2009 College Football Thread
Sep 6, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #46 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Trojan. We were pretty down on the way back, then I found out my friend died in a plane crash.

That will snap things back into perspective quickly.

--

With the decreased preseason practice allotment, I don't put that much into the first week. We'll see how the teams fare next. I will say, I don't like tOSU's chances against USC very much. Their athletes weren't very impressive to me.

Sorry to hear that virometal.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #47 of 1,108
Oh I didn't mean to draw attention to my loss, more that it can be good thing for people like myself to be reminded that football isn't everything, just almost everything.
regular_smile .gif
Thanks Longhorn.

Carry on with the football discussion please!

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #48 of 1,108
Notre Dame vs Michigan now looks to be a great game next week
Both seem to have waken up from long embarassing slumber.....

Michigan QB that doesn't tie shoelaces?.....
tongue.gif

Sooners dealt major blow with defeat by BYU, Bradford future injury status only hope, too bad he didn't go pro last year looks like mistake to come back. Those western teams like BYU, Utah, Boise St are good enough to take out one of the big boys on a good day..........

Alabama & Va Tech put on a good show for network TV, Saturday night college game great idea, better than Monday night football pro

The cupcake orgy yesterday was an embarassment like Florida vs Southern Charleston, somone has to stop this annual early scheduling abuse and make top teams play worthy games for the sake of the fans
frown.gif
(like Alabama vs Va Tech) (S. Charleston not even ranked in top 2,000 of college level teams)

BCS rankings and national polls should penalize weak non conference games and reward strong non conference schedules regardless of who wins.......stop the cupcake madness!

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #50 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what can I say about Illinois, except they looked AWFUL. I've always thought Juice was way overrated. This is just more proof. Illinois was decent when they had Rashard Mendenhall as their RB - since then, not so much.

What to make of the OSU-Navy game...given I only saw highlights later...well, clearly OSU will need to play better or they will get killed by USC. But Navy is no slouch - 8-win, Bowl team last year. USC they ain't, though...

Michigan - better to beat a MAC team 31-7 than to lose to a MAC team at home, that's for sure, and WMU was a 9-win Bowl team last year, so they don't suck.

The Juice got squeezed yesterday, looks like another long year and possible minor bowl game for Fighting Illini........Mizzou is back in the hunt again this year especially with Sooners problems

OSU Buckeyes look very vunerable this year to be passed by Penn St and/or even Michigan.........USC will give them a beating in front of home crowd

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #51 of 1,108
I was mostly happy with USC yesterday, and they did what I expected. Barkley did alrigh after a bit and they kept it simple for him. And the ground attack was punishing and effective. Next week, I think they'll put up an intense running attack again. tOSU better hope to put up points early, otherwise, 'SC will get up a few touchdowns and then strangle them. Carroll loves to put teams in a position where they're forced to pass, then lets the defense tear them apart.

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #52 of 1,108
Agree totally. If OSU gets down by two TD's, it's probably over. They Pryor will press badly, and the defense won't be able to save them against USC if that happens.

But I don't pay too much attention to how ANYONE plays against Navy. The triple-option isn't worth practicing too intensely against for a Big Ten team, since they won't see it again. And Navy looks like they have a pretty good QB running it.

And I agree, DarkAngel - suddenly ND - Michigan looks like a good game again.

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #53 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.......Mizzou is back in the hunt again this year especially with Sooners problems

Maybe in the Big 12 N, although Nebraska and Kansas will have a say. As for overall, Texas and Okie State haven't gone anywhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Next week, I think they'll put up an intense running attack again.

biggrin.gif
Really, you mean they won't break out the shotgun sets and ask Barkley to throw deep outs all day at the Shu?

I just checked the line, and it's USC -4.5. I'm on chalk right now.

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #54 of 1,108
Darn shame about Bradford.... I mean that. Hate to see a competitor like that on the side lines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe in the Big 12 N, although Nebraska and Kansas will have a say. As for overall, Texas and Okie State haven't gone anywhere.

Agreed. Okie State was on FIRE yesterday. Not looking forward to Oklahoma, Okie State (who we play there this year), and we better beat the Aggies. They tend to sneak up on us
biggrin.gif
Oh, and thank GOD Crabtree and Harrell have moved on.... Texas backup QB Gilbert didn't "sound" bad either. I listened to it on XM. 4 for 5 and a 12 yard touchdown run ain't bad for a first showing.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #55 of 1,108
Ah, Michigan-Notre Dame.....I wish they could both lose the game.

Michigan State looked impressive enough, but that's not hard to do against a cupcake opponent (I wish they would have stuck to I-A schools instead of getting Montana State). Next week will be the first real test.

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #56 of 1,108
I am certainly more optimistic about the USC-OSU game than I was before this weekend. Watching Barkley make good decisions, seeing that the defense had rebuilt successfully from scratch (again!), and, beyond all, noticing OSU look downright lethargic and nonchalant against Navy, at home no less, were all good signs.

Not to say that Barkley couldn't still have a mental meltdown, and OSU's linemen won't wake up and play hard for a big game. I still doubt the score will be as crooked as last year's.

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #57 of 1,108
ASU's defense was as advertised, completely dominating. They gave up 0 yards in the first half! Mike Nixon had 3 picks with 1 TD runback. Burfict showed some explosive ability and had few monster hits. The offense showed flashes, too many dropped passes though. Not much to talk about though since it was Idaho State. Up next is UL-M in 2 weeks, a little step up in cupcake-ness. Then off to Georgia... which I'm not as worried about after seeing their results in week 1. I think ASU's defense will allow them to hang with UGA, but I'm skeptical on whether they will be able to score enough to win. Check my confidence-o-meter in 2 weeks.
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #58 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, Michigan-Notre Dame.....I wish they could both lose the game.

Michigan State looked impressive enough, but that's not hard to do against a cupcake opponent (I wish they would have stuck to I-A schools instead of getting Montana State). Next week will be the first real test.

Arainach! Nice to have you back in the thread. How did your new QB look? Since NU doesn't play Michigan or tOSU this year, PSU and your Spartans look like the toughest games on our schedule, and our game with you is in East Lansing.

I really didn't think Colorado State would beat CU this year - last night's game was kind of a surprise. Glad we have a couple decent games today since I am off today
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #60 of 1,108
Yeah man, the Miami-FSU game was Epic. I actually re-watched the 4th quarter on ESPN Classic.

The Clemson-Ga-Tech game was also very entertaining, but in a very different way.

It's been quite a start to the CFB season! Looking forward to OSU-USC and UM-ND this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back