. Am I completely off base, to think this could be a tight one? Eh, probably so. I am off base most of the time!

If we can play at even 75% of the level that we played the first 3 quarters of the Georgia came it could be close. Of coarse it will also help if we don't get 4 or 5 penalties in 1 quarter and Franklin doesn't get ejected. That ejection really hurt us on D. You can bet Saban has been thinking about us after some of the games he had with them when he was at LSU. Problem is you have to watch out for everybody in the SEC. You never know who is capable of what. That is what the Big 12 has turned into. Back in the day when I lived in Sooner country (it was Big 8 then) it was Sooners, Huskers, and on occasion the Buff's. These days it has gotten to where it can be anybody's day (with a couple of exceptions) in that conference. I don't care what anyone says. When it comes to depth IMHO the Big 12 and SEC are by far the strongest.

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #100 of 1,108
The Big 8 baybee! I was raised on it and still miss it, especially the annual OU/NU game. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. I get tired of all the darn Texas' schools. Maybe someday the Longhorns will join another conference like they always threaten to. *joke Longhorn fans* I imagine you might have some fond memories of the SWC, except for all the Texas' schools of course. Ugh, I couldn't imagine that tour!

With the 85 limit and more talent available than ever, it would seem anyone can beat anyone else anymore. I'm not touching the conference debate. Well, I will say I think the SEC is consistently the best. That's no news flash. And should I forget, all my SEC buds are quick to remind me, over and over and over...
icon10.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #101 of 1,108
Definitely doesn't take much to give the nod to the Gators. More interestingly, who is good enough to legitimately challenge? Texas, and the winner of the OSU-USC game, probably. Others?

ROLL TIDE ROLL

We can only get better.

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #104 of 1,108
Aw shucks! I think my Devils made a good account of themselves in their first visit to the SEC though. I can't help but think that game goes ASU's way with a healthy Thomas Weber (2007's Groza winner) kicking for them. It seemed like ASU's QB, Sullivan, had the yips in the first half, he was overthrowing every ball! Overall, I think ASU played well enough to deserve to win and I remain optimistic for the rest of the season thanks to that monster defense.

The rest of the Pac proved to be bipolar, Oregon trouncing Cal? Who saw that one coming? Cal looked unstoppable a week ago and everyone was writing off OU! I can say that I called the Stanford win, they're a better overall team than U-Dub. Toby Gerhart is a beast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back